Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,990 times

Advertisements

Well, for years studies have been saying that the average AA has 20% European, but I came back with only 7/8%. I felt incredibly sad because I felt left out and not like a real African American. I kept wondering, why don't I have more European ancestry? Why didn't my family mix more? It caused me to have a severe identity crisis. Now, I am at peace with it, although at times I do mourn when I see more admixed African Americans out in public. I wish I was more racially mixed because it would make me more attractive and prettier, and I'd have an easier time fitting in with other AAs.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
I hope you are being facetious about your regrets. Be happy with the beautiful African American person you are. You are the result of resilience and strength and there is nothing inherently unattractive about Sub-Saharan African looks. You probably have the face of the ancestors that originally created the empire of Mali or the voice of many who have stared down the ancient European Moderator Cut and lived. Be proud to be that American.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Offensive term

Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
many who have stared down the '''ancient European''' and lived.
Curious as to who and/or what was the '''ancient European'''?

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Removed edited remark

Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 PM

The Europeans that saw fit to chain and enslave people like cattle , to export them as livestock to foreign lands while raping the host land for natural resources. Nothing mysterious about it/ Wouldn't you agree that such actions are evil by most humanist tenets?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingforever View Post
Well, for years studies have been saying that the average AA has 20% European, but I came back with only 7/8%. I felt incredibly sad because I felt left out and not like a real African American. I kept wondering, why don't I have more European ancestry? Why didn't my family mix more? It caused me to have a severe identity crisis. Now, I am at peace with it, although at times I do mourn when I see more admixed African Americans out in public. I wish I was more racially mixed because it would make me more attractive and prettier, and I'd have an easier time fitting in with other AAs.
Genes work in interesting ways. One of your parents could be as much as 50% European and 50% African. If that parent only passed on African genes to you then your European admixture will be much lower. Likewise, lets say you have children with someone who is also 92% African and 8% European those children have the possibility of being 16% European if both you and your partner by chance pass on all of your European DNA.

So your family may have mixed more than you know. And as for appearance, I think only a few genes play a part in that. I remember reading about people from Brazil that you would have thought came straight out of Africa but their DNA was like 40% European or something.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:50 PM

211 posts, read 519,135 times
You shouldn't be sad about this, anyone could fit into the American classification regardless of their backgrounds, things happen in the past and we have to move on. I know African Americans with less than 7% European blood, and I know some with over 40% European blood, we're all different and you have to recognize that and come to terms with everything.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:04 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
You shouldn't be sad about this, anyone could fit into the American classification regardless of their backgrounds, things happen in the past and we have to move on. I know African Americans with less than 7% European blood, and I know some with over 40% European blood, we're all different and you have to recognize that and come to terms with everything.
Notice that the OP is "Not a member?"

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Genes work in interesting ways. One of your parents could be as much as 50% European and 50% African. If that parent only passed on African genes to you then your European admixture will be much lower. Likewise, lets say you have children with someone who is also 92% African and 8% European those children have the possibility of being 16% European if both you and your partner by chance pass on all of your European DNA.

So your family may have mixed more than you know. And as for appearance, I think only a few genes play a part in that. I remember reading about people from Brazil that you would have thought came straight out of Africa but their DNA was like 40% European or something.
Sounds suspiciously like in a sooner, rather than later, generation, WaitingForever is liable to have 6 or 7 pounds of bouncing more European than not baby, but, maybe that's where the something comes in.

(I'm only joking.... in the vein of the original post by WaitingForever.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
You probably have the face of the ancestors that originally created the empire of Mali or the voice of many who have stared down the ancient European and lived. Be proud to be that American.
Quote:
The Europeans that saw fit to chain and enslave people like cattle , to export them as livestock to foreign lands while raping the host land for natural resources. Nothing mysterious about it/ Wouldn't you agree that such actions are evil by most humanist tenets?
Africans captured and then traded other Africans to external slave owners, including other Africans, Middle Easterners, and Europeans.

Indeed. While the slave trade continued to flourish among Africans and Middle Easterners, the "Europeans" consisting of Britain and France, were some of the first to outlaw and banish the African Slave trade during the end of the 18th century. Likewise in North America, Canada, the Republic of Vermont, as well as the northern states of the early United States banished it altogether.

Might want to do a little historical research.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Edited due to edited/changed quoted post

Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Africans captured and then traded other Africans to external slave owners, including other Africans, Middle Easterners, and Europeans.

Indeed. While the slave trade continued to flourish among Africans and Middle Easterners, the "Europeans" consisting of Britain and France, were some of the first to outlaw and banish the African Slave trade during the end of the 18th century. Likewise in North America, Canada, the Republic of Vermont, as well as the northern states of the early United States banished it altogether.

Might want to do a little historical research.
Historical research will also tell tell you of the Portuguese who continued the trade even after the other European nations legally abolished it. I know of African involvement. European nations brought the slave trade to a high art of commercial industry, including inventing the modern concept of Black/White racism to justify it. Dehumanizing injustice practiced by anyone qualifies them as perpetrators of evil.
...and so we go waaay off topic.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy