Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 05:50 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

A 1st cousin, once removed, contacted me looking for his biological father. Based on our other connections, he thinks he may have been fathered by one of my uncles. I have the missing surname this person needs. Should I give it to him?

I do not have any contact with these uncles or that part of my family. They are not nice people.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 06:08 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
If he was fathered by one of your uncles, he'd be your 1st cousin (not once removed). Unless you have half uncles. How much DNA do you share?

Old 02-08-2021, 07:44 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Have you told this person that your uncle is not a nice person?

You can ask this person to use a third party to send the letter, maybe an attorney, a pastor? I don't know.

This person writes a letter to your uncle and gives this letter to the third party.

You give your uncle's name to the third party.

Third party sends the letter to your uncle.

And you can tell this person and the third party that is the end of your involvement.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
hell yes, and I did, a lady wrote me asking about a name. didnt have any information about her father. turn out, he was my first cousin. gave her address and phone number

Old 02-09-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If he was fathered by one of your uncles, he'd be your 1st cousin (not once removed). Unless you have half uncles. How much DNA do you share?
ugggh, you're right. I left out a piece of information: the person contacting me is this man's adult daughter. She is helping her dad (who is not on 23andme) find his birth father.

So, the daughter is on 23 and me, she came up as a 1st cousin, once-removed in relation to me. Plus, we share alot of other relatives that narrow it down pretty good for me. Not so much for the searchers.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Old 02-09-2021, 09:45 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
What would you do?
Reverse the situation... Pretend you signed up on 23 & me for the sole reason of helping your dad find his biological parent. Assume he is sick and/or old and perhaps does not have long to live. Assume further that you found THE match, the one that holds the key to putting his mind at rest, but your contact is silent and ignoring efforts to establish contact. "Do unto others..."

Old 02-09-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
ugggh, you're right. I left out a piece of information: the person contacting me is this man's adult daughter. She is helping her dad (who is not on 23andme) find his birth father.

So, the daughter is on 23 and me, she came up as a 1st cousin, once-removed in relation to me. Plus, we share alot of other relatives that narrow it down pretty good for me. Not so much for the searchers.
Thanks for the clarification. Then I would absolutely tell her the names of your uncles-- how many are there? Since you have more than one, you can't know which one it was so the burden of proof will be on her. You have nothing to lose and she has something to gain. Maybe she can place one of your uncles in the same place and at the right time and right age to have been her father's biological father. You can ask her to keep the information confidential. She may be able to piece it together eventually anyway without your help, but you can save her some time by sharing the information.

Last edited by aries63; 02-09-2021 at 10:07 AM..

Old 02-09-2021, 10:08 AM

I did it. I told her everything I know.

There are 2 uncles. Both uncles were in the same place at the same time and are around the same age. I hope she is able to figure it out.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I did it. I told her everything I know.

There are 2 uncles. Both uncles were in the same place at the same time and are around the same age. I hope she is able to figure it out.
To be able to narrow her search down to two people, from potentially thousands of unknown men, is a huge feat. Good for you and her! She may not be able to pick the right one unless a child of one of the two suspects is tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy