Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 07:33 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It's always fun when you tell someone that their information is wrong and you are backed up by 30 different sources and their response is "My Grandma told me that and she was no liar. Are you calling my grandma a liar?"
Sometimes relatives are the worst sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 08:08 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
One set of my grandparents both lied about their birth on their wedding registration papers.

My gm made herself 4 years older. She had run away to be with GP and I’ve always assumed she needed to be that age to marry without her parents permission.

I’ve noticed a number of people on gp’s side of the family have her birthdate as the incorrect year. Should I bother to let them know the correct information?

My gp (DC1) was born in Newfoundland but wrote down a place in Canada. A younger relative of his was born there and given the same first and last name (DC2). I’ve noticed a few people have linked my gm as the spouse of DC2 which is funny because he would have been 7 years old. Should I let them know her spouse was DC1, not DC2? My concern is gp’s parents are supposed to be DC2’s parents as well. They could have used the same first but different middle names, I suppose, but I understand that one of DC1s sisters had a baby out of wedlock so maybe it’s that. I don’t like having the wrong information out there but I don’t want to upset someone by pointing out my gm was married to ggp’s oldest son, DC, not their youngest son DC.

Thanks.
Mistakes are sometimes done for a reason.

My father-in-law's birth certificate's date is wrong. He was born before Jan 1922 - the date listed on his bc. The reason was his parents wished to delay his entrance into the Italian army. When the men born in 1921 were called up, he would be the youngest. Instead, he'll have another year of maturity if he went with men born in 1922.

I've tried correcting people's misinformation. It never worked. People cling onto misinformation like their lives depend on it. Whatever!

Old 06-27-2023, 08:29 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
You can't always believe what you see.

I mistakenly put an incorrect date of birth on my mother's tombstone.

I realized it after the stone was installed.

I decided to ignore it. No one else would even know the difference.

Future generations will have to sort out the discrepancy between the cemetery date and the census records.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:33 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
It's really hard to deal with spelling when people sometimes change the spelling. I only recently became interested in genealogy because I discovered my biological father and half-sisters. Bio-dad's last name has changed spelling several times over the generations and it's really hard to search when you don't know when or why the spelling is different. Luckily the work on that side is mostly all completed by others who went before me. The records show that the last name changed spelling at least 2 times over the decades and centuries since they left their country of origin.

My mom changed the spelling of her middle name at some point. Her license and BC spell it in different ways.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:56 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's really hard to deal with spelling when people sometimes change the spelling. I only recently became interested in genealogy because I discovered my biological father and half-sisters. Bio-dad's last name has changed spelling several times over the generations and it's really hard to search when you don't know when or why the spelling is different. Luckily the work on that side is mostly all completed by others who went before me. The records show that the last name changed spelling at least 2 times over the decades and centuries since they left their country of origin.

My mom changed the spelling of her middle name at some point. Her license and BC spell it in different ways.
Sometimes the changed spelling of names can happen bc of official records.

Quarles is a family name of mine. I spoke to a man who's last name was Qualls. When I mentioned the similarity to Quarles he said his family name had originally been Quarles but a Census taker sometime in the 19th C. had written the name as it was pronounced, with a non-rotic R.

So his family officially became Qualls.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:18 PM

219 posts, read 160,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You do know that Newfoundland is part of Canada, correct?
Not before 1949. His parents moved the family to Canada in 1908 when he was a baby and he married in 1931. Sorry for the confusion. I’m used to everyone knowing that fact.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:43 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
Should I bother to let them know the correct information?
My vote: Mind your own business.

Old 06-30-2023, 02:26 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Sometimes the changed spelling of names can happen bc of official records.

Quarles is a family name of mine. I spoke to a man who's last name was Qualls. When I mentioned the similarity to Quarles he said his family name had originally been Quarles but a Census taker sometime in the 19th C. had written the name as it was pronounced, with a non-rotic R.

So his family officially became Qualls.
Oh yes, those troublesome Quarls/Quales/Qualls and probably many other variations. Does make it interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy