Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 01:25 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times

Advertisements

A lot of my stuff is based in the middle of Pennsylvania.

At one time Bedford County was practically the whole of the middle of Pennsylvania. But they started carving out other counties from it and now we have the county borders that we have today. To me it makes sense that when I am searching for somebody who was buried in the 1700s, I would look in the county that they should be buried in today, not the county that they were buried in in the 1700s, which would have changed. Possibly a few times.

In other words, since I’m working with modern search engines it makes sense to me to use modern borders. But as I was doing it today it dawned on me maybe I should be looking also in the previous county? So if I have a relative who was buried in what was then Bedford county but is now Somerset does it make sense to look in both Bedford and Somerset County‘s in the search engine? Or am I over thinking this?

Old 12-10-2021, 06:54 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
For something like a cemetery with a physical location/address, I would look for the modern county, since the address will have changed when the county did. With records archives, it's usually the opposite though. If I'm looking for a deed or probate from before Montgomery County formed in 1784, I'll have to look under Philadelphia. So if you're looking for an original record of the burial (not the location itself), you should probably look for the original county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
For something like a cemetery with a physical location/address, I would look for the modern county, since the address will have changed when the county did. With records archives, it's usually the opposite though. If I'm looking for a deed or probate from before Montgomery County formed in 1784, I'll have to look under Philadelphia. So if you're looking for an original record of the burial (not the location itself), you should probably look for the original county.
Good to know. Thanks! That’s the thing about this hobby, you can’t know everything. But somebody else will have an answer. Yeah — I was looking for an actual gravesite and I can’t find it so I have the feeling that it might’ve been like an old family farm sort of situation and is lost to the ages.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:58 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
OP, when you say you have used "search engines", have you tried USGENWEB ? USGenWeb Project - Always Free

Long before Find-A Grave became popular, I was able to find my 1st & 2nd GGF's graves in TN using USGENWEB. The website for the county in question is maintained by a local person whose hobby is going around the county finding all the obscure graveyards from the 1800's, etc.

See examples here
https://www.scott-county-tn.com/Deat...cemeteries.php

Good Luck.........

Old 12-12-2021, 01:28 AM

936 posts, read 822,522 times
No, you are not overthinking your search. You are on the right track. There is a possibility that other records can be found in places hundreds of miles away. That's why it's helpful to understand the general history of the area where your ancestors and relatives lived. Here's an example:

My grandmother's family was Missouri French, settling in Missouri around 1720. (About 300 years ago and about 100 years before the Louisiana Purchase. ) Other genealogist found records for this family in Alabama, even though they never lived a single day in Alabama! It's because of history: Mobile, Alabama, was the early capital of New France. It was the administrative center for the colonial French government.

That's why it's helpful be be a history buff as you work on your tree. Important documents can be found in places where you least expect it.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:16 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
OP, when you say you have used "search engines", have you tried USGENWEB ? USGenWeb Project - Always Free

Long before Find-A Grave became popular, I was able to find my 1st & 2nd GGF's graves in TN using USGENWEB. The website for the county in question is maintained by a local person whose hobby is going around the county finding all the obscure graveyards from the 1800's, etc.

See examples here
https://www.scott-county-tn.com/Deat...cemeteries.php

Good Luck.........
I forgot about the USGenWeb Project. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you. jk I just spent hours aimlessly reading whatever caught my attention.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:48 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
A lot of my stuff is based in the middle of Pennsylvania.

At one time Bedford County was practically the whole of the middle of Pennsylvania. But they started carving out other counties from it and now we have the county borders that we have today. To me it makes sense that when I am searching for somebody who was buried in the 1700s, I would look in the county that they should be buried in today, not the county that they were buried in in the 1700s, which would have changed. Possibly a few times.

In other words, since I’m working with modern search engines it makes sense to me to use modern borders. But as I was doing it today it dawned on me maybe I should be looking also in the previous county? So if I have a relative who was buried in what was then Bedford county but is now Somerset does it make sense to look in both Bedford and Somerset County‘s in the search engine? Or am I over thinking this?
Hmmmm...........I live just south of Bedford/Somerset in Allegany County, MD. A few of my people ended up moving over the Mason-Dixon at some point and ended up being buried there.

If you want to send me a PM with the surname of the person, I would be happy to let you know if I have any clues that may help. If you have relatives that lived there in 1700s, it is possible we are distantly related.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Hmmmm...........I live just south of Bedford/Somerset in Allegany County, MD. A few of my people ended up moving over the Mason-Dixon at some point and ended up being buried there.

If you want to send me a PM with the surname of the person, I would be happy to let you know if I have any clues that may help. If you have relatives that lived there in 1700s, it is possible we are distantly related.
Very familiar with Allegany. My family went back and forth, too.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:59 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I forgot about the USGenWeb Project. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you. jk I just spent hours aimlessly reading whatever caught my attention.
Genealogy has lots of 'down the rabbit hole' opportunities. Fun way to spend time imo.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:39 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Very familiar with Allegany. My family went back and forth, too.
It's very possible we are 6th cousins or so. At any rate, if you ever have a specific question about the area, feel free to contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy