Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 04:46 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

I am aware of a family that found out they had a full older sibling that they were unaware of. The biological parents were teens and gave the baby up, later married and had more children. The baby came looking for her parents and that is when the other kids learned they had an older sister. Anything is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 06:51 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
My 23&Me results mapped me to my biological grandmother, not my mother. Had I not known very specific details about my biological mother (number of siblings, particularly), I would not have realized the error.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Did your mother or grandmother have their DNA tested by 23andMe?

Old 11-14-2022, 08:37 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Did your mother or grandmother have their DNA tested by 23andMe?
No, not directly. I had to trace the history of 4 different branches back into the 1800s in order to find the common thread, which finally pointed me in the right direction to complete the one branch leading to me. I posted about it at the time: Link

Old 11-14-2022, 09:14 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
A relative of mine got a report indicating an additional child in a family (this would be dating back to the 1920s) which seems completely unfeasible. A child who supposedly went on to marry and have children and grandchildren. This seems wildly unlikely.

Do you unders6tand it probably said close family on the match?

Have your relative look at how many cM's they share with the match, then go to the shared cM project, input the mount of cM's, then hit enter on the keyboard, it gives the list of possible relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

Right, head scratcher for sure!

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-14-2022 at 10:25 PM..

Old 11-15-2022, 07:16 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
23 & Me told me I probably don't have freckles, but I have lots of freckles. But the actual percentages of my ancestry that they calculated, was boringly accurate.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:02 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Story time: Im on genealogy boards and fairly well known on certain boards.

I get a random inquiry asking about one of my fathers cousins... We will call him D1930
Male 1960 asks about the ancestry of D1930 and states he suspects he is his father. This was based on a few personal checks found in a drawer with no explanation other than its a personal check from D1930 and they are monthly.

He had an ancestry test and my father's mothers family is a match.

Male 1960 asked his mom about his father and never got an answer. He remembered only that there was occasionally a guy Female 1930 met and he drove a big Cadillac.

So I pass this on to my father.

My father knew a few things.
My father's mother had a sister we will call M1900
M1900 had an out of wedlock child we will call D1930
D1930 was a jerk
D1930 drove a Cadillac.
D1930 also had an out of wedlock kid no one knew much about.

Circle complete

Suddenly pieces fall into place.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:57 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
23 & Me told me I probably don't have freckles, but I have lots of freckles. But the actual percentages of my ancestry that they calculated, was boringly accurate.

Yeah.. Traits.. They said there was a 96% chance I don't have red hair.. Well.. Once again, I buck the odds.

While it's mostly gray, what's left of it, it certainly was red to start with.

But.. Between 23andme and Ancestry, I've found my mothers birth parents.

Pretty average story.. They were about 17 and 15 back in 1949.. They didn't stay together, though apparently both of them were at the hospital for her birth and gave her up to my grandparents.

Both died about 12-15 years ago.. I got all this info about 6 years ago.. So.. JUST missed out on them. But, I have been in contact with 2 half sisters of hers and the kids on one side.

Seems they both went on to happy lives.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:37 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
World War 2 saw quite a few first babies put up for adoption. Engaged couples where the male was in the military often had their wedding plans interrupted when the guy was sent overseas. If he was killed he may have left behind the woman he expected to marry so she had no choice but to either have a family member take in the child, or to give it up for adoption. There were plenty of well heeled families looking to adopt. Women couldn’t raise a child on their own in those days so adoption it was. We’ll be discovering more of these situations but there should be no stigma attached at all.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:51 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
World War 2 saw quite a few first babies put up for adoption. Engaged couples where the male was in the military often had their wedding plans interrupted when the guy was sent overseas. If he was killed he may have left behind the woman he expected to marry so she had no choice but to either have a family member take in the child, or to give it up for adoption. There were plenty of well heeled families looking to adopt. Women couldn’t raise a child on their own in those days so adoption it was. We’ll be discovering more of these situations but there should be no stigma attached at all.
No stigma? Agree, but even more generally. Why should any kid be blamed for things their parents did?

It's interesting, my spouse took an ancestry test a few years ago, discovering that she didn't have the father she thought. Instead, she was conceived through a sperm donor to her mother, and is a member of a group of dozens of "biosibs". Does it affect her? Not at all. In fact, she finds the story interesting, and how some of her biosibs were aware of the story, and some not. One of the donor's natural offspring is in contact with the group, too.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:51 PM

725 posts, read 598,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Something like this happened in the case of my (newly discovered via DNA) half-brother. His birth mother gave him up for adoption to a childless couple. The birth mom's husband was overseas during WWII when she somehow hooked up with my father. (This was 10 years before I was born.) Young woman, married, husband abroad (there is no record of him ever returning from the war), gets pregnant, gives up the baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy