Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 06:11 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

Primarily my searching is in MI since that's where my family is from. I'm looking for marriagw & divorce records, birth & death, newspaper articles, criminal court records nd documents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:17 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Court records will likely be found at the county courthouse, unless they're too old and you might find them at an archive. Vital records are normally found at the state department of health, or from the county clerk. Newspapers you might find at the library, or an online source but it depends on the specific paper.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:32 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I use familysearch.org for an online source. I've found a lot there! You can gain access to many census records but not all there. I have a link to the original census and with a little time I can find anything I need and its all free.

WV (where most of my relatives lived) has historical vital records online. This has been a big help! Other states have started to post these records as well.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Michigan has a lot of records of familysearch.org.

I am not sure if their vital statistics has a state database/website like WV does but I agree above that WV provides great resources to genealogical researchers. Ohio also has a lot of info online. They used to maintain marriage, death, and birth websites but now it is just transferred over it seems to familysearch.org.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:52 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
I bounce between ancestry and familysearch. Although there are a number of other websites that can lead a researcher to records, most times all I find there are indexes - that's all well and good sometimes, but doesn't always help me prove data or confirm that I'm looking at the right person.

I've also found newspapers.com to be helpful to point me in a direction. The one issue I have with that site is that it takes a bit more time and work to sift through hits. But I did a search for a relative and found his divorce published in a court proceeding (back in the day when those kinds of things were published in the paper). Unfortunately the website is not free - one must be a member, but there is a 7-day free trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy