Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times

Advertisements

Having $4500 and a reliable vehical puts you in a much better position than many of us that had to relocate on a wing and a prayer. It all depends on how willing you are to make it work. You have to get the most out of your $4500. I have had to do this twice in my life. That means what you can fit in your car is what you get to take with you. Everything else you sell, give away, or leave sitting on the curb next to the dumpster. If you rent a storage unit chances are between the unit rent and the cost of shipping everything at a later date you will spend more than what everything is worth.

Once you get to Houston the first thing you need to do is find somewhere to live. Since you do not have a job and a chunk of the $4500 was spent just getting there you might want to consider looking for someone that is looking for a roommate. If you go this route I would recommend looking for someone that owns a house. By finding someone that owns, or is buying, a house you will not be on the hook for everything should your roommate get behind on the bills.

Next you need to get some kind of income. Unless you have a bunch of debt you can survive on less than $1000 a month. It could be some time before you find a job in your career field. I would suggest getting a night job as soon as possible. By working nights you can look for your career job during the day. Most likely it will be a lousy job paying minimum wage. You might have to string a couple jobs together to get 40 hours a week. There are a lot of people that disagree with me on this. However, the way I see it you do what you have to do to survive.

One last word regarding finding a job to survive on. A lot of people on another forum have said they can not find even a part time minimum wage job. While it can be a real challange, if you lower your standards low enough you can find work. I know because I have had to do it twice in my life. The first time I was out of work for 2 years before I lowered my standards to the point that ANY job would do. Once I did that it took me less than one day to find a job. The second time I was out of work I gave myself 1 month to find a decent job. When that did not happen I once again lowered my standards to the point that ANY job would do. Once again it only took 1 day to get hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Having $4500 and a reliable vehical puts you in a much better position than many of us that had to relocate on a wing and a prayer. It all depends on how willing you are to make it work. You have to get the most out of your $4500. I have had to do this twice in my life. That means what you can fit in your car is what you get to take with you. Everything else you sell, give away, or leave sitting on the curb next to the dumpster. If you rent a storage unit chances are between the unit rent and the cost of shipping everything at a later date you will spend more than what everything is worth.

Once you get to Houston the first thing you need to do is find somewhere to live. Since you do not have a job and a chunk of the $4500 was spent just getting there you might want to consider looking for someone that is looking for a roommate. If you go this route I would recommend looking for someone that owns a house. By finding someone that owns, or is buying, a house you will not be on the hook for everything should your roommate get behind on the bills.

Next you need to get some kind of income. Unless you have a bunch of debt you can survive on less than $1000 a month. It could be some time before you find a job in your career field. I would suggest getting a night job as soon as possible. By working nights you can look for your career job during the day. Most likely it will be a lousy job paying minimum wage. You might have to string a couple jobs together to get 40 hours a week. There are a lot of people that disagree with me on this. However, the way I see it you do what you have to do to survive.

One last word regarding finding a job to survive on. A lot of people on another forum have said they can not find even a part time minimum wage job. While it can be a real challange, if you lower your standards low enough you can find work. I know because I have had to do it twice in my life. The first time I was out of work for 2 years before I lowered my standards to the point that ANY job would do. Once I did that it took me less than one day to find a job. The second time I was out of work I gave myself 1 month to find a decent job. When that did not happen I once again lowered my standards to the point that ANY job would do. Once again it only took 1 day to get hired.

Thankyou very much

Old 01-13-2011, 12:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
If you must choose Houston I agree with the poster who said to start applying for jobs now. Yes! Do it! And tell them you're moving there. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues