Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 04:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

I went on Ancestry last night to see if anyone had information on one relative and found something completely different. From one of the public trees, a few documents had been copied. I looked at her tree and her two x great grandmother was a sister to my two ex great grandfather. But she had documentation a generation back. It seems our shared three x great grandfather had two wives. She had names, full ones, and dates and records of the marriages. Some of the children listed under the second wife, my gggggrandmother, and hers, are actually from his first wife.

Her family also lived in Pennuslvania, and moved on to Kentucky then to Illinious. I guess the family stayed together. Most interesting. I'm considering a thanks for the information.

If only anyone had a lead on the missing ggrandfather. Sigh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
Not so long ago when I had time to research with a paid subscription to Ancestry.com. On one side of my family, I even have some ancestors who fought in the American Revolution. I really thought none of my earlier family tree research could lead me back to the early to mid-1700s era.

I'm indeed excited I could possibly trace back to an earlier century in western Europe (17th or most likely 18th century maybe). Unfortunately, I have to put off my own family tree research for quite a while. I will keep reading from some of you pros here and elsewhere as time permits.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It's surprising how many people have had the same names, similar places, etc. Even slightly unusual names have often been shared by others.
It was a surprise find for me how common the name Thos was in the 19th century in the US. Thos is a shortened name of Thomas.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I discovered that I had two ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War, and one of them later became an Indian Scout and Spy. I also discovered that much of his wife's family was killed in an Indian attack in Kentucky.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
It was a surprise find for me how common the name Thos was in the 19th century in the US. Thos is a shortened name of Thomas.
It's my understanding that Thos is the written abbreviation for Thomas. A man named Thomas would not be addressed as Thos when speaking.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
It's my understanding that Thos is the written abbreviation for Thomas. A man named Thomas would not be addressed as Thos when speaking.
Lost Roses is right. As Wm, was really William, Jas. was James, and Jno. was John because Jon. was Jonathan.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Also Hy for Henry, Fredk for Frederick, and Chas for Charles.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
The others are correct, Thos is just a written abbreviation for the name Thomas, that doesn't mean Thos was the person's actual name or even a nickname. He would never be called "Thos" when speaking.

Here's a list of English name abbreviations:

Appendix:Abbreviations for English given names - Wiktionary

Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Your most recent discoveries

My most recent? That the earliest arrival in the USA of my Mother's father's family was 1635 in Plymouth Colony, MA and that that line of the family played important roles in the early days of MA (in Cambridge, as Chief Justice of the MA Supreme Court, etc.). It's a line which is so very well documented in written records. Oh, and that the name of the same family line was shortened upon arrival in the USA, for reasons I'm not yet certain of (an "e" was dropped from the end of the vamily name).

Old 11-19-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Written out as Thomas makes sense. I do remember someone in my long ago past being named Thos (pronounced Thahs) but probably was a nickname.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy