Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 01:04 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,446,632 times

Advertisements

On the local news last night, the touching story of a 52-year-old woman adopted at birth who took an AncestryDNA test to find family, and her reunion with her dying birth mother. Another story to give encouragement to adoptees searching who may think that their birth mother wants "privacy" and doesn't want to be found, or that she may be "too old" to handle a reunion.

"From her death bed, an Albuquerque woman says she's held on to life for one reason: the hope she would one day meet the daughter she gave up for adoption at 17. About three weeks ago, she heard from the daughter she gave up for adoption in 1965.

Doctors told Vandenburg she had until May to live. She was done, or so it would seem.

'Then all of a sudden, I wasn't weak anymore when I heard about Sharon,' she said.

On Mother's Day, Vandenburg found a new strength. It turns out the daughter she had given up for adoption was looking for her."

After 52 years, woman meets daughter she gave up for adoption | KOB 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:58 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
These situations are the exception or it wouldn't have been on the news.

We have all seen the half siblings meeting for the first time on the news. How many do you think still keep in contact? Eventually the facts and not knowing the person win out over the surprise reunion.

When a person has a life and family it is very difficult to add another family member. Might seem ok at first but don't expect a lasting relationship.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:55 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,446,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

We have all seen the half siblings meeting for the first time on the news. How many do you think still keep in contact? Eventually the facts and not knowing the person win out over the surprise reunion.

When a person has a life and family it is very difficult to add another family member. Might seem ok at first but don't expect a lasting relationship.
I'm talking about searching for a birth mother, not a half sibling. Totally different. This story didn't even mention whether the adoptee had any half siblings.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 AM

16,131 posts, read 10,808,224 times
On 23andme I have maybe six or seven known adoptees in my DNA relative list. I have a couple males that I match on the 'X' chromosome so that means we are related through our mothers. These guys also match another male on the same 'X' chromosome so we have a three-way connection through our mothers but still can't figure it out. I'm the only one with any sort of family tree research but I don't see much that looks very likely in the past 200 years. It is frustrating.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:06 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
Quote:

..........it is very difficult to add another family member. Might seem ok at first but don't expect a lasting relationship.

I'm always glad to have some stranger tell me how I feel. But, if you know all of the adoptees searching for birth information and you know about every reunion in the country, perhaps I should take your expert advice?

Or perhaps you might like to qualify that statement and let us know it is just your opinion.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:57 PM

49 posts, read 64,093 times
My father is deceased and am estranged from my mother. Both were adopted and have some info on their adoptions and have had several 2nd and 3rd cousin matches found on Ancestry.com. My experience has been frustrating as people seem to not want to respond and open a can of worms that an adoption from years past would bring up. Frustrating... The one relative I did have many conversations with alas was also adopted and in a similar boat..

Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,655,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
On the local news last night, the touching story of a 52-year-old woman adopted at birth who took an AncestryDNA test to find family, and her reunion with her dying birth mother. Another story to give encouragement to adoptees searching who may think that their birth mother wants "privacy" and doesn't want to be found, or that she may be "too old" to handle a reunion.

"From her death bed, an Albuquerque woman says she's held on to life for one reason: the hope she would one day meet the daughter she gave up for adoption at 17. About three weeks ago, she heard from the daughter she gave up for adoption in 1965.

Doctors told Vandenburg she had until May to live. She was done, or so it would seem.

'Then all of a sudden, I wasn't weak anymore when I heard about Sharon,' she said.

On Mother's Day, Vandenburg found a new strength. It turns out the daughter she had given up for adoption was looking for her."

After 52 years, woman meets daughter she gave up for adoption | KOB 4
I've been advocating for adoptees a pretty long time, it's rare that a birth parent doesn't want to know the adoptee. There are women that gave children up that are clueless on how to search or feel that when they signed their rights away, they promised to never interfere in the child's life and that it's up to the child if they want to search.

Quote:

I don't know the odds on how many get close and/ or how many don't. It happens both ways. It really depends on each person and the baggage/ expectations they both have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1972 View Post
My father is deceased and am estranged from my mother. Both were adopted and have some info on their adoptions and have had several 2nd and 3rd cousin matches found on Ancestry.com. My experience has been frustrating as people seem to not want to respond and open a can of worms that an adoption from years past would bring up. Frustrating... The one relative I did have many conversations with alas was also adopted and in a similar boat..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
On 23andme I have maybe six or seven known adoptees in my DNA relative list. I have a couple males that I match on the 'X' chromosome so that means we are related through our mothers. These guys also match another male on the same 'X' chromosome so we have a three-way connection through our mothers but still can't figure it out. I'm the only one with any sort of family tree research but I don't see much that looks very likely in the past 200 years. It is frustrating.
You should both take advantage of the free upload sites, My Heritage and GEDmatch who give free ethnicity and family matching and family tree DNA that gives free family matching. For $19 more you can get other features to help. See my thread here Family tree and DNA general instructions

You also may want to reach out to either a DNA group on FB or the Adoption DNA on yahoo groups. I have 2 blogs dealing with adoption reunion.

See the blog Adoption DNA searches scroll to ___ Facebook Pages and Groups ___
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy