Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 AM

7 posts, read 18,797 times

Advertisements

Hey guys im in a little dilemma right now and as the title says it im considering on moving to L.A. from Denver i was all for it at first but now that i realize things im deciding on if this is still a good idea or not so im posting this to get some feed back and maybe some advice from people who actually moved to L.A.

Now a little bit about myself, Im 19 and I am currently working and haven't started college yet. I chose not to start college yet because i was really serious on moving to L.A around the San Gabriel area and start at a city college there. My main reason for that is i basically want a change, start new and experience something different.

Now that i did some more research on this im not really sure if i can survive there now because of the extremely high un-employment rates and high cost of living. If i decided to move i would have to rent and i would have no job at that moment until i find one. I do have some people i know there, mainly they are my parents friends so they might be able to help out a little on the situation of living maybe stay at their place for a week or two until i find a job, place to rent, and start classes.

But even with that i believe it would be impossible to survive there on a part-time job paying rent and for school. So i though to myself if i should just hold back on moving for a while until i can get things straight, start college here in Denver first.

Any advice would be great, if i should remain in colorado or take the risk and move to california. Im really stuck in between decisions right now so if i could get some feed back from some of you would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 AM

129 posts, read 316,825 times
Read my post from a few days ago to see what we're going through here in LA. We're a couple in our 30s with a baby and we can't even make it work here right now. The unemployment rate is ridiculous and there is no affordable housing in safe areas. We've been searching for several months for an apartment we can afford and there is nothing - if there is, you're fighting with probably 100s of other people to get it because EVERYONE needs cheap housing these days. We had it made here from 2005-2008, but then everything fell apart with the economy. As much as I love it here, I would definitely recommend not moving here until the economy improves. I'd say that you should finish college in Denver and then move here - by that time things will hopefully be better. I know we're waiting on pins and needles for things to improve so we don't have to struggle anymore.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhh25 View Post
Hey guys im in a little dilemma right now and as the title says it im considering on moving to L.A. from Denver i was all for it at first but now that i realize things im deciding on if this is still a good idea or not so im posting this to get some feed back and maybe some advice from people who actually moved to L.A.

Now a little bit about myself, Im 19 and I am currently working and haven't started college yet. I chose not to start college yet because i was really serious on moving to L.A around the San Gabriel area and start at a city college there. My main reason for that is i basically want a change, start new and experience something different.

Now that i did some more research on this im not really sure if i can survive there now because of the extremely high un-employment rates and high cost of living. If i decided to move i would have to rent and i would have no job at that moment until i find one. I do have some people i know there, mainly they are my parents friends so they might be able to help out a little on the situation of living maybe stay at their place for a week or two until i find a job, place to rent, and start classes.

But even with that i believe it would be impossible to survive there on a part-time job paying rent and for school. So i though to myself if i should just hold back on moving for a while until i can get things straight, start college here in Denver first.

Any advice would be great, if i should remain in colorado or take the risk and move to california. Im really stuck in between decisions right now so if i could get some feed back from some of you would be appreciated.

Thanks
I would advise you not to move without a job. It's not impossible to get a job from scratch but considering the economy the way it is and the fact that California has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, I'd stay put.

You could look into getting a job through a company with whom you could transfer. A lot of retail jobs can transfer (but you're still responsible for the cost of moving and all) and that's my relocation plan, but where I want to go doesn't have a sky-high cost-of-living. If you were to do that, you would probably need to get on the ball right away about finding a better job and you'd have something to at least help pay the bills until you do.

Otherwise all you can do is look for work in your general area of interest, use an L.A. P.O. box, be honest about employers about where you live and how much you are willing to relocate. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 AM

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

As some additional info I did save up just for this and i also have the money from the car i sold.
All in all I have near 9k, But i also will need to purchase a car with that money too if i do make the move.

Also as for rent, most likely one of my parents friends who resides in the rosemead area could help me find a room to rent with someone he knows, but that is not guaranteed.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 AM

I need some more replies please! This is one hard decision for me to make, Also how is temple city like? Is it like the rest of L.A? I have been there 5 years ago so I'm not sure if its still what i remember it to be.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
You may want to post in the LA forum to get specific answers about the area.

I will add that you should check out the residency requirements for in-state tuition at the college you are looking at in Cali, you may have to wait a year to establish residency.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Honestly, if someone has a room for you to rent there is no reason not to at least try it. What you need to do is find a a job ASAP, it won't be much of a job but who knows, you might get lucky. You can live there for 1 year to establish residency and build up some savings. Then, with any luck, you can start taking a few classes. Of course anywhere along the line things could blow up on you so make sure you can go back to wherever you are now. That's key.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I live in CA in a suburb near LA. I am from up north and have lived in other states. CA is very expensive where people rent out rooms that may cost the same as an apartment in some states. The cost for food,car issues etc is also more.
Though 9000 may seem like a lot it will go quick without a job. I agree that you should look into schools and see what the cost is. Don't forget other costs like books, insurance,tags,so on. What type of job would you look at getting? I know when I was young I waited tables though not in CA but it allows flexibility with school plus the tips were good.
I think you need to look more long term and what will give you the best opportunity. If you stayed in Denver could you live at home or would schooling be less expensive? This may be a better option for now with a goal when you graduate to move.
What do your parents think?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:31 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhh25 View Post
I need some more replies please! This is one hard decision for me to make, Also how is temple city like? Is it like the rest of L.A? I have been there 5 years ago so I'm not sure if its still what i remember it to be.

It is an easy decision if you are thinking of going to LA for college. Don't! California is going bankrupt. The community colleges and state colleges are getting slammed with massive budget cuts every semester. Students can't get the essential classes they need to graduate. Unless you have a definite plan to go to Cal Tech,USC or UCLA,I recommend staying out of LA for college.

California community colleges: California community colleges to slash enrollment, classes - Los Angeles Times

Enrollment Options Dwindle At Overcrowded Community Colleges « CBS Los Angeles

Calif. College Students Brace For State Budget Cuts « CBS Los Angeles

State fiscal nightmare: deep cuts on horizon - SFGate (http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-11-17/news/30413296_1_spending-cuts-ana-matosantos-automatic-cuts - broken link)

"It's estimated some 140,000 Community College students in California were turned away because classes were full this past fall mainly due to state budget cuts. "

Big Changes Could Soon Be Coming to Community Colleges in CA - Central Coast News KION/KCBA

Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Please stay in Denver....Los Angeles will eat you up alive, my friend. It's expensive, very materialistic, state is broke, taxes are high, tuitions are going up, jobs are hard to come by, and LA is a ghetto, city colleges are ghettos. Unless you are a handsome, out of work actor or model, you won't get a job in a restaurant or bar. You'll just be another 19 year old coming out here looking for a "change" like thousands of other 19 year olds. Oh, you'll find "change" all right, just not the kind you wanted. I would recommend finishing school in Denver first, take care of getting your education while you are young, that should be your #1 priority, get a few years behind you in experience and maturity and then see what happens. California will still be here (maybe). Sorry for the "tough love" but I've heard this same story way too many times and you sound like a good kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues