Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:21 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times

Advertisements

I'm just starting to get into genealogy. It's really fun! - Like a detective or mystery search, except more personal.
I recently found a line that went back to the 1400s! But this next search is more challenging.

Tips on finding ancestors?
I can't get past my Grandpa's Grandma. I found where her grave is (NY) & it has her married last name, not maiden.
Although I know her surname (Parish), I'm wondering about her parents & so on.

Other questions...
How do you think this scripture relates to genealogy:
"And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, & the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come & smite the earth with a curse." -Malachi 4:6 (last scripture in Old Testament)
I wonder if it has something to do with healing implied in...

Possibly... not only do we inherit physical traits, but also memories.
"Ghost in Your Genes":
BBC - Science & Nature - Horizon
What do you think?

Last edited by SuperSoul; 09-27-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I'm just starting to get into genealogy. It's really fun! - Like a detective or mystery search, except more personal.
I recently found a line that went back to the 1400s!
Where/how did you find it? If you found it on someone else's tree, please be aware that they can be incorrect. There are people out there who do not care about accuracy and will add names to their tree willy-nilly, with little to no research. To genuinely research back that far would take a LOT of work and as someone who just started getting into genealogy, I doubt you have the skills to find all the records necessary to know for sure that the info and names are all correct. The exception would be if you have any royalty/nobility in your tree, because those lines are already be well documented professionally. If that's the case, I apologize for doubting you but I had to point out the realities of most cases in genealogy. Most serious genealogists don't accept a piece of information as fact until they have THREE different reliable sources/records confirming it to be true. Online trees can help as a starting point/clue but they are not considered a reliable source.

One branch of my tree I found a match with someone else's online and they had names going back to the 1300s but when you actually LOOK at the details, they have individuals who are born before their parents and ridiculous stuff like that.

Quote:
Tips on finding ancestors?
I can't get past my Grandpa's Grandma. I found where her grave is (NY) & it has her married last name, not maiden.
You just need to find as many records as possible - a birth record should have her parent's names, a death record may or may not have her parent's names. If you can find a census record of when she was still living with her parents, that will also give you their names but keep in mind, censuses records are not always accurate... names are often misspelled, ages are approximate, etc. But they do help, you just need to keep track of where you got what info so you know how reliable it is and whether it may be subject to change.

www.familysearch.org is the biggest free online database of records. Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History Records at Ancestry.com is also a valuable source, though not cheap.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
I was told that in every family, there is one person who keeps track of the family roots and ancestors. In my family it was my Grandmother. Hidden in the back of the family Bible was a list of all names, birth and death dates, etc. from late 1700's to World War One time frames.
Maybe this person is you in your family or someone else close to you has information.

Have you tried to locate your Grandmother's obituary? That would tell the names of survivors, maybe their location, maybe the name of the Funeral Home. The Funeral Home would have records of who paid for the funeral.
Someone named on the obituary column may very well be alive and well, and eager to share information with you about your Grandmother's parents.

I used my Great Grandfather's full name to locate our family tree. The "state" was critical in the search.

If you wish to share your Grandmother's full name, maybe some forum members can do a search.
Mrs. (?) (?) Parish at the time of death (?) and long time residence was where in New York?

Good luck in your search. You'll run into many stop signs. You have to go around those.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I doubt you have the skills to find all the records necessary to know for sure that the info and names are all correct.
You like to look at the positive side of things, don't you?

Thanks for the websites, although I already use them.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I was told that in every family, there is one person who keeps track of the family roots and ancestors. In my family it was my Grandmother. Hidden in the back of the family Bible was a list of all names, birth and death dates, etc. from late 1700's to World War One time frames.
Maybe this person is you in your family or someone else close to you has information.

Have you tried to locate your Grandmother's obituary? That would tell the names of survivors, maybe their location, maybe the name of the Funeral Home. The Funeral Home would have records of who paid for the funeral.
Someone named on the obituary column may very well be alive and well, and eager to share information with you about your Grandmother's parents.

I used my Great Grandfather's full name to locate our family tree. The "state" was critical in the search.

If you wish to share your Grandmother's full name, maybe some forum members can do a search.
Mrs. (?) (?) Parish at the time of death (?) and long time residence was where in New York?

Good luck in your search. You'll run into many stop signs. You have to go around those.
Thank you, Howard. I appreciate your positivity.
That's a good idea to check with the funeral or cemetery & also to search for her orbituary.
What do you mean the "state" was criticle in the search?
Her name is Harriet Parish, born December (not sure date), 1829 in New York (not sure city). Died February 8, 1905 in Trumansburg, NY.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
That's a good idea to check with the funeral or cemetery & also to search for her orbituary.
Her name is Harriet Parish, born December (not sure date), 1829 in New York (not sure city). Died February 8, 1905 in Trumansburg, NY.
The name of the state was critical in my search. If I had not known to look in Maryland, I would not have located a website created by someone in Maryland. Their ancestors and mine, crossed paths somewhere along the line. It led me to a huge tree of over 20 unknown ancestors.

As you may know, if you have a death date and nothing else, you have a very imporant piece of information.
When I discovered a list of names in the family Bible, I contacted the library in Baltimore. For 50 cents each they did an obituary search for the 20+ names for whom we had no obituary. They had to have the complete death date. A must.
We got about 8 new obits that way. Each listed names.
And back then, early 1900, it was not unusual for the funeral to be at the residence. Rather, the obit just said the family would receive friends at the residence after it told the spouse, and other names. It did not say anything about the burial. We found out actual addresses that way. My Father would travel up there and see the house and take pictures.

The Trumansburg, N.Y. Library should be able to search Harriet's death date and get you the obit. Some people, I'm told, do not have an obituary. Maybe Mrs. Parish did.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 PM

I found a Harriet Parish in N.Y. born 1840. Wrong one.
This Harriet Parish turned up under the family tree of McDougall.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
You like to look at the positive side of things, don't you?
Like I said, "I had to point out the realities of most cases in genealogy". I was just trying to help so you don't get led astray - if you're not interested, I apologize and next time I won't bother.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 AM

I find Parish to be a common name, and many spell it with two "R"

Hopefully you find what you are looking for. In our searches we found names spelled wrong in some records. The farthest back we could go was the late 1700's. That is when ours came over from England. We had zero results trying to trace pre-1800.

Your Great Grandmother was born in 1829. Her parents may be a difficult search. They would have been born mid 1700's and so many migrated here from Europe in that time period.

I wish you good luck in your search. Another place you could try would be Craigslist. I posted a wanted info ad on there. Someone in Fla. who had access to real estate records, matched a ladies name and a man with a different last name. They turned up connected to the same address. So, bingo, we knew she remarried and then had her new name, address, and phone number. All because of a low chance ad on CL and the ad was seen by someone who had access to the records.

Trumansburg is a small town and not near any big city. Your search through the Trumansburg Library may help you. Harriet's obituary may have very well been in their newspaper. If she had survivors who were not married, you'd then have her maiden name.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Here is an example of the Parrish vs. Parish.

Peter Parrish, son of Thomas Parish.

Children of Joseph W. Smith and Rosanna Covert:
4. Catherine Elizabeth born 18 Feb 1825; died 9 Aug 1846; married 31 Dec. 1840 Peter Parrish born NJ; son of Thomas Parish and Elizabeth (unknown).
---------------------------------------------------------------
You may have documents that your Great Grandmother's married name was spelled Parish. Continued good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy