Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is usually against the TOS on these sites especially if it's pay for site and actually illegal. That aside I don't know what acestry.com's internal policies are and they probably look the other way if there is unusual activity that would indicate the account is being shared however if there is lot of activity you might find yourself being barred from the site and account.
From their site:

'Easily share your tree with your family, and even work on it together. Your family and friends can view the online version of your tree without any software or a subscription. They just login with their name and email and they can always see the latest version of your tree, and can even work on adding to it if you’d like them to.'

Also to upgrade to the 2012 it is only $28 right now. It is everything the OP wanted. Privacy (not military grade), dual access with free upgrading, sharing, and the abilty to sync their home tree with the online version. For the level that the OP is at this is the best deal - heck for any level it is great. Paying only comes in if you use their search engines. If they want to research elsewhere or not online then fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
There is no supposed about it. If you mark your tree as private, it's private. No one can access it, and only a name, year and state of birth are listed in the index. And, you can delete it any time you wish.

And as for being a "paid" site - parts of it are for members only, and parts of it are free to everyone.

Personally, I'd be more wary of a "free" site. There is no free lunch, so I'd be wondering what they'd be getting out of supposedly making things so easy for me. At least with Ancestry, you know they want you to subscribe, so they'll try to lure you in. All you have to do is say no. But they're much more likely not to want to damage the relationship with the paid subscribers by reneging on a promise of privacy.
But it is indexed, isn't it?

Lots of people do free genealogy stuff, so that would not surprise me so much. Most of us are hobbyists, after all.

I would guess that there are probably going to be ads on "free" sites.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You can sign up to ancestry.com and use their online trees for free. You only have to pay to have access to most of their records databases. You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about ancestry.com.
That's why I asked if you could do that.

Quote:
Not if they're all working on the same online tree, using the online tree as the master tree and then downloading the gedcom from it to use in their own individual software.
If you can do all that without subscribing to ancestry.com, I guess it would work. You still would have to have a way to keep track of who is doing what to which files. Otherwise, you never would be able to keep up with the changes. Can you do that with just an ordinary ancestry.com tree?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
From their site:

'Easily share your tree with your family, and even work on it together. Your family and friends can view the online version of your tree without any software or a subscription. They just login with their name and email and they can always see the latest version of your tree, and can even work on adding to it if you’d like them to.'

Also to upgrade to the 2012 it is only $28 right now. It is everything the OP wanted. Privacy (not military grade), dual access with free upgrading, sharing, and the abilty to sync their home tree with the online version. For the level that the OP is at this is the best deal - heck for any level it is great. Paying only comes in if you use their search engines. If they want to research elsewhere or not online then fine.
Does it say how everyone knows what edits are made, who made them, and when?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you can do all that without subscribing to ancestry.com, I guess it would work. You still would have to have a way to keep track of who is doing what to which files. Otherwise, you never would be able to keep up with the changes. Can you do that with just an ordinary ancestry.com tree?
You can download a GEDCOM from your Ancestry Tree. So if you're using a genealogy program on your own computer, you could update it with the current version online.

I think your best bet would be just to get into a system of alerting each other when changes are made. There will be indication of the last time the tree was edited, but you've no way of knowing what the changes were, unless it's something like a photo or story attached to a person.

But what you could do, is leave comments on each person's record. Maybe just get into a practice of leaving a note there for each other when you make a change. And once you apply the change to your database, just delete the other person's comment. That way you'll know you got that change. Ancestry will notify anyone a member of the tree (unless you indicate that you don't want them to) by email every time someone leaves a comment. And when you go to the summary page of your tree, you can see links to the recent comments left.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's why I asked if you could do that.
There was definitely no question in that post.

Quote:
If you can do all that without subscribing to ancestry.com, I guess it would work.
If by subscribing you mean paying then yes, you can do all of that without paying. You would still have to sign up for a free account but that only really requires giving them a valid email address.

Quote:
You still would have to have a way to keep track of who is doing what to which files.
Not if the only changes made are made to the same online tree - that's what "master tree" means. Alternatively, there IS a merge feature in the FTM software so person A could make changes to tree A while person B makes changes to tree B and then you could merge tree A and B together and combine any changes made to both. You can't merge a tree into the online tree but you can download the online tree and merge it into your FTM software.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
From their site:

The suggestion was to give them the username and password for the account.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The suggestion was to give them the username and password for the account.
Yes, they can do that too - I have given it to my mom and she can access the online tree with it. I have told her not to mess with it though unless she talks to me. I gave them a number of suggestions - all which they can do and will give them what they want.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 962 times
I've used several and have been very happy with MYPCBackup. I think once you try them, you'll agree that nobody else can touch them in terms of quality, customer service and security.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Errrr .... I have someone else do my income tax prep - I just don't have the willpower to plow through the whole thing. I guess I feel the same way about trying to figure out the online options for genealogy.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'm still lost. [I blame myself, you've all done your best I'm sure to assist.]

I just want something with a simple way to post online, that I can shared with one family member, that is not open to the public. We both currently use FTM, but do not subscribe to any online genealogy sites. One of us is comfortable with the internet, and one is semi-comfortable, but we are both UNtechie.

Did I say grrrrr yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy