Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 01:56 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,006,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I just don't know what to do.
Again... can 23&Me give your relative the info she requires? Can you sign a release that it's okay to give her that info?

Maybe, ask your uncle if he wants to be contacted, since you indicate he has limited time???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 02:58 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Again... can 23&Me give your relative the info she requires? Can you sign a release that it's okay to give her that info?

Maybe, ask your uncle if he wants to be contacted, since you indicate he has limited time???
The OP had already provided information - see post #42.

The only information 23&Me has is the name used at the website e.g. A.Typical.Girl, an email address and the shipping address for the test kit. The email address could be a throwaway email, and the shipping address (could be addressed to a phony name) just has to be somewhere the buyer can retrieve the testing kit package.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:58 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
The only information 23andme has is a name (not my real name) and an address (I no longer live there). I didn't even fill out the family tree, which is why this cousin reached out to me for names, thru 23andme.

In other news, the cousin decided to contact my uncle. I'm glad that he's keeping me in the loop and I pray this works out for everyone.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:25 PM

335 posts, read 166,915 times
Quote:
A 1st cousin, once removed, contacted me looking for his biological father. Based on our other connections, he thinks he may have been fathered by one of my uncles. I have the missing surname this person needs. Should I give it to him?

I do not have any contact with these uncles or that part of my family. They are not nice people.

What would you do?
give them the info w/the heads up these Uncles are not your favorite people. No reason to deny someone looking for their bio father, in fact, it would be cruel

Old 02-13-2021, 06:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
Additional info:

1) the birth mother probably didn't tell my uncle that she was pregnant.

2) I'm stressing out about telling my uncle.

3) the cousin (searching for his father) is not entirely sure he wants to make contact, after all.

I have a feeling I know which uncle is the father based on pictures and that uncle's past behavior. He would want to know. The father-searching cousin has also honed in on this uncle without any prompting on my part.

I just don't know what to do. My uncle is in his 70s so I think we're running out of time. While I haven't kept in touch with this uncle (or that part of the family); we never had a falling out or anything and he does reach out to me from time to time. If I contacted him, he'd respond to me.

Ugghhhh, I just don't know what to do. I also really, really miss my grandmother (my uncles' moms) because she would know exactly what to do with all of this information.
Why? You didnt do it...you're relaying info and he can make the decision from there.

Not your monkeys, not your circus.

* just saw update. Great! Hope all works out!

**My son's bio dad WILLING decided to be a deadbeat and still pretends he doesnt exist (he blames me of course lol), telling no one in his family. Sad & pathetic...so heres to hoping your family receives the news w open arms.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:38 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
If there is anything else to say, please stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy