Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
The son of Light Horse Harry was Robert E. Lee, which is part of my mom's side' family legends, Highest Ranking General in the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, that would mean his two sons who also fought would be relatives of mine as well (Confederate too.)..
You might want to verify that through one of the Lee DNA sites. I had that "legend" in my family and it turned out to be that, just a legend. There were literally boaltoads of Lees in VA who emigrated from Britain who were not related to R.E. Lee or Light Horse Harry. Many descendents of these other Lees claim relationships with the famous ones that don't exist. You can see a list of some of them here:

http://www.leedna.com/dnaresults.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM

438 posts, read 1,351,650 times
Grandparents:
My dad's Father Boer War, South Africa
WWI - Aden, Abyssinia
WW II - Spitfire Pilot, Battle of Britain

My dad: WW II Royal Navy-Artillery
Malaya
South African Defense Force
Combined Ops, Rhodesia

Dad's Brother: Desert Rats, Libya & Alexandria

My Brother: Engineers, Rhodesia 1969-1978

Self: Rhodesian Special Branch: Field Intelligence Gathering Combat Unit, Rhodesia <1978

Son-in-Law: 2x18 month stints in Iraq with US Army.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
WW11.....Canadian Navy,Uncle,Canadian Army, Cousin, Canadian Reserve Army, yours truely

Korea......Canadian Navy, Cousin

Korea......US Army, yours truely

Viet Nam..US Navy, step son

(thats all folks)

Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You might want to verify that through one of the Lee DNA sites. I had that "legend" in my family and it turned out to be that, just a legend. There were literally boaltoads of Lees in VA who emigrated from Britain who were not related to R.E. Lee or Light Horse Harry. Many descendents of these other Lees claim relationships with the famous ones that don't exist. You can see a list of some of them here:

Lee DNA Surname Project - Y-DNA Results
My cousins are trying to get info from the Lee side of my grandma's family on this.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:49 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,436 times
Uncle was a rifleman in Korea.
I kept my father out of Vietnam.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
JUST discovered a 6th great grandfather of mine who served in the Revolutionary War! I'm still trying to check this but apparently he also served as George Washington's barber!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM

66 posts, read 141,127 times
I've been trying to look more into my father's side. I've been running into trouble here. But on my mother's side I know this:
distant cousin died in Vietnam
distant uncle died in Civil War (confederacy)

I'm still trying to figure out how they served in the Civil War then much later in Vietnam, but somehow managed to evade two World Wars. (On that side of the family)

And trying to figure out what wars, if any, my father's ancestors were in.

@PA2UK, whoa, that would be crazy-awesome if true! xD Let us know what you find out!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Well, this website: Joseph Lindesmith sources that info from a book "History of Steele County" but I've been unable to find the book online. The website owner seems to have done their research well though so I'm assuming it's true.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 PM

97 posts, read 348,844 times
Civil War - My Great Great Great Great [Many Greats..] Uncle was General William T. Sherman
World War II - Many of my relatives. My Great Grandpa fought in the Battle of the Bulge and won a few medals..
Vietnam - My Grandpa fought in it. :]
Iraq War (Guess that's what it's called??) - My cousin is home right now from Afghanistan.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
All of them besides the current war.

My mom's side has been here since colonial times. Revolutionary, 1812, Civil War, Indian and Spanish war....then both sides were in WWI and WWI. Mom's side in Korea. Dad's side in Vietnam. Dad's side in First Gulf War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy