Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times

Advertisements

Ironically my wife and I thought of this last night, but not for spiteful purposes. NZ always struck us as a place where we would love to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,918 times
The only countries I could likely move to are EU ones. I would consider it if it came up.

Ideally, I would like to try Canada or New Zealand. However chances are slim that I'll ever be able to move to either one.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
I think you'll find that in almost every country that is civilized. I am from Germany and we have the exact SAME issue there. And we don't even have "Jersey Shore" there.

"We have a rapidly growing entitlement and arrogance mentality among the general population. Me, me, me. Blame parents, blame "Jersey Shore," blame the "You are special and can make anything of yourself and don't let anyone stop you" doctrine taught in public schools, blame mothers christening their daughters at age two with "Princess!!!!" everything."

And don't forget: Not every country is as immigration friendly as the US, where the illegals even get lower college tuition . They might treat you well if you come as a tourist but they get defensive of their country if you want to settle down there.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think you'll find that in almost every country that is civilized. I am from Germany and we have the exact SAME issue there. And we don't even have "Jersey Shore" there.

"We have a rapidly growing entitlement and arrogance mentality among the general population. Me, me, me. Blame parents, blame "Jersey Shore," blame the "You are special and can make anything of yourself and don't let anyone stop you" doctrine taught in public schools, blame mothers christening their daughters at age two with "Princess!!!!" everything."

And don't forget: Not every country is as immigration friendly as the US, where the illegals even get lower college tuition . They might treat you well if you come as a tourist but they get defensive of their country if you want to settle down there.
If you make into the U.S., legally or illegally, the stops are pulled out for you.

If you try to immigrate legally, it can be a lengthy, micromanagerial, excruciating nightmare, at least as I understand it.

Canada seems to be much more immigration process- and applicant-friendly than the U.S. For the cold alone, however, I don't really want to live up there. Far southwest British Columbia, maybe, but only because its climate is most similar to the coastal Pacific Northwest...which then is not my ideal climate among U.S. climates.

As for Mexico...well, that's one country I have no real desire to live in, even when crime rates are lower. With the exception of Mexico City there, as well as Santiago, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, and perhaps Brasilia, La Paz, and Quito, I have no interest in living in Latin America for an extended length of time. Maybe just a few months. Santiago and Buenos Aires actually look really nice, but Chile and Argentina run the risk of political instability running amock.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
We have a rapidly growing entitlement and arrogance mentality among the general population. Me, me, me. Blame parents, blame "Jersey Shore," blame the "You are special and can make anything of yourself and don't let anyone stop you" doctrine taught in public schools, blame mothers christening their daughters at age two with "Princess!!!!" everything. Whatever the cause(s) is/are, or the complex combinations, you can't deny the outcome. I know that older generations have always had some negativity toward younger generations, but I'm 25 and think that older generations really have a case this time!

Even in the South, where I'm from, manners are going out the door. No, I don't hold the door open for everyone I see. However, I'm talking about just basic smiles, "please," "thank you," "hey, that's nice." Just pleasantries. Common media has played a significant role in killing common courtesy.
Hi, guys, I just thought I would reopen this thread with a new comment.

Even since I made this OP less than five months ago, I have already witnessed a longer going gradual decline in the things mentioned above. People blow their horns at people in the crosswalk, act impatiently on the phone, cut others in line. Oh, and that's just in "laid back" California, and I've heard that Florida and metro New York exponentially worse. I will also say that with few exceptions, nearly every woman I've met in California, be it professionally or personally, has been very high-strung. It's clearly a generational thing, and quite sad, really. I even paid a visit back to the rural South a few weeks ago and noticed that, even just since I moved away last year, people are more impatient and lacking of manners.

Sadly, I don't have a filter, so it's hard for me to blow these things off. It's also hard to not become mercurial after a while. But, even on good/great days, I still casually consider what options lie beyond the U.S.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
This thread reminds me of a story.

Back in the pioneer days, an old farmer was working in his field alongside the road when a wagon containing a whole family pulled up and hailed him.

"Hey, there." said the driver, an older man who was obviously the father of the bunch. "What's the people like around here? We're looking for a place to settle."

"Well, now," said the farmer. "What were they like where you've come from?"

"Oh, they were a terrible lot! Shiftless, lazy, argumentative, untrustworthy. A bunch of crying, whining, no-good bums. We finally got so tired of living around such low-lifes that we decided to move away and, so far, we've gotten to right here."

"Oh, I'm sorry," said the farmer. "But you'll find folks around here just like that. Perhaps you should continue looking."

"Thanks," said the driver. "We'll do just that." And they drove away.

Later in the day, another wagon pulled up and asked the same question. Once again, the old farmer asked how the folks were back where they'd come from.

"They were wonderful people," the driver said. "Kind, helpful, friendly. A harder working and more honest bunch of people you'll ever hope to meet. They had their differences, but they loved each other just the same. We really hated to leave there and hope to find another place with wonderful neighbors just like them."

"Then alight, stranger. You'll find the folks around here just like that."

Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
I briefly contemplated it but I will not do it. I am not interested in learning another language or culture.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Already done it once, would/will do it again. Nothing to do with the US, i just enjoy the experience of living abroad.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
I always dreamed about moving to Australia. It's a modern country with a good economy and lots of natural resources. Unemployment is only 5% and even though percentage wise Australia spends more of it's GNP on social programs, there are few fewer people living below the poverty line then in the United States. I guess part of the reason is it's don't have a HUGE military machine to pay for, a lot of that money used to buy Bombers can be utilized for social programs instead. The national debt stands are 6% of the GNP of the country, compare that to the United States which has a debt of 93% of the GNP. The main reason I would be moving is to abandon a sinking ship, I strongly feel the United States is going down the tubes. With the governments inability to deal the the countries debt, I see only bad things on the horizon for the United States. .

Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 AM

14 posts, read 28,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Hi, guys, I just thought I would reopen this thread with a new comment.

Even since I made this OP less than five months ago, I have already witnessed a longer going gradual decline in the things mentioned above. People blow their horns at people in the crosswalk, act impatiently on the phone, cut others in line. Oh, and that's just in "laid back" California, and I've heard that Florida and metro New York exponentially worse. I will also say that with few exceptions, nearly every woman I've met in California, be it professionally or personally, has been very high-strung. It's clearly a generational thing, and quite sad, really. I even paid a visit back to the rural South a few weeks ago and noticed that, even just since I moved away last year, people are more impatient and lacking of manners.

Sadly, I don't have a filter, so it's hard for me to blow these things off. It's also hard to not become mercurial after a while. But, even on good/great days, I still casually consider what options lie beyond the U.S.
Seems to me you've kinda already made up your mind to at least try it. My perm res is in Knoxville but I've lived in several countries over the years and I am currently writing from Afghanistan [I don't live here - I just work here]. I'll just say that for some people, once this itch gets in you, there's only one way to scratch it - and that would be to try it. You can always move back home if things don't work out quite the way you planned - but I have to be honest and tell you that this kinda thing gets in your blood and it can be habit forming. Ask any expat what I am talking about and they can tell you.

Everything is so global these days. I have one friend that went to work in Bosnia back in the 90s. He met a girl, got married, had some kids, and they still live there now. Another bud of mine did the same thing accept he and his family now live in Poland. Still another bud if mine who has his doctorate from LSU, works globally as a project manager but keeps his wife and kids in Berlin. Still another raised his kids in the states but he now works and lives in Santiago, Chile. I could go on but my guess is you're getting my point. Travel to and from say Dubai or Doha to Atlanta [which I take a lot] is a 15 hour flight. To boot, there are plenty of other expats around the world that continue to live abroad for all sorts of reasons so you would be in relatively good company. English is by and large considered the default language of the globe so that would be one huge advantage in your favor - although learning another language won't hurt.

My only caution would be to lower your expectations on social behavior just a little. This American model of self indulgence you speak of is everywhere - and it has become the global "esperanto" of the wordly individual - especially with young people. It makes them look hip and modern. So everywhere you go, you will see those reflections of life at home - although I will concede that while it is pervasive and ever increasing, it is still not as widespread and "inyourface" as in Euro-centric countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues