Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2023, 06:51 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Another story of what can get unexpectedly uncovered.

Two 68-year-old men in Canada discovered they were switched at birth and now say they wish they'd never found out the truth
https://www.insider.com/two-canadian...na-test-2023-8

A hospital’s mistake left two men estranged from their heritages. Now they fight for answers
In 1955, a Manitoba hospital sent Richard Beauvais and Eddy Ambrose home with the wrong families. After DNA tests revealed the mix-up, both want an explanation and compensation

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...irth-manitoba/

‘I’ve been robbed of my identity’: Two Canadians switched at birth discover the truth at 65
The men experienced diverse lives due to the different ethnicities of the families they went home with from hospital 67 years ago. Now, they try to understand who they really are

https://www.irishtimes.com/world/can...e-truth-at-65/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 07:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
I knew the wife of a small town OBY-GYN and when she gave birth she would not her baby leave her hospital room. This was in the 80s before DNA tests were available to ordinary people, she had heard of babies getting mixed up I think.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:46 PM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
It probably has happened more than we will ever know. DNA tests for the general public is bringing this up now. Those me are my age and I can't imagine what kind of lives they feel they missed, but I am not sure wanting compensation now is really going to solve anything.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:59 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I knew the wife of a small town OBY-GYN and when she gave birth she would not her baby leave her hospital room. This was in the 80s before DNA tests were available to ordinary people, she had heard of babies getting mixed up I think.
Well, we've all "heard" of it, but she sounds paranoid, unless there was something she wasn't telling.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:03 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, we've all "heard" of it, but she sounds paranoid, unless there was something she wasn't telling.
Her husband was an OB-GYN. They lived in a small town. It is highly unlikely she was paranoid.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:14 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
It probably has happened more than we will ever know. DNA tests for the general public is bringing this up now. Those me are my age and I can't imagine what kind of lives they feel they missed, but I am not sure wanting compensation now is really going to solve anything.
I agree. The individuals responsible for the mix up are too old to be held accountable for it and there's a good chance that they are dead and gone.

Maybe these gentlemen could write a book together and even make a movie about their experiences.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:02 PM

7,065 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I was a redhead who married a redhead so all my babies had red hair so I could always tell which baby was mine).

Old 09-05-2023, 03:16 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
When I was growing up my sister had a long-running joke: She was switched at birth and her real parents lived in Beverly Hills.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:21 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Another story of what can get unexpectedly uncovered.

Two 68-year-old men in Canada discovered they were switched at birth and now say they wish they'd never found out the truth
https://www.insider.com/two-canadian...na-test-2023-8

A hospital’s mistake left two men estranged from their heritages. Now they fight for answers
In 1955, a Manitoba hospital sent Richard Beauvais and Eddy Ambrose home with the wrong families. After DNA tests revealed the mix-up, both want an explanation and compensation

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...irth-manitoba/

‘I’ve been robbed of my identity’: Two Canadians switched at birth discover the truth at 65
The men experienced diverse lives due to the different ethnicities of the families they went home with from hospital 67 years ago. Now, they try to understand who they really are

https://www.irishtimes.com/world/can...e-truth-at-65/

Unfortunately, there are more people out there who were also switched that may not even know it.

Think of being named for your father, you name your son the same who names his son the same to find it's not the last name that they should have.

The last name being wrong doesn't affect female kids like it does males. What a nightmare it must be to have to change your last name after finding out, then your son changes his and his sons last name too.

I have a 2nd cousin who didn't know his father was born to a single mother, the last name was her maiden name but Americanized at some point after he came here as an older teen. Our great grandparents raised him while his mother was trying to make a life here. A sister was named after their grandmother but that was not how she spelled her name until someone here misspelled it. My mother was named for his grandmother, but she was still in Hungary, her spelling is right.

Hopefully the Canadian government will step up to try to make it right for these two men, how horrible that the one spent a lot of time in foster care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy