Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I have lived in 5 states and I can say hands down people in FL are the rudest. Now most of the rudeness comes from the northern transplants, but it really doesn't matter what their birth certificate says when you're impacted by it.

What I notice the most is the "me first" attitude.

Just a typical example as I was getting gas tonight, another car pulls up and they go into the store. But they're not getting gas.

But they parked their car and blocked two sets of pumps. This happens all the time, he could have parked 50 ft away in a parking space, but hey why be considerate of others, it's all about ME. It never occurs to them "hey people need to pull in here to get gas, and I'm blocking two sets of pumps"....It's all about me.

He just parked his car where he shouldn't have and two sets of gas pumps are now blocked. I see stuff like this all the time. No one else matters.

I have never seen such a lack of basic common courtesy for others as there is in FL. It takes its toll on you after awhile.

And driving is downright scary.
In some areas of the country the guy would come out to find nails in his tires or the side of the car keyed. They learn, pretty fast, to be considerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertrepuR View Post
Yeah, not really surprised about Miami getting the #2 spot, however I do disagree with New York City being #1.

Sure, not everyone is going to smile and wave at you when you see them on the streets, but if you actually talk to some random person they're generally nice. In Miami-Fort Lauderdale it's completely different. If I stop to ask a stranger for directions most of the time I've been either ignored or been told the directions in a rude tone of voice, like I'm bothering them where as in New York I've always been helped if I needed directions without bad attitudes.
So do I...

Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
My friend used to live in Florida. I used to visit him frequently. He moved back to Connecticut.

He said it is a state where many people believe they are "following the yellow brick road." People move there thinking they are going to start a new life, that all their problems are going to disappear and they are going to be so much better off. He noticed a lot of the younger people were transients and would quickly move into relationships and then just disappear in the middle of the night.

It is tough because since so many people have no roots in the area when things get tough they bail or get into trouble.

No place is perfect. I like Florida very much from late October until March. I couldn't live there the other months of the year. I find the summer heat and humidity is worse than the cold and snow of winter so if I had to live in one place it wouldn't be there.
This is true somewhat. However a person would have to be pretty naive or ignorant after age 25 to think they are ever moving to a haven, anywhere. Everyplace has issues.

FWIW yes, some in S. florida are rude, but its not just "northern transplants". In NE tennessee I have met some of the rudest people ever, men who dont hold open the door, and let it slam in your face....

frankly FL is great if you are already happy in a relationship, bcs you will get new sets of neighbors every year.

Every state is different. that said just because someone isnt happy in Florida, do not consider Tennessee until you visit.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
This is true somewhat. However a person would have to be pretty naive or ignorant after age 25 to think they are ever moving to a haven, anywhere. Everyplace has issues.

FWIW yes, some in S. florida are rude, but its not just "northern transplants". In NE tennessee I have met some of the rudest people ever, men who dont hold open the door, and let it slam in your face....

frankly FL is great if you are already happy in a relationship, bcs you will get new sets of neighbors every year.

Every state is different. that said just because someone isnt happy in Florida, do not consider Tennessee until you visit.
Just curious, and this may be the case, but the women DO hold the door and the men do not?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM

If someone is an inch behind me at the grocery store, I hold the door.....its called common courtesy.

I havent seen such a thing as "male southern chivalry" in this region, is all i am pointing out.

That said it doesnt matter as I am happily relocating soon.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
If someone is an inch behind me at the grocery store, I hold the door.....its called common courtesy.

I havent seen such a thing as "male southern chivalry" in this region, is all i am pointing out.

That said it doesnt matter as I am happily relocating soon.
Ok. I have always been taught that both sexes should be polite in this way, not just men. I am guessing that you were, too.

I used to work in New York and men and women were competing with each other and men did not seem especially inclined to open doors for women. Then I got a job in New Jersey and the men in our office did that. For quite a while I thought something was wrong with them. I wasn't used to it. I would generally hold the door for people, though, from habit. I think it's a nice little gesture.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ok. I have always been taught that both sexes should be polite in this way, not just men. I am guessing that you were, too.

I used to work in New York and men and women were competing with each other and men did not seem especially inclined to open doors for women. Then I got a job in New Jersey and the men in our office did that. For quite a while I thought something was wrong with them. I wasn't used to it. I would generally hold the door for people, though, from habit. I think it's a nice little gesture.
exactly...Yes i didnt mean men specifically.

To me its what my mother taught me, to be polite in public to strangers.

People in the region I am now are rude, the mountain/country men walk a foot ahead of their wives, Its beyond rude.....Its the culture I guess will have to start a thread on it on the Other forum since if i write this about Tenn everyone will deny it.

I lived in S florida and also worked in NYC and honestly the rudest people I've seen are in tenn, (natives) they step in front of you at grocery store, talk 100 decibels higher (and "holler" in public at their kids) never hold the door open, never say thank you. i guess they are raised without manners.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 PM

22 posts, read 34,386 times
""I have lived in 5 states and I can say hands down people in FL are the rudest"""
Is it beacuse of the transplants from up north ?
Come try Alabama !

Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

I was taught the same, and I do it for others. If someone is within a few feet behind me, I wait and hold the door for them. Or if someone is coming out the door I am going in, I hold it open and let them go out first.

I've seen quite a few shocked looks (not in a mean way towards me though), whether because I am a woman and it's something they think only a man does/should do; or maybe because of my age/generation.

All I can say about FL is everytime I've been there I've encountered only nice people No one has even been rude. (yes, I realize I am not there 24/7/365, but that is just my 2 cents).

Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I lived there. It was okay. The people are different.
I agree the people are "different" here...When I first visited Florida (Davie, FL) then moved there it was such a culture shock from Brooklyn, NY, I can't even begin to explain. This was during a time before the mass transplants. It was a strange town, with strange people. I didn't stay too long. I had a friend there who was also from B'klyn and she lasted less time than I did, she hightailed it out quickly...I traveled around the US and eventually landed in Orlando (not by choice, but by military status).

Some people would attribute the strangeness or differences to transplants, but I beg to differ on that point since I moved here during times when most of the residences were "native" Floridians. What I discovered back then and still today is a kind of an elitist and snobbish attitude toward newcomers and people who did not "fit" into the "clique" of the day. A lot of insincere sweetness to your face all the while "stabbing" you in the back. I didn't experience this in Brooklyn, you knew who your friends and enemies were, we were pretty upfront with each other.

This attitude is not limited to South or Central Florida, but also in East, West, and North Florida. It is rampant in the workplace, such an atmosphere of dog eat dog and cut throat attitudes (even before the meltdown) and especially because Florida is a "Right to Work" state, which is code for "we can treat you anyway we please".

Anywhoo, I digress, I am one of the people who will be leaving Florida, sooner rather than later.

Just a reminder: Everything I've written is my opinion based on personal experiences and observations in comparison to where I grew up and other places I've lived. No need to go ballistic if you don't agree!

Thanks for looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues