Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 10:37 PM

219 posts, read 161,237 times

Advertisements

One set of my grandparents both lied about their birth on their wedding registration papers.

My gm made herself 4 years older. She had run away to be with GP and I’ve always assumed she needed to be that age to marry without her parents permission.

I’ve noticed a number of people on gp’s side of the family have her birthdate as the incorrect year. Should I bother to let them know the correct information?

My gp (DC1) was born in Newfoundland but wrote down a place in Canada. A younger relative of his was born there and given the same first and last name (DC2). I’ve noticed a few people have linked my gm as the spouse of DC2 which is funny because he would have been 7 years old. Should I let them know her spouse was DC1, not DC2? My concern is gp’s parents are supposed to be DC2’s parents as well. They could have used the same first but different middle names, I suppose, but I understand that one of DC1s sisters had a baby out of wedlock so maybe it’s that. I don’t like having the wrong information out there but I don’t want to upset someone by pointing out my gm was married to ggp’s oldest son, DC, not their youngest son DC.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 12:57 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I wouldn't. (Unless asked by them of course).

Old 06-26-2023, 04:09 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Put the correct info on your tree. You can't control what others do.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:04 AM

219 posts, read 161,237 times
Thank you

Old 06-26-2023, 10:34 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
In my experience, hell hath no fury like a genealogist corrected.

I have tried to correct some others but gave up. Instead, I put a note on my public tree as to how and why my information is correct and not the incorrect information I see on some other trees. You can do that on Ancestry trees with a dated event comment.

The irony is that I was ultimately responsible for that incorrect information way back in the 1990s genealogy craze. I made an incorrect spousal relationship on a very early version of an online tree and corrected it about three days later. In that short time someone else picked it up and ran with it and others simply copied from that tree. I followed it back to the person who cites me as the source and contacted them, but they refused to recognize that I was the source and became irate that I would question their research.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:08 AM

2,976 posts, read 1,645,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
In my experience, hell hath no fury like a genealogist corrected.

I have tried to correct some others but gave up. Instead, I put a note on my public tree as to how and why my information is correct and not the incorrect information I see on some other trees. You can do that on Ancestry trees with a dated event comment.

The irony is that I was ultimately responsible for that incorrect information way back in the 1990s genealogy craze. I made an incorrect spousal relationship on a very early version of an online tree and corrected it about three days later. In that short time someone else picked it up and ran with it and others simply copied from that tree. I followed it back to the person who cites me as the source and contacted them, but they refused to recognize that I was the source and became irate that I would question their research.
Isn't that the truth!

My gggrandmother had the unusual name of Louvica. A distant cousin I met through Ancestry had done extensive research on the family and "corrected" her name to Louisa. I have lots of information on her, letters, picture, newspaper obituary, etc. All clearly show her name to be Louvica.

When I sent this cousin an image of the obit to show her actual name, he refused to change it, his reason being it was a typo. *sigh*

He published his research on the family with her name as Louisa. I had planned on getting a copy but changed my mind after that.

I'm only mildly interested in this branch of the family anyway and already kind of know their story.

But it was an interesting encounter, smh.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:36 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just stay in my lane and verify everything. Others can spin yarns, but I have no control of that.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:25 PM

982 posts, read 542,512 times
My dad and his older sister had a falling out over geneology differences. They both reseaerched on their own and went different directions on some stuff. I think my aunt was more accurate and my dad more driven by flights of fancy.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:53 AM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
It's always fun when you tell someone that their information is wrong and you are backed up by 30 different sources and their response is "My Grandma told me that and she was no liar. Are you calling my grandma a liar?"

Old 06-27-2023, 06:08 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post

My gp (DC1) was born in Newfoundland but wrote down a place in Canada.
You do know that Newfoundland is part of Canada, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy