Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 06:38 AM

349 posts, read 991,610 times

Advertisements

If there are multiple children in the family, how similar or different are their reports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 08:04 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
The DNA ethnicity report? Siblings can vary greatly. They only share about 50% of their DNA with each other, which leaves a lot of room for variation. Plus, the report is only an interpretation of our DNA, not an exact science. Additionally, if they take the test at different companies, there's even more variants - different reference panel, different algorithms, etc.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:12 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The DNA ethnicity report? Siblings can vary greatly. They only share about 50% of their DNA with each other, which leaves a lot of room for variation. Plus, the report is only an interpretation of our DNA, not an exact science. Additionally, if they take the test at different companies, there's even more variants - different reference panel, different algorithms, etc.

As PA2UK says ethnicity can vary. Even with identical twins, they don't get the same amounts of ethnicity like they should. Google has tons of articles on identical twins not matching.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:22 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
If there are multiple children in the family, how similar or different are their reports?
Like to see an example? My sister and I both took the AncestryDNA test. The first number is my estimate; the second one is her estimate. The results often reflect a considerable range around the estimates. For example, my Ireland estimate of 13% includes a range of 0-13%, suggesting I might not have any Irish ethnicity at all. https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help.../bootstrapping

Scotland 57% - 37%
England & Northwestern Europe 23% - 57%
Ireland 13% - 4%
Sweden 7% - 0%
Wales 0% - 2%

I've seen sibling results that were considerably further apart.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:57 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Here's the ethnicity report from my Mom and her sister from Ancestry, I'll let you decide if they have a similar breakdown or not:

52% My Mom Eastern Europe & Russia 38% Her Sister

26% My Mom Scotland 17% Her Sister

15% My Mom Germanic Europe 5% Her Sister

5% My Mom Ireland 0% Her Sister

2% My Mom Norway 2% Her Sister

0% My Mom England & Northwestern Europe 13% Her Sister

0% My Mom Baltics 11% Her Sister

0% My Mom Sweden 9% Her Sister

0% My Mom Wales 5% Her Sister

Old 03-22-2021, 11:57 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
I don't have a sibling that tested. I don't think I looked at my mothers ethnicity compared to mine. At My Heritage I have Italian and no Jewish, apparently I get the Italian from both of my parents. I always thought it came from my dad. I've never found record of it yet. I'm pretty far back on my mothers fathers tree.

I'll post my results with both my mother and my uncle if you're interested to see what it looks like when you test a parent. Both of my parents are Hungarian

Ancestry
Mine on the left, hers on the right

53% Eastern Europe & Russia 31%
24% The Balkans 9%
14% Germanic Europe 36%
9% European Jewish 16%

Mine and my dad's brother
53% Eastern Europe & Russia 79%
24% The Balkans 8%

Old 03-23-2021, 12:06 AM

2,140 posts, read 362,676 times
I would not willingly give anyone my DNA, but I am way more Native American than my brother (dad - a tribal member). I am not “Indian enough” to belong - but throughout my life I have been so connected - I really don’t know why. It is the only heritage I want to belong to but can’t. That’s okay. It’s really the only ancestry that feels like home. Can’t explain it. It’s painful.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
I'd be interested in my brother testing but I doubt he will. Anyway, we have a German last name, and also what looks like either Gypsy, Romani, or maybe Jewish ancestors from Europe. My dad and I both have/had dark eyes and dark hair. But we also know that a big chunk of our ancestry is British/Scottish. Anyway, that's what I "relate" to and always have. I show up with a smattering of German/French ancestry (according to genealogy records, I have a bit of both), but my DNA is 83 percent British/Scottish (and Scandinavian, probably Viking ancestry).

My brother meanwhile has always, always been fascinated with German history, music, architecture, you name it. I just have a gut feeling that he has more German DNA than I do, and probably less British/Scottish. I could be wrong about that. I'm also wondering if any Jewish or Romani or whatever ancestry would show up in his DNA. I was surprised that not one smidgen of it (or Native American for that matter, and we have some pretty good records indicating some "should" show up in there) showed up in mine.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:00 PM

322 posts, read 708,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
I would not willingly give anyone my DNA, but I am way more Native American than my brother (dad - a tribal member). I am not “Indian enough” to belong - but throughout my life I have been so connected - I really don’t know why. It is the only heritage I want to belong to but can’t. That’s okay. It’s really the only ancestry that feels like home. Can’t explain it. It’s painful.
Tribe determine lineage tribal lineage and quantification of tribal blood or in some rare case with tribes, matrilineal descent. If you and your brother come from the same parent with "Native American" (defunct term not used by US natives), biologically, you are not "more" Indigenous than he.

I'm not sure where your lineage is from (US, Canada), but the "Indian enough" are mostly long days past. Most tribes in the US have significant admixture. In the Cherokee Nation alone, almost million members, less than 200k are fullbloods. That is one of the largest US Federal tribes. While you need CDIB blood quanta they do not require for enrollment. Dene (Navajo) are the largest nation of recorded fullbloods and they have mixed blood. You need to be at least 1/4 in Navajo blood. Many Natives are inter-tribally mixed.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:44 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Me:

36% Norway (region breakdown for Southern and Southwestern Norway)
16% Eastern European
16% Germanic Europe
9% Swedish
8% Scotland
7% European Jewish
4% Ireland
2% Finland
2% Balkins

Sister:

26% Norway (with regional breakdown for Southern and Southwestern Norway)
22% England and Northwest Europe
16% Germanic Europe
12% Sweden
11% Eastern European (with regional breakdown for Czech Republic)
5% Baltics
4% European Jewish
3% Finland
1% The Balkins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy