Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:22 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Spain not only ruled the Philippines. They were colonized by them.

This is along the lines that I see British people with South Asian (read India) markers. No doubt in my mind that some of my small Asian hits come from a distant British/UK relative. And as a black American, it is likely from MGM or Malagasy ancestry.
My understanding is that it was done indirectly and that the PI pretty much functioned as a colony of another colony of Spain namely Mexico. The PI also functioned as a penal colony the nobles that were not in good standing were sometimes sentenced to provide services in the PI for a duration of a number of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:25 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazou View Post
Thanx!

I got the McDonald results back in 2013.

I didn't know that he sometimes does free re-analysis for people though. I think I'll shoot him another email soon about any updates to his BGA prog!

Though while many people were saying that he doesn't do analysis for most people anymore..he did do my mother's data for me back in 2016 of last year; It took me emailing him twice using different email addies til I got a response to my messages though lol. So I guess he still does do them, though at his own personal discretion.

I think his analysis is quite solid btw. My rating: 8.5/10.
I am fairly sure that he did my last analysis back around 2013. He did two readings for both my oldest daughter and me. I felt that he was quite generous to do so. And I used the same email address. I think at that time he was trying to fine tune some things and he wanted no more 99-100% Euros asking for a redo. So I think that your ancestry may have interested him.

Have you tried uploading to WeGene? With your heavy Asian ancestry, it may give you more clarity.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 PM

Now I understand why Dr. McDonald stopped doing the "redo" for people with high Euro results.

From https://isogg.org/wiki/McDonald's_BGA_project

Doug McDonald's BGA project does two types of free biogeographical ancestry tests. One is like 23andMe's "Advanced Global Similarity", except that he does more "dimensions". For people with ancestry outside Europe four of these are shown. For pure Europeans his world graph is essentially identical to 23andMe's so instead he shows a European graph, which includes (at lower right) the Adygei, a tribe living on the eastern shores of the Black Sea. The higher dimensions do not give additional information for pure Europeans so they are not shown. The results are sent to participants on graphs as .png files. Dr McDonald also does quantitative tests. These come in three flavors: first without South Asia (represented by Pakistan) and the Middle East, second with South Asia, and finally with all three, as comparison panels.

Dr McDonald previously performed BGA analyses free of charge to everyone who sent in a request. As of June 2013 he has asked that requests should be limited to the more interesting and important cases.

I see that his tech was telling them the same as 23andMe. And he likely got tired of giving the same info to those people. I would think the same of 100% or close to it Africans or Asians, eventually.

Wow, that was around the time that I recalled that he stopped doing free analysis all willy nilly. I think that @ozarknation has interesting DNA and maybe you could give Dr. McDonald a try to see what he makes of your results.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 PM

661 posts, read 880,162 times
Quote:
Now I understand why Dr. McDonald stopped doing the "redo" for people with high Euro results.

From https://isogg.org/wiki/McDonald's_BGA_project

Doug McDonald's BGA project does two types of free biogeographical ancestry tests. One is like 23andMe's "Advanced Global Similarity", except that he does more "dimensions". For people with ancestry outside Europe four of these are shown. For pure Europeans his world graph is essentially identical to 23andMe's so instead he shows a European graph, which includes (at lower right) the Adygei, a tribe living on the eastern shores of the Black Sea. The higher dimensions do not give additional information for pure Europeans so they are not shown. The results are sent to participants on graphs as .png files. Dr McDonald also does quantitative tests. These come in three flavors: first without South Asia (represented by Pakistan) and the Middle East, second with South Asia, and finally with all three, as comparison panels.

Dr McDonald previously performed BGA analyses free of charge to everyone who sent in a request. As of June 2013 he has asked that requests should be limited to the more interesting and important cases.

I see that his tech was telling them the same as 23andMe. And he likely got tired of giving the same info to those people. I would think the same of 100% or close to it Africans or Asians, eventually.

Wow, that was around the time that I recalled that he stopped doing free analysis all willy nilly. I think that @ozarknation has interesting DNA and maybe you could give Dr. McDonald a try to see what he makes of your results.
Cmichele, thanks, I already sent Dr McDonald an email. Hopefully I should receive my results this week.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:34 PM

17 posts, read 46,077 times
Quote:
I am fairly sure that he did my last analysis back around 2013. He did two readings for both my oldest daughter and me. I felt that he was quite generous to do so. And I used the same email address. I think at that time he was trying to fine tune some things and he wanted no more 99-100% Euros asking for a redo. So I think that your ancestry may have interested him.

Have you tried uploading to WeGene? With your heavy Asian ancestry, it may give you more clarity.
I find it awesome that Dr McDonald does it all for free in his own spare time. What a cool guy! We are fortunate if he finds our data interesting enough to look into.

Yeah I had already done WeGene; It definitely broke down my Asian ancestry with great precision!...

I've read quite a number of DNA studies on East/SE-Asian peoples btw. And out of all SE-Asian peoples the "Austronesian/Gaoshan" component is at its peak in Filipino populations; It's basically a less-evolved subtype of Southern Chinese peoples such as the Dai peoples which genetically overlaps with Viet populations on PCA...Makes sense that Viet is my genetically closest population in my Gedmatch oracle single population distance. Filipinos also have some Cambodian/Thai-like admixtures as well which is what is called the "Austro-Asiatic" component according to many genetic academic papers/journals I've looked through..this component is also found at large amount in Malaysian/Indonesian populations though blended together with Austronesian plus some lesser East Asian and South Asian admixtures as well.

I do find the South Asian quite interesting!; I would assume it comes from ancient historical trade/settlement. A bit of Melanesian/Papuan in my results as well, though it's quite minor.

Old algorithm:

Recent algorithm:

Admixture study chart:

Orange = Austronesian
Yellow = Austro-Asiatic
Blue = General East Asian component, or perhaps Han

Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I find it awesome that Dr McDonald does it all for free in his own spare time. What a cool guy! We are fortunate if he finds our data interesting enough to look into.

Yeah I had already done WeGene; It definitely broke down my Asian ancestry with great precision!...

I've read quite a number of DNA studies on East/SE-Asian peoples btw. And out of all SE-Asian peoples the "Austronesian/Gaoshan" component is at its peak in Filipino populations; It's basically a less-evolved subtype of Southern Chinese peoples such as the Dai peoples which genetically overlaps with Viet populations on PCA...Makes sense that Viet is my genetically closest population in my Gedmatch oracle single population distance. Filipinos also have some Cambodian/Thai-like admixtures as well which is what is called the "Austro-Asiatic" component according to many genetic academic papers/journals I've looked through..this component is also found at large amount in Malaysian/Indonesian populations though blended together with Austronesian plus some lesser East Asian and South Asian admixtures as well.

I do find the South Asian quite interesting!; I would assume it comes from ancient historical trade/settlement. A bit of Melanesian/Papuan in my results as well, though it's quite minor.

Old algorithm:

Recent algorithm:

Admixture study chart:

Orange = Austronesian
Yellow = Austro-Asiatic
Same for me.

Perhaps the interest in Native People is for the wrong Native land here? And this is outside of my own DNA. I am just CMichele here. Native to what?

I have had so many DNA relatives jumping all over my South Asian bit of DNA as I show ancestry to Australia.

Throw in some other DNA details and it can be crazy. Princess Diana has a mtDNA group belonging to India.

And I actually believe that little bit of Italian DNA that I may have, along with perhaps Malagasy.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Old algorithm:

Recent algorithm:

Admixture study chart:

Orange = Austronesian
Yellow = Austro-Asiatic
And let me share this here. I happen to know so many Filipinos. But it is on a surface level. You guys LOVE to share your culture.

I find Filipino people to be such proud people. I know enough to feel like I can understand Tagalog when I really can't on a deeper level. But the food...

Tagalog people are very proud people.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:00 PM

For me as black American, I indeed started pulling East Euro with Dr. McDonald. I questioned him about that. I pull East Euro with MyHeritage, too.

IMO, the biggest Euro DNA that I have based on comparison is either Scandinavian or there about Luxembourg from paper. I may have some DNA from the Caucasus area but not really, IMO, true East Euro.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
And let me share this here. I happen to know so many Filipinos. But it is on a surface level. You guys LOVE to share your culture.

I find Filipino people to be such proud people. I know enough to feel like I can understand Tagalog when I really can't on a deeper level. But the food...

Tagalog people are very proud people.
Yeah Filipinos seem to have those sharing tendencies. We love to party and feast at parties lol. We come in a variety of shapes and sizes and personalities. It's important to be proud of one's heritage IMO, it is what makes us!

..Btw I did move to US at 3 and grew up as an American. Now I'm 36 years old living in the Philippines again. It was all new to me when I moved back in 2010 without the faintest memory back at that age of 3. I love how laid back people are here where I live in Makati; I think it's also Philippines' best city especially in regards to development.

My Tagalog could use some improving, but I'm happy I'm ok enough to at least have a fun conversation with my local barber in the language.

Have you been to Philippines before? If you ever visit I would highly recommend the 'Kanin Club' restaurant for great Pinoy food with a unique twist.

Last edited by shazou; 07-16-2017 at 10:40 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
For me as black American, I indeed started pulling East Euro with Dr. McDonald. I questioned him about that. I pull East Euro with MyHeritage, too.

IMO, the biggest Euro DNA that I have based on comparison is either Scandinavian or there about Luxembourg from paper. I may have some DNA from the Caucasus area but not really, IMO, true East Euro.
What percentage overall Euro do you score on the various tests?

East Euro ancestry sounds cool. The languages like Russian for example sound so challenging to learn for me though lol; but I think they sound very beautiful.

You are from Illinois? I also grew up in Illinois. Lots and lots of Poles there if I recall correctly, who I believe are considered a class of 'Eastern Euro' peoplez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy