Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you for your detailed response. So the people posting here about how their DNA test broke down their background to X % north European, Z % E Asian, W % Near Eastern, etc. got an autosomal test? And yes, you're right, we only tested the Y line, because all the non-DNA evidence I've turned up through extensive research tells us our likelihood of having some of the N haplogroup in our background (like Balts and Estonians, who have a high percentage of N among the R1b or R1a) was high. The male line. But all we got from the test was R1b M-269, or something (I don't have it with me at the moment). Generic West European, basically. But I may take your suggestion to join a discussion group, to see if I can get more info. Do they usually have an administrator/researcher participating in those?

Family Tree DNA - R1b-M269 (P312- U106-) DNA Project ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 10:22 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Quote:
I'm overwhelmed already. I can digest the first line in your first of the last two posts here. The Family Finder test (do you know how much those cost?) will give me more HG's? "Ancestral branches" of what, the Y line? Could you explain that a bit more?

Well, see, I'm told we're not W European, we're actually Balts, but the results so far don't indicate that. Unless there's more to the story, which is what I need to figure out how to get--the rest of the story. I'll look for the surname forum (having only a few months ago found out that the original surname was spelled differently than what it is now), and see what turns up. Should be interesting, no matter what happens.

Thanks for your patience.
It can all be very confusing... so here's a couple pics of where I checked if any of my Y DNA matches have terminal SNPS (I've blacked out their names, hence the black box)

Keep in mind M269 is about 13,000 years old... so it represents a lot of different people in a lot of different places, it can be found in Baltic regions too. You'll really need to dig down to a more specific sub-group to get more info. Here's some general info on the R1b tree (in which M269 is a sub-group of)

Haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA) - Eupedia
Attached Thumbnails
Help--Is This Normal For Family Tree DNA Test Results?-matches_terminal_snp.jpg   Help--Is This Normal For Family Tree DNA Test Results?-matches.jpg  

Old 10-21-2015, 01:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
It can all be very confusing... so here's a couple pics of where I checked if any of my Y DNA matches have terminal SNPS (I've blacked out their names, hence the black box)

Keep in mind M269 is about 13,000 years old... so it represents a lot of different people in a lot of different places, it can be found in Baltic regions too. You'll really need to dig down to a more specific sub-group to get more info. Here's some general info on the R1b tree (in which M269 is a sub-group of)

Haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA) - Eupedia
Thanks. IDK, but I'm wondering if what I need is to order an autosomal test. I guess the R1b conclusion doesn't eliminate the possibility of Balt ancestry, it just doesn't indicate a strong possibility of it. R1b is only at 5-10% in the Balt region, according to one of the maps.

BTW. what does it mean, "predicted" haplotype? Why is it only predicted, not confirmed? And I'm not allowed into the surname groups/forums. They say I have to have an exact match. Which I'm told means I have to order another test. It seems that for anything I want to do, I have to order a test. This is starting to look like a racket; pay for another product in order to do anything on the site. But I don't care about family trees and matches with other people; that's not why I arranged for the testing. Maybe I need to go to a different company? Or order an autosomal test?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-21-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Or order an autosomal test?

Your ordered a Y-DNA test when you should have ordered an mtDNA test.

Why don't you send them an e-mail so you order the correct test. They're very good about answering questions.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Your ordered a Y-DNA test when you should have ordered an mtDNA test.

Why don't you send them an e-mail so you order the correct test. They're very good about answering questions.
The Balt ancestry is through the male line, though. So I had a male cousin send in his sample.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Quote:
Thanks. IDK, but I'm wondering if what I need is to order an autosomal test. I guess the R1b conclusion doesn't eliminate the possibility of Balt ancestry, it just doesn't indicate a strong possibility of it. R1b is only at 5-10% in the Balt region, according to one of the maps.

BTW. what does it mean, "predicted" haplotype? Why is it only predicted, not confirmed? And I'm not allowed into the surname groups/forums. They say I have to have an exact match. Which I'm told means I have to order another test. It seems that for anything I want to do, I have to order a test. This is starting to look like a racket; pay for another product in order to do anything on the site. But I don't care about family trees and matches with other people; that's not why I arranged for the testing. Maybe I need to go to a different company? Or order an autosomal test?

Y DNA test is the correct one... autosomal will give you an idea of all your ancestry which means you can't use it to make any conclusions about just your paternal line (though the autosomal test is useful if you want to see that full picture).

Hmm, they won't let you join the surname group? Did you try to join the surname of your cousin with his kit? That seems very odd and definitely not normal if they are doing that. Usually surname groups will accept you as long as your surname matches (or if you match DNA wise but don't match the surname).

Old 10-22-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Y DNA test is the correct one... autosomal will give you an idea of all your ancestry which means you can't use it to make any conclusions about just your paternal line (though the autosomal test is useful if you want to see that full picture).

Hmm, they won't let you join the surname group? Did you try to join the surname of your cousin with his kit? That seems very odd and definitely not normal if they are doing that. Usually surname groups will accept you as long as your surname matches (or if you match DNA wise but don't match the surname).
My cuz has the same surname as I do, and yes, I tried, but idk, I'll explore around the site and try again. I did get linked to a certain Polish ancestry forum/project, because so many of "us" ended up in Poland, historically, but we're not Polish, so that's not helpful. Are you able to find an email address for an administrator/researcher? Thx for your feedback so far, and re: the Y-DNA test choice, especially. At least I did that much right.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Update: when I look at their surname list, we're not on it. But when I do a search for the surname with their search engine, I get a notice saying I need to have taken a certain test. I found an admin's email address, but it didn't work, maybe it was an old address. I log on using my cousin's test kit # and his password, of course, but that doesn't help me.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The Balt ancestry is through the male line, though. So I had a male cousin send in his sample.
Quote:
A Y-DNA SNP test determines your Y-DNA haplogroup. Knowing how you connect to other people on the Y-tree can help narrow geographical origins and can potentially confirm specific genealogical connections.

Testing Y-DNA SNP markers places you further down the branch on the Y-DNA haplotree and assists us with scientific research on the Y-tree and for your haplogroup projects. The more people that test their SNPs, the more data points we have to further our understanding of human migration and history. More importantly to you is that SNPs may help in your genealogy and deep ancestry research.
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...st-y-dna-snps/

You may have to order another test to determine as best as possible your Y-origin.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:14 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
ftdna will not tell you your finally terminal snp. there are a little lazy on that. They have me listed as L21 but further testing got me at L555 but i,m still listed as L21
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy