Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:46 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Unfortunately, you can't know the exact percentage because we inherit ethnicity more randomly than that. We don't get exactly 25% from each grandparent.

This is an extreme example but it illustrates the point: Meet the biracial twins no one believes are sisters | New York Post
I'm more surprised by the darker twin. She's only 1/4 black Jamaican but looks 50%, exactly like the mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 05:25 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
My 23andMe profile:

Sub-Saharan African

0.1%
You should use this and let affirmative action work in your favor.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 AM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
There were "whites" living in East Africa in ancient times.
Not just Egyptian upper caste and Roman Empire, but
also Israelite.
Let's talk about that article. That article is not talking about "White" people living in Africa, West or East for that matter. This is about Black peoples of the Sub-Sahara accompanied by a chock-full of Biblical tracks.

Opening statement from the article;

"Let’s talk about the Israelite presence in East Africa. Many people are becoming more aware of the presence of Israelites in West African regions and their connection to the Trans-Atlantic slave trade (Deuteronomy 28:15-68), but what about East Africa?"

People want to make some sort of connection with this group found in the Torah about a people called the 'Israelites' or 'Hebrews.' One never wants to be a Moabite or Jebusite or any of the people God wanted to destroy, only the "Chosen."
Israelites are a sub-group of Canaanites. Early Israelites did not have no special religious views. They practiced good o'l fashioned Canaanite religion. Evidence only points to Israelites emerging from Canaanites. Not coming from a far off land of 2 million people.

Deut 28:15-68 is not talking about the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. Let's look at this verse from verse 68.

"And the Lord shall bring thee into Egypt again with ships, by the way whereof I spake unto thee, Thou shalt see it no more again: and there ye shall be sold unto your enemies for bondmen and bondwomen, and no man shall buy you."

The Biblical narrative is talking about Israelites who recently left Egypt. God is being literal with a literal Egypt. If Israel disobeyed God, He would bring them back into Egypt from where they just came but they would be so rejected and disowned from God that they only would not be not wanted as slaves but even if they sold themselves no one would buy them. That is how far removed they would be from God. He's not talking 3000+yrs in colonial Americas.

Presence of Israelites in West Africa? Let's pretend this were so. Israelites would have been a very small population among the Indigenous West Africans who were in the millions. Israelites were from Canaan and would have had to travel a very long way which there is no historical evidence for this even in their musings of millions of Israelites on the move from Canaan going deep into Africa. It's all speculative nonsense. Remember, they didn't do to well leaving Egypt going to the land of milk and honey. With God's assistance no less. They were getting lost in the desert for 40 years (Joshua 5:6). Leaving Canaan to wander into West Africa? From Canaan through to West Africa is a much larger territory to cover than Egypt to Israel. Did I mention they got lost? They would have had to travel first through the Saharan desert and I doubt there was manna being thrown from the heavenly gods. They would have been viewed as invaders from countries they were cutting through not to mention predators in the form of animals.

Let's say they made it to West Africa, unscathed by God's protection. I'm sure they intermingled with indigenous West Africans as they intermingled with the Canaanites. For all African descendants living today who are descendants of slaves and the slave trade throughout the Caribbean, North America and South America....can someone please show me their lineage (other than skin color) to this small 70 people who ventured into Egypt (Gen: 46:26-27) who later formed into the early Israelites during the settlement period? How does one pick out a person of purely West African stock versus Israelite in 2016 AD? You can't! You can only fantasize and make things up. You can only read a book, become paranoid and say, "Look, they are talking about me!"

However, the Exodus is claimed to have been 1450/1446 BC. God waits and his anger simmers and his cup overflows at about 1500 AD to enforce His holy wrath of punishment? Meanwhile back at the ranch.....Slaves were being extracted from the West Coast (Angola) in the 1500's by the Spanish. North America, British colonies (smaller part of the slave trade) were more north (Ghana etc). 400+ years was not that long ago. These are modern countries. The West Coast of AFRICA was not inhabited by Biblical Israelites. West African slaves were grabbed in the millions to be taken to the New World. If there was an Israelite of any color caught in the whirlwind of the slave trade...would have been a fart in the wind.

You don't need the Bible, just use common sense.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 05-03-2016 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-13-2016, 11:36 AM

14 posts, read 36,910 times
So I ran k12 modern on gedmatch. No subsaharan African. 23andMe's "< 0.1% East African" hit appears to be noise.
Sub-Saharan -
Amerindian 1.65
South_Asian 0.12
Near_East 1.40
Siberian 0.29
European_HG 38.11
Caucasus_HG 21.38
South_African_HG -
Anatolian_NF 35.43
East_Asian 0.92
Oceanian -
Beringian 0.7
Interestingly, it did show a bit of native american (amerindian). My mother always told me we had a Choktaw ancestor, but it's never shown up in any of these tests. I'm not convinced this means it's true necessarily (this could be within noise threshold for gedmatch), but interesting. Neither my 23andme nor AncestryDNA results show any asian/amerindian.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:29 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
So I ran k12 modern on gedmatch. No subsaharan African. 23andMe's "< 0.1% East African" hit appears to be noise.
Sub-Saharan -
Amerindian 1.65
South_Asian 0.12
Near_East 1.40
Siberian 0.29
European_HG 38.11
Caucasus_HG 21.38
South_African_HG -
Anatolian_NF 35.43
East_Asian 0.92
Oceanian -
Beringian 0.7
Interestingly, it did show a bit of native american (amerindian). My mother always told me we had a Choktaw ancestor, but it's never shown up in any of these tests. I'm not convinced this means it's true necessarily (this could be within noise threshold for gedmatch), but interesting. Neither my 23andme nor AncestryDNA results show any asian/amerindian.
I'd recommend painting your DNA on the chromosome painter (I'm a fan of Eurogenes, though should run them through multiple data sets). From there you should look for segments that look large enough to possibly not be noise.

When looking at small amounts, such as 1-2% or less segment size matters more than total percentage... since a single legitimate segment that's only 0.1-0.2% of your DNA is far more informative than 5-10 segments that could be pure noise.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:06 AM

14 posts, read 36,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
I'd recommend painting your DNA on the chromosome painter (I'm a fan of Eurogenes, though should run them through multiple data sets). From there you should look for segments that look large enough to possibly not be noise.

When looking at small amounts, such as 1-2% or less segment size matters more than total percentage... since a single legitimate segment that's only 0.1-0.2% of your DNA is far more informative than 5-10 segments that could be pure noise.
How to tell what segments are not noise?

Old 05-14-2016, 09:03 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
East Africans are Mutts.They have a little bit of everything from African to European in them. The whole area from Cape Horn up thru Egypt and the middle east and then back down thru India was one big trade route and people were constantly moving around since the first groups left africa. They are the oldest peoples. It wouldnt be much of a surprise for anyone to have some East African DNA.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:43 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
There were "whites" living in East Africa in ancient times.
Not just Egyptian upper caste and Roman Empire, but
also Israelite.
East african people arent white and never were.
White people are a mutation from them.

But they are not West African either. The old story goes:There were two sisters standing at a crossroads around Kenya. One went north and the other went west. The one who went west became the Dark Africans and one who went north became the Australoids. The west Africans ended up in the garden of eden. Plenty of food, Plenty of room, Nice weather. So there was no reason for mutation. The Austrauloids on the other hand had none of that. Everything was scarce. Life was tough. They had to inovate, become boat people to escape their desert. They colonized the entire planet. There are still remains of them in Australia, Japan, India and South America.They were constantly looking for a better place and a better life so they mutated a lot into all the other ethnic groups on the planet. The ancient East Africans probably looked a lot like the South Indians of today. Not white, but not Black African either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy