Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 03:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times

Advertisements

My father's middle name is odd so when I saw it connected to a historic family here I started snooping around.

I landed on this strange site called 'Find a Grave" there's no charge for it and the information is so detailed and vast.

I looked up my great grandfather on my father's side. Sure enough there was his big ass monument and then all the relatives around in a photo.

But there was way more. It listed both his parents and also the mother's maiden name. It listed the wife and maiden name, all their children and if remarried the next wife and their children and all of them have birth and death dates and children who married and to who and you have to stay focused or you'll go all over so I staid strickly on the father's side going backward with his father and so forth and all the way to 942 CE and places of birth and death and name changes.

I was shocked how much detail and photos and names and how accurate it is.

https://www.findagrave.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 03:45 PM

3,085 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
My father's middle name is odd so when I saw it connected to a historic family here I started snooping around.

I landed on this strange site called 'Find a Grave" there's no charge for it and the information is so detailed and vast.

I looked up my great grandfather on my father's side. Sure enough there was his big ass monument and then all the relatives around in a photo.

But there was way more. It listed both his parents and also the mother's maiden name. It listed the wife and maiden name, all their children and if remarried the next wife and their children and all of them have birth and death dates and children who married and to who and you have to stay focused or you'll go all over so I staid strickly on the father's side going backward with his father and so forth and all the way to 942 CE and places of birth and death and name changes.

thats an excellent site. lots of good information.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:10 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,829,496 times
Quote:
Find A Grave can be a helpful site, but keep in mind that the information comes from the general public posting it on the site. The website administrators are not responsible for ensuring the information is correct. I have picked up useful information from there, but I have also found many horrendous errors. In most cases, the person who created the memorial is receptive to making corrections, but there are others who slap them up there in a frenzy to have more memorials than anybody else, and could care less whether they are correct or not.

If you find new information on Find A Grave regarding your family, I highly recommend you treat it as a hint and verify it from other sources, before accepting it as gospel facts. Happy hunting!

Old 09-10-2021, 07:47 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Find A Grave can be a helpful site, but keep in mind that the information comes from the general public posting it on the site. The website administrators are not responsible for ensuring the information is correct. I have picked up useful information from there, but I have also found many horrendous errors. In most cases, the person who created the memorial is receptive to making corrections, but there are others who slap them up there in a frenzy to have more memorials than anybody else, and could care less whether they are correct or not.

If you find new information on Find A Grave regarding your family, I highly recommend you treat it as a hint and verify it from other sources, before accepting it as gospel facts. Happy hunting!
I has a lot of information already so it was accurate and didn't stray too far from anything. I found it good for what I was doing and then able to look up specifics on some people to verify on other sites.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:06 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Find a Grave is awesome. I wish we had more quality sites like that. And yes, it's not just about gravestones. I'd have to wonder about any naysayers and grumps complaining about it.

I've forwarded many additions and corrections. Some got approved quicker than others, but I've never had any resistance to them, and the help has been appreciated. I've seen it get better and better over time.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-10-2021 at 08:17 PM..

Old 09-10-2021, 09:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:02 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,636,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post

I stumbled upon Find A Grave when I was searching for information on my father's family. Find A Grave had uploaded his basic information from the VA National Cemetery Administration, and someone had added completely erroneous information about non-existent relatives. I became a member in order to delete that information and add what I knew was correct.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
And find a grave really only can verify the grave. I have a set of great grandparents and both of their headstones are wrong. I have no idea what anybody was drinking when they bought the headstones.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:52 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:

This is the genealogy section. Most of us are memorial managers or some how active there by submitting edits when we work on family trees.

You said all the way to 942 CE

I doubt you got to 942CE on find a grave. I'll be shocked if it's valid because you get to a point where it's hard to find records because they don't exist.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
I volunteer for FG, going out to take pictures today (woohoo!!). It's a lot better than the competitor, billiongraves.com, which has the fantastic model of "one person takes a picture" and then "another person tries to decipher what is on the stone". However it's easy for anyone to make corrections on BG, not so on FG.

My favorite memorial on FG is for "unknown" name, "unknown" birth and death dates, no burial info, no photo, no family connections. There are several like this. Someone was padding their numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy