Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Jeez, I'd hire a mover. I bet the cost will be comparable and you won't have to do anything but back. We moved a 3BR 2 BA house (with finished basement) and there are 5 of us, for $3000 last summer. I can't imagine a mover would charge you much more than $1200 for what you have and you save yourself a ton of aggravation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
Seems like that big moving box they leave in the driveway, some companies will move them for you, so check on the pricing. There is no way I'd move cross-country with any kinda U-Haul.

With that said, you COULD give the tables your folks gave you back to them for safe keeping or to a close relative, and you can take the money you'd get for your sofa to buying a new one when you get where you're going, so your parents will not have wasted the effort that went into getting it for you. What I'm getting at is, I wouldn't take ANYthing that I couldn't fit in my car. It can get pretty rugged going West.

Now, I'm not sure when you're going, but if you've already accepted the invite to the grad school, what I say now won't matter. But if you're still not committed to going out West for grad school, might I suggest if you stay in your state, it will be cheaper, and if you stay on the East Coast side of the Appalachian Mts, then you can move your stuff any way you want and probably be okay. There are so many good schools over this way, with every possible grad school subject, I just wish you would reconsider your move to the hinterlands.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 AM

99 posts, read 267,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Seems like that big moving box they leave in the driveway, some companies will move them for you, so check on the pricing. There is no way I'd move cross-country with any kinda U-Haul.

With that said, you COULD give the tables your folks gave you back to them for safe keeping or to a close relative, and you can take the money you'd get for your sofa to buying a new one when you get where you're going, so your parents will not have wasted the effort that went into getting it for you. What I'm getting at is, I wouldn't take ANYthing that I couldn't fit in my car. It can get pretty rugged going West.

Now, I'm not sure when you're going, but if you've already accepted the invite to the grad school, what I say now won't matter. But if you're still not committed to going out West for grad school, might I suggest if you stay in your state, it will be cheaper, and if you stay on the East Coast side of the Appalachian Mts, then you can move your stuff any way you want and probably be okay. There are so many good schools over this way, with every possible grad school subject, I just wish you would reconsider your move to the hinterlands.
For moving out West, I've definitely come to the conclusion that I will be selling a lot of stuff and packing everything else in the car or in relo-cubes.

The closest schools to NC that I was accepted to was Florida State and Auburn. I am strongly considering FSU, but I'm still thinking I'd like to experience living somewhere besides the South for a change. I was also accepted to University of Missouri, but it's not my top choice currently. I'd easily take a Penske truck to all three of these states.

My move would take place in the spring, so I have some time to think it over. The cost of tuition is irrelevant to me because I am receiving a tuition waiver and assistantship in return for teaching some undergraduate courses.

University of Utah offered me essentially the same package as FSU, so those two schools are on the top of my list. I've got a lot of thinking to do in the next few months... It would obviously be easier to move to Florida, but I'd probably enjoy SLC over Tallahassee.

One last concern is my parents and family. They obviously don't want me to move far away, but support my decision regardless. If I wanted to pay them a visit, I could drive up from Florida, even though it would be putting a lot of miles on my car. I'd definitely have to fly home from Utah, and I'm sure the plane ticket would be at least $400 from SLC to RDU. I could probably drive up three times a year from FL, but I'd probably only be able to fly to NC once a year from Utah. Also, my grandparents are getting old and it would be nice to stay closer to them.

Decisions... decisions...

Last edited by mattawest; 09-07-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
For moving out West, I've definitely come to the conclusion that I will be selling a lot of stuff and packing everything else in the car or in relo-cubes.

The closest schools to NC that I was accepted to was Florida State and Auburn. I am strongly considering FSU, but I'm still thinking I'd like to experience living somewhere besides the South for a change. I was also accepted to University of Missouri, but it's not my top choice currently. I'd easily take a Penske truck to all three of these states.

My move would take place in the spring, so I have some time to think it over. The cost of tuition is irrelevant to me because I am receiving a tuition waiver and assistantship in return for teaching some undergraduate courses.

University of Utah offered me essentially the same package as FSU, so those two schools are on the top of my list. I've got a lot of thinking to do in the next few months... It would obviously be easier to move to Florida, but I'd probably enjoy SLC over Tallahassee.

One last concern is my parents and family. They obviously don't want me to move far away, but support my decision regardless. If I wanted to pay them a visit, I could drive up from Florida, even though it would be putting a lot of miles on my car. I'd definitely have to fly home from Utah, and I'm sure the plane ticket would be at least $400 from SLC to RDU. I could probably drive up three times a year from FL, but I'd probably only be able to fly to NC once a year from Utah. Also, my grandparents are getting old and it would be nice to stay closer to them.

Decisions... decisions...
If you do end up at FSU, keep in mind, you can get really cheap flights to NC on allegiantair.com. Sometimes $19.99 each way. Be sure to check on Wednesdays when they update the prices.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 657 times
You may also want to check out Movingplace and Movex. They do the same thing as Upack. I had good results with Movex a couple of years ago.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
According to their site, Movex ceased operations in 2011. Movex - Self Service Moving Truck Rental Alternative

Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,433 times
This is my experience. I am moving from Phoenix, AZ to Chicago, IL for graduate school. I currently reside in a 2 bed/2 bath apartment, approx 1,000 square feet. My girlfriend, and our 2 cats are also coming along.

We actually sold our small sedan for a larger SUV and profited decently on the sale. We did this because roof racks for our sedan were impossible to find and the "generic" ones did not fit.

We looked into all sorts of cube systems. But something I found out was: in Chicago, door delivery is not allowed. Therefore, we would have had to hire movers for an additional cost. Also, high end electronics are not advised to be put into those cubes. Our neighbor here works for FedEx, and she said it wasn't worth to ship the TV because there is no guarantee it won't break in shipment and to get a create alone for it is $250.

Depite some of our furniture being new, Pottery Barn or La-Z Boy, we opted to sell everything. It's easiest for us. We also almost considered getting a trailer, but alas, that isn't worth it for us either as our bed may not even fit in it without purchased the biggest one possible.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
Smart man! You'll do just fine in both grad school and life. She be wise to marry you now!

The rising cost of fuel and insurance make the cost per hundredweight to move more expensive than most of the stuff is worth. That's why experienced expats only plan on taking a few boxes of personal effects.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:07 PM

45 posts, read 104,923 times
Sell as much as possible, store the rest with your parents. Take what will fit in your car. Furniture can be easily replaced quite cheaply via craigslist, thrift stores,yard sales, etc. This will also make it easier to make your move into a bit of a sight seeing trip. Stop to see things of interest on the way if possible. You will create memories that will last far longer than your possessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues