Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:00 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,513 times

Advertisements

An ad for ancestry.com just aired on CNN and they said it goes back 1,000 years (versus the 500 on 23andMe).

Just checked and looks like it also cost $99.00 Anyone use that one?

What surprised me was that, even though I'm having eyesight issues due to the MS, I did read quite a lot of the material on 23andMe and I really got it wrong; I really did think that the African percentages at the bottom were a reflection of the fact that all humanity originated in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 AM

675 posts, read 1,700,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nope. Genetic testing can now give information from all the chromosomes, not just X and Y. It is called autosomal DNA.
Thank you, I didn't know about that option, I stand corrected. (I still think that DNA testing is most useful when used in conjunction with paper records and comparison to DNA tests of known relatives, but obviously that's not always possible)

Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
i read an article that talked about native americian y dna, and that the study mention that most of the NA was part of the asian route of R1a, but, Since the white community also came trough north europe are also R1a. Now remember this was thousands of years ago. That the NA dna is just hard to pinpoint out of a common R1 dna group.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:44 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i read an article that talked about native americian y dna, and that the study mention that most of the NA was part of the asian route of R1a, but, Since the white community also came trough north europe are also R1a. Now remember this was thousands of years ago. That the NA dna is just hard to pinpoint out of a common R1 dna group.

Yes, but the data on 23andMe goes back only 500 years.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:56 AM

129 posts, read 250,306 times
Will the 23andme kit pinpoint my African heritage or do I have to get a test that specifies in that?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calispartan View Post
Will the 23andme kit pinpoint my African heritage or do I have to get a test that specifies in that?
They do ask a lot of questions if you care to go in and answer them all, but if I understand correctly, you don't have so specify anything. I think the test will pinpoint the correct heritage.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:37 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
and how is this different from what i just said.

(from the article)

Haplogroup R1 (Y-DNA) (specially R1b) is the second most predominant Y haplotype found among indigenous Amerindians after Q (Y-DNA).[38] The distribution of R1 is believed to be associated with the re-settlement of Eurasia following the last glacial maximum. One theory put forth is that it entered the Americas with the initial founding population.[39] A second theory is that it was introduced during European colonization.[38] R1 is very common throughout all of Eurasia except East Asia and Southeast Asia. R1 (M173) is found predominantly in North American groups like the Ojibwe (79%), Chipewyan (62%), Seminole (50%), Cherokee (47%), Dogrib (40%) and Papago (38%).[38]

Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
An ad for ancestry.com just aired on CNN and they said it goes back 1,000 years (versus the 500 on 23andMe).

Just checked and looks like it also cost $99.00 Anyone use that one?

What surprised me was that, even though I'm having eyesight issues due to the MS, I did read quite a lot of the material on 23andMe and I really got it wrong; I really did think that the African percentages at the bottom were a reflection of the fact that all humanity originated in Africa.
I had my test done on ancestry.com

I am 27% Benin/Togo, 18% Nigeria, 11% Mali, 10% African Southeastern Bantu, 10% Cameroon, 4% Senegel, and 1% from Ghana, about 1% Indian/Pakistani, 6% British, 3% Eastern European, 3% Spanish, 2% Western European, 2% Northern Russian, 1% Italian, 1% Scandinavian, and 1% Irish.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
You seem to be hung up on this 500 years thing. It's a marketing/pr tool by 23andme, doesn't mean anything really.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You seem to be hung up on this 500 years thing. It's a marketing/pr tool by 23andme, doesn't mean anything really.
It kind of does... It's definitely marketing in that they pinpoint a number. Autosomal DNA more accurately demonstrates your ancestry around 300 years or more recently, obviously that ancestry comes from a deeper ancestry etc. All your DNA goes back thousands of yours, but autosomal DNA statistically becomes currently of little to no use looking back beyond 300-500 years.

For example we all come from Africa, though you would not expect to see a strong amount of African DNA in many populations, including most Americans of European descent unless there is in fact an ancestor of African descent within at least 500 years.

It gets complicated of course and this is where people are still discovering new data, though we do have a decent amount of data now. For example if you have North African DNA that can be due to ancestors from Continental Europe or the Mediterranean areas where there is a large enough amount of North African DNA present in those populations, so the actual North African ancestry might date back to 500, or even 1000 years ago (but from enough sources where the DNA didn't statistically disappear).

Though we are still learning much more from all the data I've scene if your autosomal DNA doesn't come up with any significant amounts of Native American, East Asian, or Siberian DNA then it's probably unlikely you have Native American ancestry within at least the last 5 generations or so. Beyond that it becomes potentially more likely due to the random nature of autosomal DNA inheritance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy