Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 AM

99 posts, read 267,909 times

Advertisements

Moving costs are an important aspect in picking a graduate school...

What's the best way to move a 1br apartment from the East Coast to Utah, Nevada, or Arizona? I've got a sofa, bed, kitchen table w/ chairs, living room tables, W&D, etc. When I moved in state a few years ago, I rented a 16' Penske truck with little room left.

Driving a moving truck that far will probably be difficult, so I considered the U-Pack relo-cubes. Although they are a lot smaller than PODS, they are cheaper. I was quoted at about $1200 for using PODS from NC to TN! I do have a car, so if I decide to move out that way, I will be driving with my fiance and two cats. It would be nice to have the relo-cubes instead of a truck.

I'm thinking I might be okay with two cubes. With two cubes, it puts the price right under the cost of a moving truck. With three cubes, it's cheaper to get the moving truck. Although I'm losing about 5 feet length compared to the penske truck, I will be gaining height and will consider selling my kitchen table and computer desk to save space.

What's the best way to move things in a 1br apartment long distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:25 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
I did fine with the cubes. For some of the stuff you listed, it might be worth it to consider how much it's worth and weigh the cost of selling it and buying a replacement in your new location. The washer/dryer would be very heavy, hard to move, take up almost an entire cube and potentially sustain damage along the way. Some of my cheaper furniture didn't respond very well to being bumped around on the road.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Good point. I could probably pick up a nice washer and dryer set on craigslist. My current set is pretty old. I think I paid about $200 for both. My sofa is brand new, so I won't be selling that. Same goes with the solid wood living room furniture.

The cubes are definitely the best option for NV, but I might be able to swing a moving truck to Utah since it's about a day closer.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
Good point. I could probably pick up a nice washer and dryer set on craigslist. My current set is pretty old. I think I paid about $200 for both. My sofa is brand new, so I won't be selling that. Same goes with the solid wood living room furniture.

The cubes are definitely the best option for NV, but I might be able to swing a moving truck to Utah since it's about a day closer.
Are you attached to the furniture? (I know it's newer and good quality) If not, I'd sell it on Craigslist and when you get to your destination buy furniture on Craigslist. You can get really nice furniture on Craigslist and then you don't have to spend a ton of money transporting it. If you calculate it, it makes sense IMHO.

Good luck with your move!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Are you attached to the furniture? (I know it's newer and good quality) If not, I'd sell it on Craigslist and when you get to your destination buy furniture on Craigslist. You can get really nice furniture on Craigslist and then you don't have to spend a ton of money transporting it. If you calculate it, it makes sense IMHO.

Good luck with your move!
The sofa was purchased new by my parents for me, so I'd like to keep that. I'd probably be standing it up on its side in the relo-cube. However, the coffee table and matching pair of tables were my parents old set and although they are solid wood, they can be sold. In fact, my current apartment barely has enough room for them since they are rather large. The computer desk is in the process of collapsing, so it can be thrown out.

I wonder if I could fit a sofa, queen bed, bookshelf, bedside table, kitchen things, and a bunch of boxes in two relo-cubes? I could probably get $150-200 for the W&D set, maybe $200 for the coffee table set, and maybe $100 for the kitchen table w/4 chairs. I could pick up the same items in a new location for the same price.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
Moving is expensive! I suggest you contact at least three reputable full service movers in your area and ask each to provide you with an in-home estimate.

This will give you some idea of the cubic dimensions and comparative costs of moving everything you currently have in your home now both as a full service and DIY option.

All of the furniture that you listed will easily fit into two small mobile/portable containers. It appears, however, that other than mentioning a 'bunch' of boxes, you didn't list everything in your home. For instance, there is no mention of clothes, computers, toiletries, office equipment, pictures, paintings, bedding, small kitchen appliances, ironing board etc, etc, etc. Is this five boxes, 10 boxes or 30 boxes? What size are the boxes and bookshelves?

Since you apparently don't yet know where you'll be moving to, you don't know whether or not the container company even services the location you eventually settle. Some localities won't even allow them to drop at container in front of new residence.

When moving, the best way to pack is to purge.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
You may want to consider a UPack trailer. They charge by the foot so once you are past the minimum, you only pay for as many linear feet as you use and it stacks pretty high. Not sure how the price compares to cubes, but it beat a UHaul truck from MN to NC by a decent amount.

I too would encourage you to get rid of anything that you can replace for a reasonable amount once you get there. Shipping is not easy on furniture, though we put our leather sofa and chair on top of stacks of boxes of books, clothes and kitchen items and they came through the move in great shape.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:05 PM

I can't remember the exact amount, but I think I had about 15-20 liquor store size boxes. The computer, TV, and clothes all fit in the car. Toiletries all fit in one box. I bought a cheap microwave and toaster oven after moving here, so I will probably do the same whenever I move.

The UPack trailer sounds like a good idea. Do they drop it off like the relo cubes and allow you a few days to load it up? How long does it take them to deliver the trailer to the new location?

I've already started donating old clothes and books. Throwing out anything that's been in the kitchen over a few months.

I hate moving!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 02:29 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
Under most municipal codes, an unattended trailer is no different than an unattended container. You're still going to have to find out if they're allowed where ever it is you decide to move to.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
I can't remember the exact amount, but I think I had about 15-20 liquor store size boxes. The computer, TV, and clothes all fit in the car. Toiletries all fit in one box. I bought a cheap microwave and toaster oven after moving here, so I will probably do the same whenever I move.

The UPack trailer sounds like a good idea. Do they drop it off like the relo cubes and allow you a few days to load it up? How long does it take them to deliver the trailer to the new location?

I've already started donating old clothes and books. Throwing out anything that's been in the kitchen over a few months.

I hate moving!!!
They leave the trailer for several days on both ends. Sometimes you have to get a permit to have it in the street, but as it is only 28 feet long, it fit in our driveway easily both times so no problems there. Also, they picked it up within hours of my calling to tell them it was good to go.

Once you load your stuff up, you lock in a plywood bulkhead and no one touches your stuff until it is unloaded. Though they do ship pallets of other things in the empty back part of the trailer.

They tell you how long it will take. I think it was 6 or 7 days from MN to NC.

As to the liquor boxes, I would strongly recommend you get moving boxes from UHaul or UPack. They don't cost much and it is so much easier to securely stack boxes that are the same size. Be sure and pack boxes and stuff in tight as they are bounced around a bit during the move.

Someone wrote that packing is purging. It's a good time to pare down your possessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues