Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If you knew more Central and south American history you wouldn't say that.
1. We are talking about North America, not Central or South America.

2. I know plenty about Central and South American history.

3. Convince me that I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
Oddly enough, people have asked me whether I was mixed with Indian (India; not Native American), which is odd since I think I look pure bred African American!
African Americans are a mixed, hybrid people. No such thing as a "pure bred African American."

Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Mulato is no insult except for those mulattoes trying to pass as whites.
Mulatto is an antiquated term that rekindles old attitudes and resonates only with people who don't get why it's now considered somewhat offensive, and maybe a few readers of 1950's pulp fiction.

I don't know any mixed people trying to pass as white, I've never met even one, but I know lots of biracial people and mixed race families who are proud of being biracial/mixed and would like to see their own designation, such as on the census. I also know a lot of black-white biracial people who mainly self-identify as being black, or of the black community, even though they have a biracial awareness.

Hope that clarifies things a little.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Mulatto is an antiquated term that rekindles old attitudes and resonates only with people who don't get why it's now considered somewhat offensive, and maybe a few readers of 1950's pulp fiction.

I don't know any mixed people trying to pass as white, I've never met even one, but I know lots of biracial people and mixed race families who are proud of being biracial/mixed and would like to see their own designation, such as on the census. I also know a lot of black-white biracial people who mainly self-identify as being black, or of the black community, even though they have a biracial awareness.

Talk to some Latinos..........

Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I'm always asked if I'm "Spanish" (Hispanic). Oh are you Dominican, Puerto Rican, "Hondurian", etc.? All the time. Especially when I meet new people (namely school).

People will walk up to me and speak Spanish, I know enough Spanish to understand 65% of what they say but I don't know how to respond. Once I even got "Do you speak English?", it took me by surprise but I responded "Que?", however I can't keep a straight face so I ended up laughing then I said yes.

I'm mixed (Black, White, & Native American).

Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm always asked if I'm "Spanish" (Hispanic). Oh are you Dominican, Puerto Rican, "Hondurian", etc.? All the time. Especially when I meet new people (namely school).

People will walk up to me and speak Spanish, I know enough Spanish to understand 65% of what they say but I don't know how to respond. Once I even got "Do you speak English?", it took me by surprise but I responded "Que?", however I can't keep a straight face so I ended up laughing then I said yes.

I'm mixed (Black, White, & Native American).
Haha! That's funny!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post

----

Are you into Politics or something?

Old 08-26-2010, 03:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
People can never guess where I am from. Why? I'm too big of a mutt. However, people never guess that I am 1/4 Finnish. It's because I have extremely dark hair and typically have brown eyes. However, that's typical of Sami people such as I am descended from. The rest of my ancestors came to America mainly between the early 1700's-mid 1800's. Before that we were from all over Europe. However, my very dark hair and very pale skin come from the Sami side. The other relatives don't have as dark hair and pale skin as that side does.

My husband is Filipino, but he looks more Islander than most Filipinos. He has been mistaken for Native American by a cop in Oklahoma.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
The problem with the poster manolon ..... is that he being a european thinks that all of North America is monolithic in our use of terms and slang

I have laugh as he doesn't even know what we call ''mix race'' here in New Mexico as he thinks that we all say Meztizo over here
----

6 Foot

I couldn't care less about American or Spanish slang. I couldn't care less about false PC definitions created by twisted politicians in search of votes.

But I care for definitions appearing in the Free Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Mulatto - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1282816542

If I wanted slang, I would have searched in urbandictionary.com.

In the Urban Dictionary, you'll find definitions such as:

mulatto 674 up, 227 down
buy mulatto mugs, tshirts and magnets
Nick for a person of mixed heritage..namely of black and white...can be construed as a racist term but its not nearly as racist as the insecure ****heads who try to force people of mixed heritage to identify as one or the other...as if our society is really that "black and white", so to speak.

Last edited by Manolón; 08-26-2010 at 04:07 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

6 Foot

I couldn't care less about American or Spanish slang. I couldn't care less about false PC definitions created by twisted politicians in search of votes.

But I care for definitions appearing in the Free Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Mulatto - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Mestizo - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

If I wanted slang, I would have searched in urbandictionary.com.

In the Urban Dictionary, you'll find definitions such as:

mulatto 674 up, 227 down
buy mulatto mugs, tshirts and magnets
Nick for a person of mixed heritage..namely of black and white...can be construed as a racist term but its not nearly as racist as the insecure ****heads who try to force people of mixed heritage to identify as one or the other...as if our society is really that "black and white", so to speak.
Yes i know that you view us thru the encyclopedia and dictionary in many aspects and thats o.k. as i admit i do the same for europeans myself since i'm not a citizen there however you specifically stated in post #155 here in this thread that ''Metis is Meztizo in French and was used/still used in Louisiana and (((all around))) the US and so i'm pointing out that it's not used (((all around))) the U.S. as we have different slang terms in the different regions of this country including Mexico just like you do in Spain etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy