Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,684 times

Advertisements

What would I consider my Father's Sisters Son's Son? First, or third cousin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 09:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,364,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown24 View Post
What would I consider my Father's Sisters Son's Son? First, or third cousin?
I'd say second cousins, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 PM

993 posts, read 2,295,166 times
They would be your first cousin once-removed. Your father's sister's son is your first cousin.
Your first cousin and you have the same grandparents, this makes you first cousins. The children of your first cousins are first cousins once-removed because your grandparents would be their great-grandparents. Since the grandparents are the common ancestor, that's the first cousin part. Grandparents and great-grandparents are one generation apart, this is the once-removed part. Here are some helpfu links: Genealogy.com: What is a First Cousin, Twice Removed?

Cousin Calculator, Relationship Chart & Relationship Terms. Calculate the relationship between 2 people who share a common ancestor.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,487,852 times
I like to use this flow-chart while doing genealogy research. Works great for me.

"Second Cousins," "Once Removed", and More Explained in Chart Form

Old 03-13-2015, 06:34 AM

95 posts, read 101,723 times
Thank you for the cousin calculator and flow-chart links. I won't have to draw relationship out on paper anymore!

Old 03-13-2015, 09:39 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,616,426 times
In casual conversation, people often refer to first cousins once removed as second cousins. Inaccurate, but easier to convey the relationship. Most people get the idea. But in genealogy, accuracy is everything!

Old 03-13-2015, 01:43 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,364,500 times
Would anyone here be willing to help someone who can't figure out these charts? It's not urgent, but I'd appreciate it.

1. This person and I share the same great-grandparents. Her grandfather and my grandmother were siblings.

2. This other person and I share the same ancestors, but despite being around the same age there's an additional generation in his family tree: his great-grandfather and my grandfather were brothers.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:00 PM

98 posts, read 208,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Would anyone here be willing to help someone who can't figure out these charts? It's not urgent, but I'd appreciate it.

1. This person and I share the same great-grandparents. Her grandfather and my grandmother were siblings.

2. This other person and I share the same ancestors, but despite being around the same age there's an additional generation in his family tree: his great-grandfather and my grandfather were brothers.
It's not too bad if you picture a ladder.

Parents
| |
Child 1 - siblings - Child 2
| |
| |
1's Child --------- 2's Child --------------------------> 1st cousins
| |
| |
1's Grandchild --- 2's Grandchild --------------------> 2nd cousins
| |
| |
1's GGrandchild -- 2's GGrandchild ------------------> 3rd cousins

So for your first relationship you and the other person are 3rd cousins.

For your second relationship: To go between generations you use the top applicable rung and the number of rungs between you and the other person is the number of times removed. You are the grandchild, that is higher than a great-grandchild so you would start at the 2nd rung (2nd cousins). You have to go down one more rung to get to him (ggrandchild) so you and he are 2nd cousins once removed.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 PM

10,217 posts, read 17,920,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post

If you share great grandparents, you are second cousins, not 3rd cousins like someone else suggested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin#Cousin_chart

If you share parents, you are siblings.
If you share grandparents, you are 1st cousins.
If you share great grandparents, you are 2nd cousins.
If you share 2nd great grandparents, you are 3rd cousins.

Just remember if there's the same amount of generations, all you have to do is look at how many "greats" there are and add one number to get the degree of cousinship - so one "great" = 2nd cousins, two "greats" = 3rd cousins, etc.

Quote:
Second cousins once removed.

If there's one generational difference, the cousinship number is the same as the more distant "great" number, plus a once removed. So since you share great grandparents for one, and 2nd great grandparents for the other, you are 2nd cousins (matching the "2nd great") once removed. Hope that makes sense, it does in my head.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:52 PM

98 posts, read 208,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you share great grandparents, you are second cousins, not 3rd cousins like someone else suggested.
Where was that suggested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy