Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 22,736 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone. I am going to order the tests as soon as I see a decent sale. Suzy the code was expired but I will keep checking that site for any updated codes. Thanks bunches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:28 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Don't waste anymore money on a test for you. Test your mother, or a father's relative (does he have any siblings still living?), so you can be sure about where it is coming from.

18% is a lot. That's gotta be some kind of record for a white american.

OP you are black, time to face up and embrace it. I don't know if that is some kind of record, there are whites you have unknown black ancestry and vice versa.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:36 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
OP you are black, time to face up and embrace it. I don't know if that is some kind of record, there are whites you have unknown black ancestry and vice versa.
Since the OP is in the process of confirming the ancestry with additional testing and said in the original post ...

Quote:
Just an aside, the results don't bother me and I don't feel like it changes anything but it does make me curious.
... I do not think your comment is very helpful.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You will get the most information by testing your mother in this situation. She is the one with the most ambiguity in her tree and the most opportunities for a source for the admixture. I would suggest using 23AndMe. You could then move the raw results to FamilyTreeDNA for a lower cost than completely retesting with FamilyTreeDNA. GEDMatch is free, but it is a volunteer site and sometimes you have to wait while they clear backlogs to upload to them.

If you test your brother, have him do Y-DNA with FamilyTreeDNA. That will give you information on your paternal line, probably confirming what you already know.

P.S. Remember to update us when you get the results!
No need to be retested, the SNP's from 23andMe are the same as from Ancestry and you can access and download your ancestry raw data and use it in Prometheus, GEDMatch, etc. If you find a third party tool that requires 23andme data format there is an excel macro available online that will convert Ancestry to 23andme.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:55 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I do not know whether any of these promo codes will work:

https://bluepromocode.com/23andme/

For the Y-DNA, get the 37 marker test. Fewer gets too many unhelpful matches. More is not necessary unless you get a significant number of full 37 marker matches.

I do not see any sales at FamilyTreeDNA, but they have had one around Father's Day in the past.
FTDNA do a lot of sales around Christmas time.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No need to be retested, the SNP's from 23andMe are the same as from Ancestry and you can access and download your ancestry raw data and use it in Prometheus, GEDMatch, etc. If you find a third party tool that requires 23andme data format there is an excel macro available online that will convert Ancestry to 23andme.
The OP tested with AncestryByDNA, this is not be confused with Ancestry.com's DNA test. AncestryByDNA is not compatible with Gedmatch, Prometheus, etc.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The OP tested with AncestryByDNA, this is not be confused with Ancestry.com's DNA test. AncestryByDNA is not compatible with Gedmatch, Prometheus, etc.
sorry, I thought it was ancestry, sorry! yeah have it tested somewhere reputable.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:08 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
The mother has not been tested at all.

OP did not test herself with Ancestry.com. She used another company (AncestrybyDNA) that apparently is not getting reliable admixture results.

It's Yelp, but apparently folks are unhappy:

AncestrybyDNA - Health & Medical - Fairfield, OH - Yelp

Old 04-23-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
AncestrybyDNA is not rated as giving reliable results. You can Google Larry David's results from this company, he came up 22% Native American. Is was read on the George Lopez Show. He has no historical roots in the Americas and he is Jewish. I'd be wary their results. This was a few years back.

Playing with DNA: Is Larry David Really 37 Percent Native American?*|*Megan Smolenyak

I would test with 23andme or Ancestry.com. Their ethnicity predictions are more in the ballpark.
Good article, not just about AncestryByDNA but understanding ethnicity results in general too. It covers a lot of the issues I mentioned:

Quote:
For a variety of reasons, results of autosomal tests should be taken as an indication, not an absolute. First, percentages being presented are those calculated to be the most likely; they are not definitive! Remember confidence ranges from your high school or college stats classes? Plus or minus X percent? These come into play. Three percent Asian, for instance, might just be statistical noise. Similarly, eight percent African might really be eight percent African, but it could also be, say, 11 percent or two percent when the whole range of possibility is taken into account.

[...]

Finally, these tests are based on genetic variations called SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms), and according to genetic genealogy expert, Dr. Ann Turner, "There are virtually no SNPs that are one hundred percent informative for ancestry - always found in one continent and never in another." [Full disclosure: Dr. Turner and I are co-authors of Trace Your Roots with DNA.] The ideal would be to have SNPs that are only found in those of African heritage, for instance, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:19 PM

21 posts, read 22,736 times
Quote:
sorry, I thought it was ancestry, sorry! yeah have it tested somewhere reputable.
I haven't found anything directly negative about AncestryByDNA other than a few user's reviews from several years back, but my results are so far from what I would have expected that I feel a second opinion is probably justified.

It's refreshing how helpful you have all been. I can't wait to get more results back, I'm actually hoping the results are verified. That will make for some fun family conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy