Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:11 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
But they actually don't go back "thousands". They go back as far as DNA genealogy testing has been done. Maybe 10 years?
Im sorry but you are totally wrong on this subject, you need to study more, I suggest you start with the male y chromo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 06:53 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Im sorry but you are totally wrong on this subject, you need to study more, I suggest you start with the male y chromo.
You miss my point. I suggest you study their technique more, to see that they use modern populations to infer, with varying level of accuracy, historic populations. How could they possibly go back "thousands" when few samples of DNA from "thousands" of years ago are available.

BTW, referring to the "male y chromo" is a bit redundant, isn't it? And while we're at it, mtdna is even more conserved. You might start your reading with it.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:04 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
But they actually don't go back "thousands". They go back as far as DNA genealogy testing has been done. Maybe 10 years?
Not true, the ethnicity reports can be more representative of about a thousand years ago. Autosomal DNA matches can include up to about 8th or 9th cousins (meaning your most recent common ancestors are 7th or 8th great grandparents, usually going back a couple hundred years). Y and mtdna can be traced back to prehistoric times because there's no recombination involved and mutations only happen every couple hundred years or so.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You miss my point. I suggest you study their technique more, to see that they use modern populations to infer, with varying level of accuracy, historic populations. How could they possibly go back "thousands" when few samples of DNA from "thousands" of years ago are available.

BTW, referring to the "male y chromo" is a bit redundant, isn't it? And while we're at it, mtdna is even more conserved. You might start your reading with it.
Yes, to determine the ethnicity reports, your DNA is compared with modern populations, however, the DNA from both comes from older populations and therefore can show us where our DNA comes from going back about a thousand years.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, to determine the ethnicity reports, your DNA is compared with modern populations, however, the DNA from both comes from older populations and therefore can show us where our DNA comes from going back about a thousand years.
All of our DNA is ancient. We just rarely have ancient remains to compare it to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/t...e-1271542.html

Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
All of our DNA is ancient. We just rarely have ancient remains to compare it to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/t...e-1271542.html
Well, yes, but with autosomal dna, there is so much recombination that unique segments which can be found more commonly in one area than any other are eventually recombined and don’t go back that far.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Well, yes, but with autosomal dna, there is so much recombination that unique segments which can be found more commonly in one area than any other are eventually recombined and don’t go back that far.
Even though it recombines it all came from ancient ancestors. Recombination just rearranges it, with some mutations thrown in.

That is how the man in the article I cited could be linked to Cheddar Man.

The Y chromosome:

An African American man with a unique Y chromosome has been linked to 11 men in Africa, all in one village in Cameroon. They share an ancient direct male ancestor.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...000-years-old/

Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Even though it recombines it all came from ancient ancestors. Recombination just rearranges it, with some mutations thrown in.

The Y chromosome:

An African American man with a unique Y chromosome has been linked to 11 men in Africa, all in one village in Cameroon. They share an ancient direct male ancestor.

Also, keep in mind that some autosomes can fail to recombine and be inherited intact.

Using the Chromosome Mapper to make a four generation inheritance picture | Kitty Cooper's Blog

"Interesting that she has chromosome 21 intact from her paternal great-grandmother Marilyn."

That's at least four generations that got an intact chromosome.

I had a source that described an intact chromosome passed down through, if I remember correctly, five generations, but I cannot find it now.

Then there are "sticky segments":

https://dna-explained.com/2014/02/19...l-inheritance/

We do not have DNA from all of our ancestors, but what we do have came from ancient ancestors.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:

The Y chromosome:

Yes but we’re talking about autosomal dna, specifically the ethnicity report. None of what you’ve said applies to that.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
We do not have DNA from all of our ancestors, but what we do have came from ancient ancestors.
Well, duh. Modern DNA wasn't "invented" or "developed" by modern humans. Of course our DNA has ancient roots. You could probably argue that our DNA even predates our "ancient ancestors", since it didn't originate with them either.

So what's the point?

Other than that, New Scientist is a good read, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy