Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I know that, but the average African American is overwhelmingly African. This is why most African Americans can be considered to be 'real' blacks, but I wouldn't consider certain African American groups, such as Louisiana Creoles, as 'real' blacks. They are too mixed to just be black and for this reason I see them as a mixed race people. Louisiana Creoles don't consider themselves black (in a racial way, but they also differentiate themselves culturally.)

I know there are many mixed race people that like identifying as black and I think if they choose that then it should be fine (at the end of the day, they are part black), but many mixed race people want to identify with something that acknowledges everything that they are, in a way they want to be true to themselves. If this type of person is conspicuously mixed and they want to identify as mixed, that should be fine too. Its not as if they are lying or that people get angry at them for stating a truth. Imagine that! LOL
There's no such thing as the "average" African American. Some people substantial European ancestry, and others have very little. Halle Berry calls herself African American and she is likely over 50% white (if her father had an European ancestry). There are other people who have had white or other non Black in their family history more recently. And there are others who are 90% or more of various African ethnic groups.

As for Louisiana Creole, Creole originally meant someone born in the colonies as opposed to someone who immigrated here from Europe. Originally Creole meant white. It extended to cover all people from a Latin colonial cultural background. As for whether or not they are Black or consider themselves Black, Beyonce is Creole and refers to herself as Black her (her mother's name is Tina Beyonce). Debbie Allen is Creole and refers to herself as Black as well. I've personally known Creoles who referred to themselves as Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
I've seen loads of results from African Americans from 23andMe, testing over 90% is an exception. Most on average test between 80-85% SSA, 20-25% European and East Asian/Native American tends to be under 1% to 2%.
I had no Native American in my test results. I'm 1% South Asian/Indian/Pakistani, 19% from various European groups and 80% from various African groups.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:47 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's no such thing as the "average" African American. Some people substantial European ancestry, and others have very little. Halle Berry calls herself African American and she is likely over 50% white (if her father had an European ancestry).
You are assuming that her mother is pure. Actually, Halle Berry could be over 50% black. Her mother looks like she may have some African ancestry in her bloodline, similar to President Obama's white mother who has African ancestry. Plus, Halle Berry looks more black than white.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,888 times
Quote:
I know that, but the average African American is overwhelmingly African. This is why most African Americans can be considered to be 'real' blacks, but I wouldn't consider certain African American groups, such as Louisiana Creoles, as 'real' blacks. They are too mixed to just be black and for this reason I see them as a mixed race people. .
There are people who have a mixed background that people consider white. Would you call them mixed or not "real" white?

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-23-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
There are people who have a mixed background that people consider white. Would you call them mixed or not "real" white?
If they are conspicuously mixed then they are not real whites.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's no such thing as the "average" African American.
There is such a thing as the average African American.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 AM

334 posts, read 454,593 times
Quote:
Actually, there are studies that show that a typical African American genetic make up is 70-80% African.

For that reason I wouldn't say Seethurya is a typical African American genetic make up, although s/he is a typical mulatto make up. The average African American is much more African and significantly less European than that.
That depends. The descendants of the traditional ethnic African Americans are in fact very mixed race over multiple generations. Most people born to two AA parents on average range anywhere from 60% African to 80% African. Keep in mind that more recent Afrodescent immigrants and descendants of more recent arrivals are not of traditional ethnic AA descent, nor are they AAs.

African American (AA) is an ETHNIC GROUP.

Seethruya is NOT atypical at all. Her mix is not rare among AAs. Henry Louis Gates Jr is over 56% European and he has a sizable amount of Native American ancestry.

Again we have to take into account that personal identity comes into play. If more people with phenotypes and/or genotypes like Seethruya were more frequently identifying as just "white", then the admixture patterns average for whites or self ID'd WHITES would change.

Also with 23AndMe DNA genetic testing on females, she doesn't get all of her full results but only her X chromosomes from both her parents X and/or female contributions and ancestors. So some genetic material is left out.

Individuals of significant mixed ancestry (especially MGM [multigenerational multiracially mixed race mixed ancestry aka MultiGens] are very common. Each offspring gets different genetic proportions.

Also white racial purity is a myth.

Most AAs have at least somewhere from between 40% European to at least 20% European genetic ancestral lineage. And then of course there is some Native American, Asian and other ancestral genetic/racial lineages as well.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
Louisiana creoles are a subgroup of aframs, they are very much mixed with european,.. but then again there are still some gullahs left whom are over 90% african on average. I wouldn't doubt it too much though.
Not all Louisiana Creoles have black African ancestry in them. Also, Louisiana Creoles technically are NOT AAs. They have different culture and history.

Louisiana Creoles can be of ANY race or mix of races. Louisiana Creoles are a Hispano-Franco-Latin cultural and ethnic group. There are WHITE Creoles, Black Creoles, Native American Creoles, and Asian Creoles, and mixed race Creoles of any combination. Creoles are Spanish speaking and French speaking as well as Creole speaking and traditionally are rooted in and descended from all the states and regions that comprised the vast Louisiana Territory.

Black in Latin America | Kontak

Old 03-24-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I know that, but the average African American is overwhelmingly African. This is why most African Americans can be considered to be 'real' blacks, but I wouldn't consider certain African American groups, such as Louisiana Creoles, as 'real' blacks. They are too mixed to just be black and for this reason I see them as a mixed race people. Louisiana Creoles don't consider themselves black (in a racial way, but they also differentiate themselves culturally.)

I know there are many mixed race people that like identifying as black and I think if they choose that then it should be fine (at the end of the day, they are part black), but many mixed race people want to identify with something that acknowledges everything that they are, in a way they want to be true to themselves. If this type of person is conspicuously mixed and they want to identify as mixed, that should be fine too. Its not as if they are lying or that people get angry at them for stating a truth. Imagine that! LOL
Be careful with that vague or general assumption. While a good many Creole people are mixed, not all are. There are many Creoles that are very dark and look black as night and actually are black. There are also Creoles that look white and are in fact white. There are also Creoles that are of Asian descent due to the Manila Alcapulco galleon trades that brought in many Filipino slaves and merchants dating back to the early colonial period and Spanish conquest and colonization dating back to the early 1500s. So keep that in mind.

Being Creole is more of a culture based identity (much like how one identifies as Puerto Rican, Cuban, Cape Verdean, Venezuelan etc)

Louisiana Creoles, Alabama Creoles, Texas Creoles, Misissippi Creoles, & Florida Creoles are all interrelated and are a Hispano-Franco-Latin culture and people.

Beyónçé Knowles is half Bahamian and half Louisiana Creoles (East Texas Creole more specifically). Phylicia Rashad who played Claire Huxtable on the Cosby Show and her real life sister Debbie Allen are of Louisiana Creole/Latina/Hispanic and Native American descent and they grew up in Mexico and spent time there. Lots of ties between Louisiana, Cuba, Mexico, Dominican Republic etc and in some cases Puerto Rico and Haiti.

Eva Longoria in some aspects has Louisiana Creole roots although she is more of a Tejan@ Creole with roots like Beyonce's stretching back to as far as the 1500s in the vast historic, colonial, traditional Southwest and Louisiana Territory and Southeast areas and as well as the Gulf. I think Eva Longoria and Beyonce even mutually share a distant related ancestor from way back. Beyonce and Eva Longoria are definitely very mixed and multiracial.

Last edited by CorderoAries; 03-24-2014 at 05:53 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
Louisiana creoles are a subgroup of aframs, they are very much mixed with european,.. but then again there are still some gullahs left whom are over 90% african on average. I wouldn't doubt it too much though.
Gullah Geechee peoples are their own unique group. They are NOT African Americans. Thats the problem, people keep on lumping various diverse groups of people together into one box which is a dangerous and hampering and hindering thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy