Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes but what is found in trees is not always royalty.
Some nuts in every family tree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I wouldn't put much faith in findagrave.com either. I think much of it is copied off other websites and some of it seems to be made up. They list 2 cemeteries in my county that don't even exist. I also found the same cemetery listed twice under a slightly different name and with MOSTLY the same people buried in both. They don't have a "gatekeeper" or whatever checking this stuff and people, probably some sitting at home in their bathrobes post all sorts of stuff. There's no way of knowing what is accurate and what is c**p.
While that may be true, you can always ask for photos of graves... that came in handy for me a while back. And some cemeteries are known under two names -- one may be historical. I've run into that.

And one thing about cemeteries -- people keep dying and keep getting planted in them -- so yeah -- records are never 100%.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:51 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
We were able to trace ours back to the Highlands of Scotland.

That means Twice we had to show England what we were made of .
I have to admit that the de facto Scottish National Anthem ''Flower of Scotland'' is the most awesome anthem of any country in the world IMO .

''Oh flower of Scotland, When will we see your like again
''That fought and died for, Your we bit hill and glen
''And stood against him, England, Proud Edward's army
''And sent him homeward, Tae think again

''Those days are past now, But in the past they must remain
''But we can still rise now, And be a nation again
''And stood against him, England, Proud Edward's army
''And sent him homeward, Tae think again

YouTube - Flower of Scotland

Old 11-09-2009, 06:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Here is a neat site with lists of ships and the passenger lists
Pilgrim Ship Lists By Date
This is very interesting.
I have a book, researched, compiled and published by a forebear in 1854.
He traced the family line back to our first settler, in the mid-17th century--and I have visited the grave of this first settler.
In the book, it is stated that this original ancestor, a Puritan, sailed from Hull to Boston at age 18 in 1635. However, they are not precisely certain that Hull was the port. Hull is not listed in that Pilgrim ship website, but there are several ships which ended up in Boston. I have not yet looked at the passenger lists.
Thanks for the link, Trudy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
On my father's father's side we have it well documented back to the 1500s and even have a couple of portraits of relatives from back then. On his mother's side we have it well documented back to the early 1700s. On my mother's father's side we have it well documented back to the early 1700s. But on my mother's mother's side we can not find anything beyond my mother's grandfather. Just a complete blank. Very frustrating.
My situation is similar to yours. On my dad's side, esp the maternal side, we can trace back to the 14th century.
My mom managed to trace back to her great-grandparents, and that's it.
I think the Great Famine in Ireland broke up a lot of families, but I have heard that if you have any remote idea of what township to visit, there are helpful church records. We don't really know what town.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:32 AM

BTW
For privacy's sake, I don't want to post my first ancestor's name.
But when I have googled his name coupled with the town to which he immigrated, he shows up all over the place. Some of the information I find matches what is in my old book, and some of it doesn't.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
I have traced several of my lines back as far as possible..One of my great grandfathers Mathew Ozborn II.. came over as a stowaway on a ship to America.. his headstone reads Of Norse Origin..My mom had some papers talking about a William Fitzosborn so this prompted me to find out more.
So far the Osborn line dates back to 800AD during the time of the Vikings..I can go back further but haven't had time to research more.
One of my great grandfathers... William Fitzosborn fought in the Battle of Hastings in 1066 for William the Conqueror.. (William Fitzosborn was a Viking).. he was was given charge of the Isle of Wight, and then before 22 February 1067 he was made Earl of Hereford as well as Gloucester, Worcester and Oxfordshire. William was also one of the major Norman castle builders. The fitz part was taking off and are now know as Osborne..Osborne was spelled many different ways.. and NO I am not related to Ozzy Osborne. He comes from another line..
My Osborn, McCandless and Ward Family owned most of the Southern parts of Greensboro, NC..think it was a couple thousand acres or more. The land where The Grand Over Resort now is was once own by my Great-Great-Uncle Virgil Ward..they sold all 500 acres to the city of Greensboro a few years ago when he passed...It was all farm land.

I have another line that dates back to Sir Issac Newton. In which my husbands line also connects but 100 years back so many times removed. This is a part of my Smith line..dated back to a Thomas I Smith born in 1720 in VA..Thomas fought in The Battle of Guilford Court (in Greensboro) House on March 11, 1781. His son Drury Smith was born 1746 in VA.. The family owned over 12,000 acres of land in lower part of VA (2 counties) and upper part of NC (2 counties) Drury owned over 1000 slaves. And I don't want to hear any whining or crap from anyone about the slave part.. it was in the past and I wasn't there! Being from the South my families owned lots of slaves.

There are more but not as interesting and these two lines.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
And I don't want to hear any whining or crap from anyone about the slave part.. it was in the past and I wasn't there! Being from the South my families owned lots of slaves.
Yes, when I was reading the information that my grandmother provided, I was astounded to even find out that I had ancestors in the South, let alone that they had plantations. One ancestor came directly from Galway to Tennessee, then settled in Alabama. Of course I now realize that many Scots-Irish did settle in the South. I just didn't know that this was a part of my own heritage.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
BTW
For privacy's sake, I don't want to post my first ancestor's name.
But when I have googled his name coupled with the town to which he immigrated, he shows up all over the place. Some of the information I find matches what is in my old book, and some of it doesn't.
BWP.. I'm glad you brought this subject up. We have to remember that we are on the internet. So should be careful about what we post, especially family names.. Sadly, you can't be too careful these days.
If you have info or can help another person, Direct Messaging is the way to go...that way you can maintain your privacy and still get info on your search

Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I have been working on my tree and hubby's tree (and several close friends) for about 4 years now. I use Ancestry - because of the HUGE source of records that they have without me leaving my home .

I love genealogy, but sometimes I get overwhelmed and have to walk away. I actually picked it up Friday night and worked on it for about an hour - always gratifying!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes, when I was reading the information that my grandmother provided, I was astounded to even find out that I had ancestors in the South, let alone that they had plantations. One ancestor came directly from Galway to Tennessee, then settled in Alabama. Of course I now realize that many Scots-Irish did settle in the South. I just didn't know that this was a part of my own heritage.

You never know what you will find in your family history. I have found that just about everyone of my lines owned slaves and they also fought in Wars.. from Revolutionary to the World War II.. And of course the Viking era.
My McCandless line is Irish.. I am told my Smith line is too but haven't found any proof of that yet. Also in my lines...French, English, Native American, German, Norwegian a mix of meanness as my husband says..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy