Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 05:45 PM

10,293 posts, read 6,394,423 times

Advertisements

I transferred my DNA from Ancestry to Family Tree to compare what my Ethnic results would be. Gave me nothing on that, but gave me a 3,000 plus match on my daughter who tested with them. Sorry, guys, after 30 hours of labor, and "the only redhead in the nursery", don't need anyone to tell me this.

So downloading from one site to another won't tell you your ethnic results from their sites? Only Genetic Matches?

I did contact my 2nd Cousin from Ancestry, who I grew up with. He is not happy with Ancestry new results. I have our mutual maternal ancestry tree, but he cannot access it without subscribing to Ancestry. Don't know how to send it to him without typing 100+ names all over again. My tree is public but apparently you still cannot access it without paying.

With both Ancestry and Family Tree I did come up with the same 3rd Cousin but he has no tree. Contract him but without a tree how would we know how we are related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 05:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,320,141 times
When I transferred to FTDNA it gave me an ethnicity estimate, I think it gave me a pop up that it was still processing for a while.

You can send a guest invite to your cousin to your tree. Just go to your tree settings and sharing, insert an e-mail and a couple of clicks.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:00 PM

10,220 posts, read 17,998,798 times
FTDNA charges a $19 fee for you to access your ethnicity report, called "myOrigins". They make this clear on the transfer page: https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

"After transferring, you can unlock all Family Finder features, which include the Chromosome Browser, myOrigins, and ancientOrigins for only $19."

Also, your cousin can access your tree without a subscription at Ancestry, you just need to send him an invite: https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...-a-Family-Tree

Quote:
With both Ancestry and Family Tree I did come up with the same 3rd Cousin but he has no tree. Contract him but without a tree how would we know how we are related?
Hopefully he knows something about his ancestry, enough to build a tree (even if you have to do it for him). A 3rd cousin would share 2nd great grandparents so I would research back to 3rd or 4th great grandparents.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:08 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,908,146 times
Surely there are better ways to affirm the paternity of one's children than through a genealogy DNA site (??) --- I guess you are saying they really don't provide much in the way of meaningful or usable information.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:55 PM

10,293 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Surely there are better ways to affirm the paternity of one's children than through a genealogy DNA site (??) --- I guess you are saying they really don't provide much in the way of meaningful or usable information.
Maternity, not Paternity.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,022,283 times
Quote:
Ask him. Send him a message giving the names of your grandparents and great-grands, and ask it any of those names are in his family. A 3rd cousin is not so far away. My grandson's 3rd cousin is the grandchild of my 1st cousin.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,882,646 times
I personally don't care about ethnicity results and care more about the genetic matches. I'd think most genealogical researchers also care more about the actual matches versus ethnicity reports.

I tested my dad and I have about 3000 matches between he and myself. His results come in handy for me because I know which of my matches are on the paternal side.

I've also tested my maternal grandfather and I have over 2000 matches between him and myself. His are very handy as well as I know exactly who is related to me through my maternal/paternal side. I'm waiting on my great aunts results to come back so I'll have the maternal/maternal side (she is my grandmother's sister - my grandmother passed away some time back and my mom wouldn't test).

I personally wouldn't test my kids unless I was looking into their father's family, but if your daughter is into researching (now or in the future), your shared genetic matches would be helpful for her in determining matches on her maternal line.

FWIW I initially tested just my grandfather. If I'd just tested myself without already having his results, I wouldn't have made much of any progress on my research of his family. My husband wanted to test so I did let him use an extra I had after buying 6 tests when they were $59. I didn't have any way of telling what side his matches were on really until his half brother also tested. Because this is his half brother through his father - all their shared matches are paternal. Interestingly, since I didn't have much of a tree for him prior to him doing the test, I've made the most progress from DNA on my husband's family tree versus my own. I've gone back 2-3 generations with his results on some of his lines - both maternal and paternal. The brother showing up defined the paternal matches and that opened me up to recognizing the maternal matches. It was VERY helpful since my husband's parents have some shared surnames in their trees - they are not related and are from totally different regions but his mom and dad have 4 shared surnames because they are common names. His brother testing made me able to distinguish those common surname matches as being maternal or paternal and I've made a lot of progress on them in particular and especially on his mother's side of the family, which she has been excited about.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:47 AM

23,945 posts, read 33,844,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I transferred my DNA from Ancestry to Family Tree to compare what my Ethnic results would be. Gave me nothing on that, but gave me a 3,000 plus match on my daughter who tested with them. Sorry, guys, after 30 hours of labor, and "the only redhead in the nursery", don't need anyone to tell me this.

So downloading from one site to another won't tell you your ethnic results from their sites? Only Genetic Matches?

I did contact my 2nd Cousin from Ancestry, who I grew up with. He is not happy with Ancestry new results. I have our mutual maternal ancestry tree, but he cannot access it without subscribing to Ancestry. Don't know how to send it to him without typing 100+ names all over again. My tree is public but apparently you still cannot access it without paying.
PA2UK beat me to it with ethnicity at FTDNA and that you have to invite your match to your tree since they do not pay.

The other sites, My Heritage gives the most free. They give ethnicity, family matches (common matches), matches by country, chromosome browser where you can see what chromosome you match on, family tree and surnames of matches if available. GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis give family matches and all sorts of ethnicity tools. It's a cool site to check out; we have a lot of threads here with their various ethnicity tools but they make you pay $10 a month for chromosome browser.

Quote:
With the match you'd have to look at common matches and if you can't figure it out, invite them over to my heritage and GEDmatch. Send them a link to my thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/genea...ng-upload.html

Old 10-22-2018, 02:42 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,434,350 times
Quote:

If you don't know how DNA works then you won't understand it without learning through your own research.

All of this matching is highly scientific algorithm. Scientists have gone to over 100 countries and gathered DNA from their populations in order to make a global genome record and that is h how your DNA results are matched with different nations. But your DNA matches with other people occur when your set of genomes are compared to others who have taken a test. Fortunately some mothers and offspring find each other after an adoption through DNA matching so it can perform miracles.

As I know it, you can always access a tree if public it just the citations that have to be paid for.

If you not want to pay for information then why would you expect to gain access to Ancestry's hard work and expense at providing their service (which is extremely extensive). You can only go so far with free stuff. At some point you have to relinquish your frugality if you are serious about making an accurate family tree.

All one needs to get an Ancestry DNA kit is open a free account and enter a tree with your own name. Many people are not interested in compiling a family tree so they might never revisit their account and respond to any messages sent them. All they want is a DNA result. As time goes by your DNA origins will get more precise as new DNA technology is discovered. So keep going back regularly to check your results as they get more accurate.

You have only used two of the multitude of family tree websites so you cannot judge your situation on only two.
I suggest familysearch.org. They have a most extensive and comprehensive data base all for free, never have to pay. This is a basic understanding I have that the website is linked to the Mormons who believe they can save all their relatives if they know all their names and can pray for them individually to be saved even though they were born before John Smith came along. But anyone in the world can set up their own family tree on that site. Geni.com is also another site which links to MyHeritage and FamilyTreeMaker.

By the way not all websites accept other companies' DNA testing format. You would have to buy their own DNA kit.

There are likely other individuals that will want to call me out on something I posted here as usual.
Don't bother. If you have spent more than 16 years on a computer researching a family tree as far back as 1342 at this time then you can call me out. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:30 PM

7,697 posts, read 5,589,943 times
Quote:
In Ancestry, when you are on the details screen of your 3rd cousin, click on the sub tab called “Shared Matches”. This lists all the relatives you both share. That usually has, at a minimum, allowed me to determine whether our connection is through my maternal or my paternal line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy