Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM

34 posts, read 106,584 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to prepare myself for what is bound to happen. I think there is a part of me that is getting some anxiety about moving. Thankfully my excitement is bigger than the anxiety at this point. I was told it takes a full 2 years to feel like a new city/state is home. Is that true??? Should I not go home to visit family for 2 years then? (I would have them come see me at least if that's the case) If not 2 years, then how long should I wait before visiting home so as not to make things worse? Has anyone had a serious case of homesickness? What did you do? How close were you to going back home? Is there any way to avoid getting homesick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times
I think the time it takes to feel at home is really very personal. I have moved and never felt at home in one area, and felt completely at home within weeks in another.

My suggestions would be to distract yourself when you really start to feel homesick. Surf the net, read, watch tv, go to the movies, etc. It may also help to visit the same coffee shop, or grocery store, frequently so that you feel it is familiar. Taking the same route to and from somewhere also breeds familiarity with an area. I wouldn't get out and really explore until you are comfortable with your surroundings. Once you feel aquainted with your area then go on line and look for cool places to visit on the weekends, (museums, restaurants, movies, etc.)

Also, get to know your neighbors. If you don't have neighbors get to know your local merchants. Introduce yourself and learn their names so that when you go in there it feels familiar. Finding message boards like this and people in your same situation helps too. By all means do not wallow in your homesickness, it only makes it worse. Time is your friend.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
We are in the middle of our fifth major move. For me, moving is an Adventure! I love discovering the area and finding my way around. As long as I have a phone, I can talk to loved ones back home. I don't think there is any rule as far as how long to wait before going back home to visit. Holidays are especially nice for visiting family. For me, it usually takes 2 years to feel really comfortable and at home in my new city and after 3 years, I have a strong network of friends and would hate to leave. My hardest move was my first major move away from family. (I don't count going off to college as a major move).

Keep feeling the excitement and embrace your new home! Meet the neighbors and get involved in the community. Best wishes to you!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa.Beautiful View Post
Has anyone had a serious case of homesickness? What did you do? How close were you to going back home? Is there any way to avoid getting homesick?
When I moved away from home for the first time I was incredibly homesick and miserable. What helped me was a subscription to my hometown and local community newspapers. I felt like I was "in touch" with what was happening and therefore not so lonesome.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
You may not get homesick at all! There were times that I missed family but a quick phone call usually helped that. Do what you need to make yourself get through the transition.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Creek Hallow: That is a GREAT idea! Having a subscription to those papers will allow me to get a good look of what's going on around me at a glance.

oc2nyc: Your post makes alot of sense. I think I thought I would get somewhere and have to get to know the WHOLE city at once but getting to know my surroundings and the people in it first and then branching out from there seems more doable and not so overwhelming.

Kandy: Yeah, I'm thinking of it as an adventure too. I'm not sure why I'm feeling so anxious all of a sudden.

Captain: I hope not! lol I think my phone and blue tooth will be my best friends at first though! lol

Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM

138 posts, read 511,816 times
I have moved a lot, but have only been about an hour from home...recently I moved from IL to CT, its been an adjustment...I still feel like I don't fit in sometimes, and i still compare things I miss about "home" and yes sometimes I cry...but its OK...and I realized that you can make home anywhere, I have to say visiting back home makes me feel so much better, you realize its still there and it will never go away and you can always go back. When I get home sick, I think about what I miss, call and old friend and then do or eat something that I discovered only here at the new place and think about the opportunity I have been given. Its a struggle but you can get through it.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut24 View Post
I have moved a lot, but have only been about an hour from home...recently I moved from IL to CT, its been an adjustment...I still feel like I don't fit in sometimes, and i still compare things I miss about "home" and yes sometimes I cry...but its OK...and I realized that you can make home anywhere, I have to say visiting back home makes me feel so much better, you realize its still there and it will never go away and you can always go back. When I get home sick, I think about what I miss, call and old friend and then do or eat something that I discovered only here at the new place and think about the opportunity I have been given. Its a struggle but you can get through it.
Peanut thanks for being so open and honest. Maybe some of the suggestions people have posted for me will help you as well. I know the move will be good for me, so it will be something I have to get through.
Thanks again for sharing.

-Winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues