Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
Possible I guess. Just unlikely from the results I've seen from US blacks (typically west african, occasionally central african). East Africa had a slave trade, but it didn't service the US/Britain. Going from East Africa to the Atlantic African coast would have been a huge trek in those days.
It's a myth that all US Blacks were West African. I'm 10% Southeastern African Bantu (Mozambique). A number of Blacks in the Americas have at least partial ancestry from East Africa. Also, people moved around in Africa as well, so some of this could be from the pre colonial era. And yes, there were people who made huge treks for whatever reason. And Central African is common among US blacks as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:53 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's a myth that all US Blacks were West African. I'm 10% Southeastern African Bantu (Mozambique). A number of Blacks in the Americas have at least partial ancestry from East Africa. Also, people moved around in Africa as well, so some of this could be from the pre colonial era. And yes, there were people who made huge treks for whatever reason. And Central African is common among US blacks as well.
Your absolutely correct. Not all of US Blacks are of West African descent.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I find it amusing that of all the minuscule particulates in your dna profile you get stuck on the one that says LESS THAN ONE TENTH OF A PERCENT EAST AFRICAN.

Why are you fixating on something that isn't even so much as an hiccup.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 PM

14 posts, read 36,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
East Africa was British Colonial Empire..... Seems one UK ancestor had trip to the colonies?
Wasn't this pretty recent though? I think my UK ancestors had likely come to the US before Britain started colonizing Africa. Not sure though.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I find it amusing that of all the minuscule particulates in your dna profile you get stuck on the one that says LESS THAN ONE TENTH OF A PERCENT EAST AFRICAN.

Why are you fixating on something that isn't even so much as an hiccup.
Because it's the only interesting hit in my entirely boring profile? I would be just as interested if it came back East Asian or North African or whatever.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
Because it's the only interesting hit in my entirely boring profile? I would be just as interested if it came back East Asian or North African or whatever.
Nonsense. Every ethnic group and immigrant ancestor has a fascinating story to tell, if you can just be bothered researching it and discovering it.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 PM

this was my Ancestry DNA result (no African):

Europe 100%

Great Britain 70%
Europe West 18%
Trace Regions 12%
Ireland 4%
European Jewish 3%
Italy/Greece 2%
Scandinavia 1%
Iberian Peninsula 1%
Europe East 1%

Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Couldn't some slave have been born in East Africa and then been bought by someone in West Africa? In turn, this individual could have sold this slave to Europeans who were travelling to the Americas.
Ethiopians were never slaves but did arrive here as seamen. They setup a church in Harlem. Most likely though it was an Ethiopian ancestor via Italy. Some Medicis for example had an Ethiopian ancestor.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I share with quite a few African Americans and have encountered none with East African ancestry. Of course a few East Africans made it to the USA but they were very few.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I share with quite a few African Americans and have encountered none with East African ancestry. Of course a few East Africans made it to the USA but they were very few.
No, more than a few. Large numbers if you count places like Mozambique. The Portuguese traders carried many of them into slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy