Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,041 times

Advertisements

Sean Connery is Scottish and Pierce Brosnan is Irish, I do not keep them very white. There is different skin colors in every country.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:31 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
Sean Connery is Scottish and Pierce Brosnan is Irish, I do not keep them very white. There is different skin colors in every country.
Yes but were talking about averages here. Some Scots like Connery have the dark genes.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard that females have lighter skin than males...this might apply to certain areas, but overall I've found females basically the same colour as males. The difference generally isn't that big.

In Vietnam I noticed the men were often considerably darker than the women, but I wasn't naive enough to believe it was natural.
Actually in darker skinned ethnic groups the different in skin pigmentation between male and females is more pronounced. Especially in people of Mediterranean, near east, or Asian origin.

Women on average are lighter than men. However in northern Europeans you probably can't tell much of a difference.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,186 times
Northern Europe has the lightest people on earth, because that's where light hair and light eyes are most common.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Actually in darker skinned ethnic groups the different in skin pigmentation between male and females is more pronounced. Especially in people of Mediterranean, near east, or Asian origin.

Women on average are lighter than men. However in northern Europeans you probably can't tell much of a difference.
Not true at all. Thai women are as dark as the men, those who are natural. Among the Sudanese both males and females are almost black as tar. Females are usually portrayed as lighter.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 PM

229 posts, read 206,756 times
Africa, have you ever seen an Albino African, kind of scary.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
Africa, have you ever seen an Albino African, kind of scary.
I actually have seen an Albino African. No scarier than a normal albino, which is not really scary but certainly eye turning...

Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not true at all. Thai women are as dark as the men, those who are natural. Among the Sudanese both males and females are almost black as tar. Females are usually portrayed as lighter.
Actually you are wrong. From a biological perspective women have lighter skin than men because they require more Vitamin D during pregnancy. There are many well known scientific articles on this topic, and is well known among many evolutionary biologist and population geneticist.

Of course in some ethnic groups it doesn't always play out that way. But in general women are lighter than men on average across all ethnic groups. Particularly in those of near eastern and Asian ancestry.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Actually you are wrong. From a biological perspective women have lighter skin than men because they require more Vitamin D during pregnancy. There are many well known scientific articles on this topic, and is well known among many evolutionary biologist and population geneticist.

Of course in some ethnic groups it doesn't always play out that way. But in general women are lighter than men on average across all ethnic groups. Particularly in those of near eastern and Asian ancestry.
As I said, because of the cultural prestige attached to pale skin for females in these regions, the women often take great pains to ensure their skin is as untouched by the sun as possible by avoiding sunlight or using artificial lightening. I've been to rural China and both women and men are a light Brown colour. Just how some North American women appear darker than their brothers because of tanning.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 AM

Women May become pale during pregnancy, but at other times I do not believe there's a difference. If there is it is more minor than it appears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy