Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times

Advertisements

DNA science is pretty complicated and there are a number of DNA tests that are being developed in analyzing "Ancient DNA". I really doubt if commercially available tests are this thorough, or need to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 07:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I haven't done any testing, but an aunt has. She contacted me about a person who contacted her through Ancestry as a first cousin match. We don't have all the details yet, but this person's 'known' biological parents don't match our line. My guess is that she is adopted and wasn't told or her mother hasn't been truthful about who her birth father really is. Her assumed dad died when she was a toddler. If this pans out that my family is biologically related there is a bit of scandal, but nothing life shattering.

Another aunt of mine is worried that is is some sort of scam. The email came through Ancestry. I can't read the dna results since I haven't paid for that. I am assuming it is legit. I don't really have a reason to believe otherwise. I guess I'm looking for advice. Thanks!
Do you have an ancestry account? Your aunt can invite you to her DNA results to see the match

Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
It’s been proven that these DNA kits are not accurate. If you want accurate results you need to go to a doctor that specializes in DNA testing!

Old 03-18-2018, 10:00 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
It’s been proven that these DNA kits are not accurate. If you want accurate results you need to go to a doctor that specializes in DNA testing!
We are not talking about medical DNA tests. For close relative matching this test is highly accurate. Doctors do not perform this kind of test.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:16 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
The genealogy DNA testing is the same as the testing that doctors order. In fact, I believe 23andMe uses LabCorp.

The controversy over 23andMe was the direct to consumer advertising, not the accuracy of the DNA testing itself.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:05 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Make sure the centimorgans matched likely point to a first cousin relationship. See site below.

It would be possible to be scammed, but not in this manner. The person who contacted your aunt sent in a test that matched your Aunt....so is related by DNA to your Aunt.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
So far all of my first and second cousins that have taken the test, show a match on Ancestry...

and they have the match correctly labeled. Other relatives have matched exactly also.

I researched it before using it, and no, they are not scams.
Also law enforcement has used this technology recently to catch cold case killers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQpPbR32roo

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 04-20-2019 at 12:41 AM..

Old 04-20-2019, 12:44 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
We used 23AndMe. The first relative to pop up was who the company said was my nephew. Well, it was indeed my nephew. I was just surprised that he decided to get his DNA done.

The second people to pop up the company said were my first cousins. I do not know these people but I do know OF them. And yes, they are indeed my first cousins but, I'm not too sure if they know OF me.

My mother was adopted and raised as an only child. She only discovered who her biological parents were when she was in her 60s. Come to find out she had half-sibs on both her mother & her father's sides. She managed to meet her sibs on both sides. Her brother on her mother's side was skeptical at first. He came to my mother's house once and knocked at the door not knowing what to expect and not knowing whether my mother was legit or not. When my mother opened the door, there was absolutely no doubt in his mind that my mother was legit because he said it was like looking at his mother. I am now close to this uncle and I just met my cousin (from my grandmother's side) for the first time last year. The cousins on 23AndMe are from my grandfather's side. I have been meaning to contact them but just haven't as of yet.

Cat

Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
I was contacted by a guy doing research for a woman who never knew her father. My father was able to connect her as the illegitimate child of his illegitimate cousin. She only had a first name and a very specific location. My father mentioned things about the cousin like that he drove a Caddy etc etc. and he had a money drain no one could explain that lined up with things she remembered as a girl. Turns out his money drain was child support. She was very grateful to finally know her lineage.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I haven't done any testing, but an aunt has. She contacted me about a person who contacted her through Ancestry as a first cousin match. We don't have all the details yet, but this person's 'known' biological parents don't match our line. My guess is that she is adopted and wasn't told or her mother hasn't been truthful about who her birth father really is. Her assumed dad died when she was a toddler. If this pans out that my family is biologically related there is a bit of scandal, but nothing life shattering.

Another aunt of mine is worried that is is some sort of scam. The email came through Ancestry. I can't read the dna results since I haven't paid for that. I am assuming it is legit. I don't really have a reason to believe otherwise. I guess I'm looking for advice. Thanks!
im not sure if someone mentioned this but if you send your DNA to one of these companies it will be kept in a database for checking against DNA found at crime scenes. you may not think you will commit a crime but if you do, you certainly wont be happy you did this. even if you dont commit a crime; its not a good idea to provide your information voluntarily to people who will share it with the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy