Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 02:28 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I've been told that My Heritage is the most popular ancestry site among Europeans...
so if your family tree goes back to Europe, you might locate more relatives via My Heritage
than via Ancestry.com
That's true. I have European matches from just about every country

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'd like to see the chromosome browser because I suspect there are lots of "mutual" matches that are matching on different chromosomes. I manage my mother, father and sister's kits and check matches pretty regularly. When I see that the same name pops up on our match lists but they aren't showing as mutual it's frustrating. (I guess they're showing the triangulated matches?_ It'd be nice to see where the match is to see what bits and pieces may be connected. But, like you said, that's not something they're going to do. I'll stick to MyHeritage for that.
I have to say that My Heritage may be small but their advanced tools kick Ancestry's DNA's a$$. I usually ask matches to upload there, I link to the My Heritage directions in my family tree stickie. It's towards the end of the thread.

I wish My Heritage would add the colored dots. I love that feature. I'm so over clicking on the notes section of my matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Unfortunately MyHeritage's database is much smaller and therefore hasn't been much use to me.

It is frustrating knowing when (some) matches triangulate but not knowing if the matching segments triangulate. But generally, if you have a group or cluster of matches who all match each either and descend from the same line/branch, you don't really need the triangulated segment data, you already have enough confirmation. The problem is, the Shared Matches tool is so limited because it's restricted to matches with 20+ cM shared, even though segments as small as 15 cM have a 100% chance of being identical by descent. Due to that, it's not always possible to confirm when matches match each other, which means it's not always possible to confirm whether everyone supposedly descended from the same line/branch match each other or not. They need to give us one or the other: either extend the Shared Matches restrictions to include more matches, or tell us when segments triangulate. Either one will do for me.
Agree, it would be awesome if Ancestry would give us some kind of advanced tools like My Heritage has.

Quote:
Agreed. MyHeritage isn't nearly as well known, but when you do contact people they're more likely to reach out since there is a bit of effort in uploading. Unless, of course, they, for some reason, just tested with MyHeritage.
I try to ask matches at Ancestry to upload there. Some do and some don't. I have a new cousin match at GEDmatch that's waiting for his ancestry test to process because he went with a smaller company that my heritage doesn't support.

I find that too, people on My Heritage seem to answer messages more then ancestry. I wish their message system showed read messages like Ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 07:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I've been told that My Heritage is the most popular ancestry site among Europeans...
so if your family tree goes back to Europe, you might locate more relatives via My Heritage
than via Ancestry.com
Yes. I have located a few close relatives. I have spoken to one 4th cousin in Norway that popped up in my "Theories of Relativity." I had actually connected us before it showed us as a match. I felt accomplished knowing I had connected the dots.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 581 times
Ancestry has decided to delete your FOLDERS in Message Centre.

They are deleting folders in the message centre. So no more ability to systematically store, organised or categorise messages from people by subject, date, area, branches (whatever suited you and your research) Now just a chat-room like experience. Great for passing the time on facebook, but not so good for a serious research site - like Ancestry

If you still have your folders its only a matter of time before the disappear. Take action Now!

Contact Ancestry and tell them to STOP!

Old 07-31-2020, 12:11 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias1612 View Post
Ancestry has decided to delete your FOLDERS in Message Centre.

They are deleting folders in the message centre. So no more ability to systematically store, organised or categorise messages from people by subject, date, area, branches (whatever suited you and your research) Now just a chat-room like experience. Great for passing the time on facebook, but not so good for a serious research site - like Ancestry

If you still have your folders its only a matter of time before the disappear. Take action Now!

Contact Ancestry and tell them to STOP!
I’m in Canada and my folders disappeared without advance warning on July 14. Instead, I received this email:

Quote:
We’re excited to let you know that the New Ancestry® Messaging experience is live in your account. You’re now ready to begin collaborating with friends and family with this streamlined feature.

While we are happy to share our latest innovations with you, we recognize that you had folders in the old message centre. Unfortunately, the New Ancestry® Messaging does not support folders.

To help you transition without losing important information, we’ve added the ability to download your folders until August 31, 2020. Simply visit the New Ancestry® Messaging centre and click Download Folders to download your folders to your computer.

We understand that message organization is important, and we are continuing to work on ways to improve this in the new system. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and are happy to answer any of your questions at Ancestry® Support.
The download is in the form of a zip file. When unzipped, there was one file folder for each of my Ancestry folders. Inside a folder are plain text files - one file for each message thread. For example, say I exchanged several messages with Jane Smith about our common ancestor John Smith. That comprises a thread. All those messages would be in one text file.

I would have preferred for my folders to have remained on Ancestry but obviously Ancestry didn’t care.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’m in Canada and my folders disappeared without advance warning on July 14. Instead, I received this email:

The download is in the form of a zip file. When unzipped, there was one file folder for each of my Ancestry folders. Inside a folder are plain text files - one file for each message thread. For example, say I exchanged several messages with Jane Smith about our common ancestor John Smith. That comprises a thread. All those messages would be in one text file.

I would have preferred for my folders to have remained on Ancestry but obviously Ancestry didn’t care.
Thanks for the info. I never did folders, I wish I had. Hopefully Ancestry will at some point bring it back.

I suggest everyone give feedback on the message system every time it asks. Let them know you're unhappy that the folder feature has been done away with and that you hope they reconsider and bring it back.

I love the new messaging feature with being able to see that messages are read. I'm glad that they finally gave it to everyone. What sucks is that I did lose a few messages so some of the messages to matches don't make sense in the beginning when I go back to see what we discussed. I don't know if it was me that originally contacted them or if they did. Thankfully I did utilize the note feature on DNA matches as the match and I figured out how we matched.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:48 PM

Passing along a way to save matches I found in a facebook group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use at your own risk

AUTOMATING 8CM ANCESTRY NOTES
As many of you know, Ancestry is changing up their matching algorithm and dropping matches under 8cM. The exception is matches with notes.
This exception presents a loophole. As a workaround I've seen folks add notes to as many as they can, but it takes a lot of effort. Well, here's a solution.
How it works:
A JavaScript snippet that adds notes for matches as they are loaded into the page, by scrolling through matches. You paste it and start scrolling.
Using It:
Open the DNA matches page and filter out matchers above 8cM.
Wait for the first matches to load.
Open Chrome's developer console.
Paste the code snippet into the debugger and hit enter.
Start scrolling.
Source:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/M...estry_saver.js

Notes:
This is AS IS and AT YOUR OWN RISK.
You may have to refresh the page to see results.
Note on each say "under 8cM."
If you have note for those matches already, it will overwrite them. Be CAREFUL.
Yes, this is borderline, because it could overload Ancestry if abused, but this isn't worse than a Chrome extension. (This is also why I didn't automate scrolling.)

It still takes some time but I'm going through it right now on the four kits I manage.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Just saw that Ancestry added check marks next to messages that have been read by other members. Hopefully this adds a bit of shame to those that don't respond. But, probably not.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:17 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Just saw that Ancestry added check marks next to messages that have been read by other members. Hopefully this adds a bit of shame to those that don't respond. But, probably not.

Under what theory are people morally or ethically obligated to respond?

Old 12-11-2020, 04:53 PM

760 posts, read 767,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Well, when someone signs up for and pays for a service like this and submits their DNA, they are looking to learn about their background/family history since that's what it's FOR! Naturally people on their match list will contact them, that's how the thing works...

When someone takes the time to send a message to someone OBVIOUSLY on their DNA match list, the least that person can do is not be RUDE and leave the other person just "hanging" wondering if the message actually made it thru the system, or failed, the least someone can do is acknowlege it and even if they copy paste a "Sorry, but I'm not interested in contact with you" they at least dont tee someone off who is wondering if the system failed and should they resend the message!

Old 12-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There is none. I’d just like to think my extended family was just a bit nicer then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy