Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 PM

8 posts, read 12,652 times

Advertisements

We are driving from Chicago to Glendale CA. Which would be cheaper in the long run? A 16-17' truck with a car carrier where the car sits on top (Scion xA's can't be towed) or one of us each in a vehicle? I have a 20% off time and mileage coupon for Budget (not sure which company we'll be using). FYI I don't think we'll be renting a truck that uses diesel. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM

78 posts, read 353,780 times
Well, get a diesel truck, they are much more efficient fuel economy wise, even though diesel is slightly more expensive than gas. The modern trucks are really no different than the gassers to drive. You likely will not be able to find a gasser that will be powerful enough to haul your stuff and your vehicle on that long of a haul, and many companies will give you a diesel anyhow for that type of trip. Diesel is alot better in the mountains as well. It will likely be cheaper to drive the scion, also easier for the person driving the truck (depending on their experience). Trailer rental for it will be more than the gas to drive it there, unless you can strike a deal.

Also, it may be worth it to evaluate the value of the stuff you are moving, sometimes it is cheaper to just buy new than to rent a truck, but that depends on your stuff, lol.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 PM

191 posts, read 693,196 times
My situation is not the same as yours exactly but I have dealt with transporting vehicles from MN to SC. Having a shipping company deal with it cost $500-600. Renting a trailer to tow it cost about $250 plus ~$270 in gas. Driving it down myself probably cost $120. This trip was 1200-1300 miles. I think you would be best driving it especially with a little scion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues