Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times

Advertisements

I'll admit 100% to being a snob regarding what you term as "drive-by" (a good term, by the way) genealogists. I take what I do seriously, and try to be as thorough and as accurate as I can. I'll admit to looking down on others who don't do that. I don't like it because we all get tarnished by that old lowest common denominator thing. However, I do understand the difference between new genealogists who don't know any better (but are willing to learn) and the others who know they do bad genealogy and couldn't care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
As far as that, I don't have Ancestry or anything. Can't really afford it. Genealogy is more of a hobby and occasionally I have taken others (mostly relatives) word for it, if there is no other proof (which sometimes there isn't). I try to be as accurate as possible, but my tree is not online. It's just for me and my family. So I don't lose sleep if I have an inaccuracy. If I make a mistake I go back and fix it later.

Genealogy is a hobby for me. I have a lot of other stuff to do so I don't take it that seriously. I just think it's interesting to read all of this stuff.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
As far as that, I don't have Ancestry or anything. Can't really afford it. Genealogy is more of a hobby and occasionally I have taken others (mostly relatives) word for it, if there is no other proof (which sometimes there isn't). I try to be as accurate as possible, but my tree is not online. It's just for me and my family. So I don't lose sleep if I have an inaccuracy. If I make a mistake I go back and fix it later.

Genealogy is a hobby for me. I have a lot of other stuff to do so I don't take it that seriously. I just think it's interesting to read all of this stuff.
Sadly, many of us are in the same boat when it comes to affording the cost of Ancestry. I recommend using the two-weeks free option as often as you can

Now, on to the serious stuff...I think we all need to come up with a suitable punishment for your methods of research. Anyone have an extra set of stocks laying around gathering dust?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Sadly, many of us are in the same boat when it comes to affording the cost of Ancestry. I recommend using the two-weeks free option as often as you can

Now, on to the serious stuff...I think we all need to come up with a suitable punishment for your methods of research. Anyone have an extra set of stocks laying around gathering dust?
I had to give up my Ancestry membership, as well. The loss of my NEHGS membership killed me more, though. I'll jump back in there again as soon as I can afford it. I found that to be much more helpful than Ancestry.

Cyanna, that was a very good chuckle. Let me check my cellar. I can no longer use them on my 19 yr old and my 17 yr old is probably too big for them now.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
I had to give up my Ancestry membership, as well. The loss of my NEHGS membership killed me more, though. I'll jump back in there again as soon as I can afford it. I found that to be much more helpful than Ancestry.

Cyanna, that was a very good chuckle. Let me check my cellar. I can no longer use them on my 19 yr old and my 17 yr old is probably too big for them now.
My husband is a superb woodworker. He can always alter them to fit your son Really, hubby is very handy. One year for Christmas he presented me with a gift, which made me wary when he and my son both ran out of the room before I finished unwrapping it. It was a BRANK! AKA scold's bridle, which hubby had lovingly and sneakily welded together in his workshed. No wonder his friends would come in smirking and giggling after seeing his "project" while in progress, LOL!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:06 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Why is it always Charlemagne, by the way? it always seems to be anyway.
Charlemagne is one of the oldest ancestors that is directly traceable for Europeans. Records going back that far are very rare. Because he and his family were so powerful, their records have survived.

Charlemagne had at least 20 legitimate or illegitimate children. Over 1200 years the family tree has had a long time to branch out. There are millions of people who are related Charlemagne.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Fortunately my library is still a quiet oasis. The librarians do not tolerate noise and are not shy about approaching parents with noisy children or teenagers acting up. Yep, I'm an elitist library snob. I like the atmosphere to be maintained in a proper manner, LOL!
That's why I love my area libraries. They all have children's rooms so I don't have to worry about the noisy whoops of joy at the new books they picked up. LOL

Old 01-12-2011, 05:30 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
My husband is a superb woodworker. He can always alter them to fit your son Really, hubby is very handy. One year for Christmas he presented me with a gift, which made me wary when he and my son both ran out of the room before I finished unwrapping it. It was a BRANK! AKA scold's bridle, which hubby had lovingly and sneakily welded together in his workshed. No wonder his friends would come in smirking and giggling after seeing his "project" while in progress, LOL!
LOLOLOL! That is an *awesome* gift! Kudos to hubby and to you for having a good sense of humor!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOLOLOL! That is an *awesome* gift! Kudos to hubby and to you for having a good sense of humor!
I have to have a sense of humor. My husband is a Brit, LOL! It gets even funnier...when we decided to move back to the USA we listed the brank for auction on Ebay UK because we were worried about what customs would think if they found it in our shipped goods. We even included in the description that it would be of interest to those who liked medieval history or who were involved in historical re-enactments. Ebay removed it because they thought it was a sex toy! LOL! Now that we are back in California it has crossed our minds that it might actually sell very well to certain people in Hollywood Hmmmmm...I could make lots of money for genealogy research

Old 01-14-2011, 02:15 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,700 times
Cyanna, I had to look that one up. What a scream.........pun intended!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy