Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I found my grandmother, sans grandfather, and mom and my aunt. She is listed with an m for married which is crossed out with a D for divorced, and isn't working yet so I assumen it was recent. I also found my great uncle while looking for them.

My grandfather moved to some other local in Los Angeles. I'm wondering if I should just spend hours looking or wait. I want to document his second marriage though.

I've been thinking that if I could find the phone book for 1941 I could find an area. Anyone know how to access phone directories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf440 View Post
If you're looking for Los Angeles directories, the LAPL has a few available online at their site: ResCarta-Web - Browse Titles

They don't have 1941, but they do have '39 and '42.
Looks like mf440 has given you a good start.

Keep in mind that libraries can have paper copies of phone directories, too, that might not be online yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM

672 posts, read 2,112,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
... either digitized or on microfilm.

1940 Census

I was unable to find out how much it cost to digitize the 1940 census, but apparently the process started in 2009. I even looked at the budget, but it is not a separate item. NARA is in the process of digitizing enormous numbers of records of all kinds. It will be interesting to see what becomes available for genealogists.

Some FAQs from NARA:

Frequently Asked Questions - 1940 Census
I can't remember where I heard or saw it on the new but I remember that it costs $200,000 to contract this digitization out to a private company.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
I can't remember where I heard or saw it on the new but I remember that it costs $200,000 to contract this digitization out to a private company.
You would pay $200,000 to buy the entire digital version of the census now that it has been released. The expense to actually do the scanning and digital conversion is not mentioned separately in the NARA budget. It's mixed in with all the other files they are digitizing, and they are digitizing like crazy.

The company that set up the NARA website (Inflection, the parent company of Archives.com) actually was not paid to do it.

1940 U.S. Census Hosting Awarded to Archives.com - Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter

The info is actually stored on the Amazon.com cloud.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf440 View Post
If you're looking for Los Angeles directories, the LAPL has a few available online at their site: ResCarta-Web - Browse Titles

They don't have 1941, but they do have '39 and '42.
Thank you so much! I found him and his new wife in 1938 and 39 and an address. But also his dad and cousins I didn't know had come to California. Then went looking for Fernwood avenue.

But DANG! While watching the will there be a storm coverage last night I found the address. Except a woman and two kids, none of them my relatives lived there.

He's not in 1942, though the rest of the family is. Next stop finding a number for the LA library system and seeing if I can have someone look him up in 1940?

At least the listing showing he and his wife with the same address and last name is a real concrete reference.

I got the impression that he dumped Grandma, the family dumped him.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:28 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
I guess this would be the best thread for this story.
I was cleaning out my parents house, maybe 2013 or so when they moved into a board and care near my house. I found my mom's first husband's WWII records including his dog tag and his Stalag IV POW dog tag. My mom, born 1923, was in a TB sanitarium where she met him after the war and they got married, he died of TB, she lived; this is around 1948 or so. These documents/tags were meaningless to me so I went on a mission to return them to his family.
Using Census Records (I THINK 1940 but maybe 1930???), I found he lived on a street Long Island and I found out he had a brother. I used Google to find this brother and found his brother's 1999 obituary. The brother has two kids, now in their early 60s. I looked one of the kid's names up and he came up on Linked In. I called his company and asked to speak with him. I was given his cell phone as he was out on business. I called him and he called me back and I told him I had his uncle's dog tags. He didn't believe me. I told him I was the son of from his uncle's wife's second marriage. I took a photo of the tags and texted the photo to him. He got the text and started crying..."...uncle Tommy's dog tags...".

I stuck everything in a envelop and sent them to him.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:42 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I was cleaning out my parents house, maybe 2013 or so when they moved into a board and care near my house. I found my mom's first husband's WWII records including his dog tag and his Stalag IV POW dog tag. My mom, born 1923, was in a TB sanitarium where she met him after the war and they got married, he died of TB, she lived; this is around 1948 or so. These documents/tags were meaningless to me so I went on a mission to return them to his family.
Using Census Records (I THINK 1940 but maybe 1930???), I found he lived on a street Long Island and I found out he had a brother. I used Google to find this brother and found his brother's 1999 obituary. The brother has two kids, now in their early 60s. I looked one of the kid's names up and he came up on Linked In. I called his company and asked to speak with him. I was given his cell phone as he was out on business. I called him and he called me back and I told him I had his uncle's dog tags. He didn't believe me. I told him I was the son of from his uncle's wife's second marriage. I took a photo of the tags and texted the photo to him. He got the text and started crying..."...uncle Tommy's dog tags...".

That was an aces thing to do. Thank you for being so thoughtful!

Old 08-07-2019, 08:06 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post

Who's cutting onions in here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy