Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:09 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Personally I don't trust CRI. I had my DNA tested with them and they had some really odd stuff for me and a couple of things that were down right impossible to be true.
For example they had me at 8% Jewish. I have no ancestors that I know of that have any Jewish lineage. 23andme had me with 0% Jewish.
CRI showed a significant ancestry from northern Europe. 23andme had me with 0% northern Europe.
CRI showed a small amount of Peruvian Andes DNA which is impossible since my parents immigrated here from Italy with no ties to the Americas.

After comparing my CRI DNA with 23andme DNA, it was obvious CRI left much to be desired IMO and I'm being kind.

Last edited by marino760; 05-07-2019 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
I wonder where they got their database.

What I got from the article was that the tribe got wives from other tribes; his DNA results were true for his line but may not be true for others in his tribe depending on where the wife came from.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Such a rich heritage we have! These new discoveries are exciting.

I am in mind of a book I read in high school about Thor Heyerdahl, a Norse explorer who had the theory that people had migrated from Peru to populate Polynesia - a backwards migration from a American-centric point of view. Circular!

He aimed to prove its viability by building a raft made from material which would have been available at that time period in Peru and actually sailing it to Raroia.

It's a great read - like an adventure novel. If you are interested its name is "Kon-Tiki."

I am disturbed that the study of genetics has been so politicized that it has interfered with our true, scientific perceptions.

Yes, I know of Heyerdahl's expedition and it is interesting. Recent linguistic and ethnobotanical evidence contradicts him, however. Did you know about this expedition https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...cling-journey/
Amazing

How the Kon-Tiki voyage misled the world https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...fic-180952478/

Agree about politicized genetics, but it's not too surprising. Archaeology and anthropology have been politicized also my entire life, and before, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It's interesting though, that Homo sapiens left Africa about 60-70,000 years ago, and it made sense that they would try and stay on or near land, but eventually they got their "sea legs" and decided to set sail.

Rethinking it https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/r...f-homo-sapiens

ETA, forgot to mention that South Pacific Islanders, the Melanesians in particular, have significant Denisovan DNA which is interesting.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 05-08-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 03:39 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Thanks for the references, SimplySagacious.

We seniors need to keep updated! It gets harder all the time. LOL

Old 05-14-2019, 03:15 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That is another theory of how people got to the Americas. Both the Bering land bridge and boats across the Pacific are likely. Neither one cancels out the other.
Concise and well said.

Too often people see articles that word things to make them sensational. As if finding some new things disproves everything that came before. Usually it's the opposite, our picture of thing often expands and it's perfectly reasonable to not believe a hypothesis until there's enough evidence to reasonably put stock in it. Not being to that point is not dismissing it, it's keeping it in the line up until it deserves to move up.

In the last few years there have been a couple well respected DNA studies that dig into the traces of Polynesian looking DNA found in parts of America. Nothing conclusive but this may support boat travel making a relatively small impact in the greater population coming from the Bering, though enough to show up with blips of DNA. Of course the distant East Asian relation of the majority of Native American DNA and Polynesians have always made this hard to separate the two. What's just a trace of more ancient shared DNA and what's a small blip of newer DNA.

Not of this means we should dismiss all the data, studies, and analysis that we already have just because we may be expanding our view. Most of all the new stuff that comes just builds on the stuff we already know.

That concept is widely known by those that are familiar with this, of course it doesn't produce a sexy click bait headline of how the world of Native American history and DNA is upended by some finding. Of course this has the luxury of being closer to the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy