Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I believe howard is looking for free sources, not those that require paying a fee or hiring someone to find it for him.

Do you have access to databases that might help us but that do not require payment?
Well, I got a message in the last few weeks, from someone who said they knew someone I was looking for. (??)
They wanted $100 to start a search, and $200 to find "certain" information.
It was a different search than the one in this thread, but such persons do look for opportunities to make money off searching.

I'm wondering about the "researcher" who posted a couple comments above. As well as their other posts. They may be paid researchers, not sure.
---------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the search for Mr. Andrews, I have located his brother and possibly his sister, and sent this information to their friend. So far I have not heard anything back.

I'm not experienced with the pay sites.
Some want a small fee, on your credit card, and then they bill you each month, if you "fail to cancel" by their method of cancelling, if you can get through to them.
So, no I do not know the, ins, and outs, of pay sites.

I have what I believe to be Mr. Andrew's brother's city and state, but no address. I know their parent's name but no address. I've searched all the free sites that I know about.
I'm waiting to hear from the other party, and proceed from there.
Thanks.

Last edited by howard555; 11-20-2011 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
If you have contact information for this person's relatives that should be better than any internet stuff you have to pay for, as long as the family is willing to talk.

You can probably get an address and/or phone number for Mr. Andrews' family if you know their names. There are phone directories on the internet.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
How do you know there WAS an obit? In my search for my grand uncle who died in WW1 due to disease, I looked and looked. A few local men died in the same place at around the same time -- those obits I found -- but nothing on my uncle. With all the work I put in, I can say with relative certainty there was no obituary.

Why? I have no idea.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
If you have contact information for this person's relatives that should be better than any internet stuff you have to pay for, as long as the family is willing to talk.

You can probably get an address and/or phone number for Mr. Andrews' family if you know their names. There are phone directories on the internet.
The phone directories do not have phone numbers, for the names.
They must only have cell phones or unlisted numbers.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Try Facebook. If they are on Facebook you can message them. I've done that with relatives who were also searching my family tree.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Newer events are harder to trace in some ways. Vital records are not public access for a long time (differs state-to-state.)

So, you said it's the 1980's, what city / state? If we knew that we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Do you know what cemetery the person may be in? If so, you can call the cem office & ask if someone with that name is there.
Going to a cemetery can give you information you might never know, especially with a family gravesite. Just like that Ancestry commerical, by looking at tombstones I found out that my great-grandma had 5 children, who all died as babies, and only my grandma survived.

We found my husband's great-grandfather (immigrant) CIVIL WAR Veterans gravesite. From that I got his military records, and found the town in Germany where he was from.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:09 PM

356 posts, read 834,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

With what search tool?

I tried Google and the official Social Security Death Index.

Birth year: 1985 or 1986
Death date: unknown, and not sure if they are deceased, but it is likely.
Place of birth: in or near McDonald, or Cecil, Pa.
Name: Dane Andrews (And Dane could be a nickname for Dana or Dean, and I do find males named Dana, so the name Dana is not limited to females)

I don't mind paying for online searches. But, when I have to give my credit card number to a 3rd party website and not the Library or Newspaper, that is when I decline to pay that way. They'll automatically charge my card for another month, if I do not cancel by a certain date, and If I can even reach them to cancel.
If they're not on the SSDI registry, I'd be very tempted to say that the person in question is very much alive. If you don't mind me asking, what makes you think they're deceased?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
If they're not on the SSDI registry, I'd be very tempted to say that the person in question is very much alive. If you don't mind me asking, what makes you think they're deceased?
Someone born in 1985 who died in childhood might not have a social security number, or the death might not have been reported to SSA.

Social Security number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 AM

356 posts, read 834,070 times
^Hmm, I didn't realize that was such a recent change. I was born in 1986, and knew mine was issued at birth. Well, nevermind then, if they were born in 1985, they could have died without a SS#. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
^Hmm, I didn't realize that was such a recent change. I was born in 1986, and knew mine was issued at birth. Well, nevermind then, if they were born in 1985, they could have died without a SS#. Thanks for the clarification!

You're welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy