Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,454 times

Advertisements

Help me with this one. My husband went to the Veterans administration and got the records of his grandfather George. We learn that George had re-enlisted in the Army, in 1897, a few months before George Jr was born to a girl in the neighborhood. George is single. No one in the family had ever known that he was not married when George Jr was born. George returns from the army 4 years later and marries the baby's Mother within the month. They had 7 more kids, 7 boys and one daughter. My husband is the son of the 7th son. So why did George run away, and rejoin the army, when she was 5 months pregnant? Was he concerned that the baby wasn't his? If so, why did he marry her as soon as he got back? Any other ideas on this scenario?

As a side note, 20 years ago one of George Jr's daughter decided to begin a genealogy search. Very quickly it was dropped. We suspect she found out the same thing that we did, that her grandparents did not marry until her father was 4 years old and she didn't want to tell anyone else in the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:31 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Do you have DNA to test?
No, my mother is long gone and so are her sibs, anyone else would be suspect.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:14 PM

356 posts, read 834,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Help me with this one. My husband went to the Veterans administration and got the records of his grandfather George. We learn that George had re-enlisted in the Army, in 1897, a few months before George Jr was born to a girl in the neighborhood. George is single. No one in the family had ever known that he was not married when George Jr was born. George returns from the army 4 years later and marries the baby's Mother within the month. They had 7 more kids, 7 boys and one daughter. My husband is the son of the 7th son. So why did George run away, and rejoin the army, when she was 5 months pregnant? Was he concerned that the baby wasn't his? If so, why did he marry her as soon as he got back? Any other ideas on this scenario?

As a side note, 20 years ago one of George Jr's daughter decided to begin a genealogy search. Very quickly it was dropped. We suspect she found out the same thing that we did, that her grandparents did not marry until her father was 4 years old and she didn't want to tell anyone else in the family.
I would suggest, perhaps he thought this was the best way to earn money for his growing family. It sounds to me as though he always intended to marry her and support her and the child, so I don't believe he was running away b/c he thought it was someone elses.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times

Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
Found another illegitimate child on my tree today.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,486,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
I would suggest, perhaps he thought this was the best way to earn money for his growing family. It sounds to me as though he always intended to marry her and support her and the child, so I don't believe he was running away b/c he thought it was someone elses.
I was going to say the same thing. I also believe that he felt it was the quickest way to insure he had money to support his family. Sounds to me like he was a man with integrity

Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,486,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Found another illegitimate child on my tree today.
I have lots of illegitimate children through my maternal great-great grandmother and maternal great-grandmother. Great-great grandma ran a "house of ill repute" in Bridgeton, NJ, and her daughter, my great-grandmother, had children from her first marriage (legitimate), children by my great-grandfather (all illegitimate, common-law marriage) and children from yet another man.

Here's the funny thing...growing up I was always led to believe by my grandmother that she and her sisters were the legitimate ones. There is even a marriage on record for my great-grandparents. I was told that the children from the FIRST relationship were illegitimate. However, I found out a few months ago that the first relationship was the actual legitimate marriage, and there had never been a divorce. When great-grandma married my great-grandfather it was actually a bigamist marriage. She even lied on the marriage certificate stating that this was her first marriage. Her real husband was still living and the two daughters from that marriage lived with him. The son lived with my great-grandma and great-grandpa and was listed as their son. The illegitimate children from the third relationship were through an affair my great-grandma was having with the husband of her adopted sister. The story of the adopted sister is another long convoluted story which I will save for later, LOL! Needless to say, this particular branch of my family were mentioned quite frequently in the local newspapers of their day, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy