Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

That one was interesting. Each one could have been the whole hour. And no lectures, lessons or the like. It was refreshing. So many immigrants are just assumed to have made one trip, but I've seen other family stories where the younger members eventually collected the whole family. The story of the guy from China is amazing too. Just imagine that single one clay tablet with his roots on it is the only one which escaped. Wow.

On the fence about next week, if I watch it or not. It will be recorded and should it get preachy or hit the civil war bog, then fast forward is your friend.

I wonder what he'd have to say about my gggrandfather's families experience, burned out and evicted from their land in Missouri by Order 11? (How many people even know it existed or what it was?) They sat out the war. Good for them.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:35 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But I did enjoy last night because it wasn't the same old immigrant stories. The Italian guy who went back and forth several times from Italy--I'd never heard a story like that before. And to have that really interesting story of the guy from China was awesome. I think the Asian immigration stories aren't told enough. Plus Aron Sanchez's ancestors who went from Spain to Mexico, then back and forth between the US and Mexico for years. Very interesting stories. I wish they could have spent more time on all of them.
I liked it, too, and it made me hungry! Very different angle. The going back and forth surprised me just a bit, but only because he took so many trips. But it just shows what you'll do for your family. My grandfather left Scotland for America and promised his mother he'd return for a visit seven years later, which he did.

I found this interesting chart on how they were able to separate the 50% paternal and 50% maternal admixture to show "where you got what from whom" -- in this case, Derek Jeter. I wish I knew how to go about getting this; I'd sure pay for it if it's possible.

Courtesy: FTDNA, PBS, Finding Your Roots Genetic Genealogy Consultant CeCe Moore.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:52 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
That one was interesting. Each one could have been the whole hour. And no lectures, lessons or the like. It was refreshing. So many immigrants are just assumed to have made one trip, but I've seen other family stories where the younger members eventually collected the whole family. The story of the guy from China is amazing too. Just imagine that single one clay tablet with his roots on it is the only one which escaped. Wow.
Yes, that is a great episode featuring the chefs. I was not familiar with any of these celebrities. The part about Ming Tsai being able to trace his family heritage back 2000 years was incredible and fascinating. I will keep watching the show.
I found I could also watch them online.
Episodes | Finding Your Roots | PBS

Old 10-27-2014, 07:26 AM

10 posts, read 10,076 times
Let's face it, Gates makes his living - along with Jesse jackson, Big Al Sharpton (or is it little Al now? ) etc. on Race. Remember a few years back when police were called to his house because he locked himself out and was trying to gain entrance through a window? Rather than cooperate with police, he had to show his ass and was arrested. Of course it was because of his race. Just goes to show, you can't fix stupid.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:34 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
I watched a bunch of episodes from the first season on youtube this weekend, and there did not seem to be the constant emphasis on slavery and race. Yes, slavery came up, but they didn't go on and on about race or white-on-black oppression like this season does.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I watched a bunch of episodes from the first season on youtube this weekend, and there did not seem to be the constant emphasis on slavery and race. Yes, slavery came up, but they didn't go on and on about race or white-on-black oppression like this season does.
I don't remember it either. I wonder why now he's decided to stand on the bandwagon. I'm debating watching this weeks. If he goes into lecture mode, certainly fast forward is your friend.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't remember it either. I wonder why now he's decided to stand on the bandwagon. I'm debating watching this weeks. If he goes into lecture mode, certainly fast forward is your friend.
I didn't know if I was going to watch either, based on past eps, but I'm glad that I did. Yes, race and slavery were again the topic, but I got hooked on the stories. Of the 3, I only knew of Angela Basset. I found the woman who is an advisor to Pres. Obama to be very interesting -- I'd like to learn more about her present life!

Old 10-29-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I didn't know if I was going to watch either, based on past eps, but I'm glad that I did. Yes, race and slavery were again the topic, but I got hooked on the stories. Of the 3, I only knew of Angela Basset. I found the woman who is an advisor to Pres. Obama to be very interesting -- I'd like to learn more about her present life!
All I got was a debate for state senator on the dvr so I reset it to record one of the repeats. It's not the stories so much as his manner which bugs me. He has someone who has a potentially interesting tale based in European history and its hardly noted, and in this scholarly voice. Then comes the black background and the enthusiam springs out. Be scholarly or be enthused for all your guests and if you are going to give historical background, same for all. What about someone with Irish descent, for instance, what about where in Ireland they came from and some history of what happened that made them leave?
Let him tell about Cromwell, for instance.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:33 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
I just watched the episode from Tuesday. Even though it was 3 African American guests, I actually found Gates LESS annoying then usual. Maybe because the theme of the show was ancestors in slavery, the discussion of slavery and slavery owners was expected and relevant. Plus, I was picking up on a whole message of how the 3 guests were only a few generations from slaves, but look how successful they are, and how far we've come as a nation. That was refreshing compared with the recent episodes that only focused on oppression, oppression, oppression and evil slave owners that all of today's white Americans need to feel ashamed of.

Like another poster said earlier, if they would just officially make this a show about African American ancestry, which expectedly will include slavery, I'd be fine with that, and I'd still watch it. I just get annoyed when they have a more diverse group of guests and they keep hammering home the Civil War, slavery, and civil rights violations. And the white guests' ancestors never seem to get a fair shake from Gates.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:59 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,634 times
Stopped watching the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy