Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I was contacted this week by a cousin about some findagrave memorials I manage. Now I'm learning about some long lost cousins.
The one who posted them hasn't logged in for a year, but I know someone in the family and might ask if they know them. I'm really curious about how they actually got to North Carolina and Virginia. If they ended up in Tennesse, they likely didn't come with money.

Thanks to the advise I got in another thread to make my deceased husband living so I can let it go public again. But I finally tracked down the divorce dates for my grandparents, within four years at least, and listed his second wife. Any easy tricks on how to attaching a record on Ancestry would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that if my ancestors were moving from Tennessee to Georgia when it was first opened, they weren't people with money.

Now that I know my grandmother had siblings who lived and died in Georgia, I'd love to know if there are long lost cousins there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 06:46 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
The 1940 census helped me quite a bit!

I have been interested in genealogy for a while, but have only done research on occasion here and there, nothing extensive. I am not able yet to go back more than a few short generations, but I hope to find out more in time. I found out I had more aunts and uncles than previously.

I never could find anything regarding my fathers side of the family until the 1940 census which was just released in 2012. While quite young, my father and his sister had been adopted by distant family members who did not like to talk about the past at all.

I researched my fathers side of the family and found my fraternal grandparents and I found out there were many more children than I had known about. Previously, I could never find my grandparents in searches with the prior information I had. What I was told as a kid was vague, about how many children they had and their ages. On the 1940 census form, there were 6 children listed in the household and all I had known is my father had 2 siblings had died a while back. My father was not yet born in 1940, so his info was not there. My dad and his older sister were adopted by distant relatives in the mid-1940s after their parents had died.

Now that I have my grandparents approximate birth and death dates, I could probably find out much more. I'm not sure what happened to the other aunts and uncles listed, but may do more research from what I found out. The unfortunate part is I really have no one to talk to about this side of the family from that time period. I would have to just do research on my own to find out more.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Not sure what "fraternal grandparents" are. this is the second thread where I've seen that phrase.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Not sure what "fraternal grandparents" are. this is the second thread where I've seen that phrase.
Paternal grandparents. I had selected an incorrect adjective.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Ah, thanks. Someone in another thread did the same, so I thought it was some new concept, like the grandparents of my half-brother or adopted brother.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The one who posted them hasn't logged in for a year, but I know someone in the family and might ask if they know them. I'm really curious about how they actually got to North Carolina and Virginia. If they ended up in Tennesse, they likely didn't come with money.

Thanks to the advise I got in another thread to make my deceased husband living so I can let it go public again. But I finally tracked down the divorce dates for my grandparents, within four years at least, and listed his second wife. Any easy tricks on how to attaching a record on Ancestry would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that if my ancestors were moving from Tennessee to Georgia when it was first opened, they weren't people with money.

Now that I know my grandmother had siblings who lived and died in Georgia, I'd love to know if there are long lost cousins there.
Have you used a DNA service? 23andMe has a DNA Relatives feature that identifies long lost cousins.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Have you used a DNA service? 23andMe has a DNA Relatives feature that identifies long lost cousins.
Saving up for it. I can only do the autosomal version, and not sure who to use. I do want to have a cousin match but I'm not sure who to use.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Ah, thanks. Someone in another thread did the same, so I thought it was some new concept, like the grandparents of my half-brother or adopted brother.
Not sure why but I used the wrong term. You are right mentioning: fraternal could sound like a half brother or adopted brother's grandparents.

Now after more research since a few days ago, I may not have found the correct family, but will keep checking. I might have the wrong city they had lived in. I know which county in which they most likely resided, but not the correct small town.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Saving up for it. I can only do the autosomal version, and not sure who to use. I do want to have a cousin match but I'm not sure who to use.
I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but 23andMe went down $99 and is still there. They have autosomal and mtDNA and Y (for males), all included. It's a really good deal. I didn't know who to go with either, but am glad I went with them. They seem to offer more features than the others.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
I got a surprise email yesterday. A long ago DNA relative contacted me with renewed interest. Pending...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy