Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 AM

14 posts, read 28,804 times

Advertisements

So this would be my advise - go to one of the expat forum discussion sites and start asking around. Most are broken up by country but there are also threads for general discussions. You can ask all sorts of questions and get advise on social norms and customs and from there make decisions on what would be your next best move. Also, if you work in an industry that has an international presence, you should investigate your options there. You could also just save up enough to live somewhere for say 6 months and then just move there to see how you like it. The worst thing to do is - nothing :>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
We have issues such as growing political strife and deepening political rifts (and among the citizenry, also) among the people that actually care about the political process and the social ramifications that come with that.

We have a rapidly growing entitlement and arrogance mentality among the general population. Me, me, me. Blame parents, blame "Jersey Shore," blame the "You are special and can make anything of yourself and don't let anyone stop you" doctrine taught in public schools, blame mothers christening their daughters at age two with "Princess!!!!" everything. Whatever the cause(s) is/are, or the complex combinations, you can't deny the outcome. I know that older generations have always had some negativity toward younger generations, but I'm 25 and think that older generations really have a case this time!

Steadily declining public schools overall. Mine certainly did not prepare me for college. At all. Not even community college.

Two very fast recessions with extremely sluggish recoveries over the last ten years. No Clinton, Bush 43 or Obama bashing here: economic recoveries usually are not the sole function and contributor of a president's job and success. However, they get attributed to them. The "I think I can" train moving up the hill with a 15% slope has an engine that has been on fire from all the tension working against gravity trying to push it downhill, and it's amazing that it hasn't completely imploded. I'm not a doom and gloom sort of guy when it comes to our long-term economic health, but I really am surprised that we haven't had a drastic crash like 1929 or even 1987.

General ignorance and apathy of domestic and international political, economic, social issues. This tells you all you need to know: Place ten average high school Canadians in a classroom, then place ten average high school Americans in a separate classroom. They have no interaction with each other. Now, ask them something basic, i.e.: What are were the thirteen colonies? Or, what are the last names of our eight most recent presidents, including the incumbent? Or, name the capital of each state. You know, I betcha the Canadian kids would do as well as, if not kick the butts of, the American kids.

Even in the South, where I'm from, manners are going out the door. No, I don't hold the door open for everyone I see. However, I'm talking about just basic smiles, "please," "thank you," "hey, that's nice." Just pleasantries. Common media has played a significant role in killing common courtesy.

I'm not sure that other British-originated western nations are necessarily any better off in the long run. If I left the U.S., it would not be in the short term, but rather probably over the next 10-15 years. Some nations I'm considering are Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Fiji, Chile, and New Zealand (the exception to my British statement).

If I even did move, I'm not sure the move would necessarily be permanent. However, mark my words: We currently have 7,000,000 citizens living abroad, the highest number ever. I'm sure hundreds of thousands have even gone so drastically far as to revoke their U.S. citizenships to avoid paying the required dual taxes of their nations of employment as well as the U.S.' dreaded I.R.S. I truly think this is a trend that we will continue to see increase even as the economy gradually improves and over years to come.

I know one's personal happiness ultimately can't and shouldn't be attributed to the perceived and predicted future of their nation, regardless of nation. That doesn't mean that I'm not sad and pessimistic about many things in the future of my beloved U.S.
Interesting post, and certainly food for thought..

Personally, the only nation that I have ever considered living in was ( and is) Canada, partly due to my lifelong love of hockey and cold weather..

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM

326 posts, read 949,994 times
There are a couple of things I think every young person in the U.S. should do. One is to work in the service industry so when you do find the career you love you will remember your days of waiting on other people and treat service workers with the respect they deserve.

The other is to live abroad. Preferably somewhere with a language other than English. It helps to put things in perspective whether good or bad. Maybe you'll realize that you (you as in everyone, not just the OP) have it really good where you're from. Or maybe you'll realize that life is better elsewhere and your ideals and values fit better outside of the U.S. and you're still young enough to assimilate and learn to make a living in a foreign place.

I've lived and worked in 3 English speaking countries (U.S. U.K. and Canada) as well as 2 non-English speaking countries (Russia and Mexico). As well as living and working aboard boats in the Virgin Islands (technically the U.S. and U.K.) and the Bahamas.
Honestly, I think traveling and living outside of your comfort zone is the best education you can give yourself. But you will never REALLY know until you try it.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,033 times
The Bahamas seems very peaceful.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,330,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
We have issues such as growing political strife and deepening political rifts (and among the citizenry, also) among the people that actually care about the political process and the social ramifications that come with that.

We have a rapidly growing entitlement and arrogance mentality among the general population. Me, me, me. Blame parents, blame "Jersey Shore," blame the "You are special and can make anything of yourself and don't let anyone stop you" doctrine taught in public schools, blame mothers christening their daughters at age two with "Princess!!!!" everything. Whatever the cause(s) is/are, or the complex combinations, you can't deny the outcome. I know that older generations have always had some negativity toward younger generations, but I'm 25 and think that older generations really have a case this time!

Steadily declining public schools overall. Mine certainly did not prepare me for college. At all. Not even community college.

Two very fast recessions with extremely sluggish recoveries over the last ten years. No Clinton, Bush 43 or Obama bashing here: economic recoveries usually are not the sole function and contributor of a president's job and success. However, they get attributed to them. The "I think I can" train moving up the hill with a 15% slope has an engine that has been on fire from all the tension working against gravity trying to push it downhill, and it's amazing that it hasn't completely imploded. I'm not a doom and gloom sort of guy when it comes to our long-term economic health, but I really am surprised that we haven't had a drastic crash like 1929 or even 1987.

General ignorance and apathy of domestic and international political, economic, social issues. This tells you all you need to know: Place ten average high school Canadians in a classroom, then place ten average high school Americans in a separate classroom. They have no interaction with each other. Now, ask them something basic, i.e.: What are were the thirteen colonies? Or, what are the last names of our eight most recent presidents, including the incumbent? Or, name the capital of each state. You know, I betcha the Canadian kids would do as well as, if not kick the butts of, the American kids.

Even in the South, where I'm from, manners are going out the door. No, I don't hold the door open for everyone I see. However, I'm talking about just basic smiles, "please," "thank you," "hey, that's nice." Just pleasantries. Common media has played a significant role in killing common courtesy.

I'm not sure that other British-originated western nations are necessarily any better off in the long run. If I left the U.S., it would not be in the short term, but rather probably over the next 10-15 years. Some nations I'm considering are Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Fiji, Chile, and New Zealand (the exception to my British statement).

If I even did move, I'm not sure the move would necessarily be permanent. However, mark my words: We currently have 7,000,000 citizens living abroad, the highest number ever. I'm sure hundreds of thousands have even gone so drastically far as to revoke their U.S. citizenships to avoid paying the required dual taxes of their nations of employment as well as the U.S.' dreaded I.R.S. I truly think this is a trend that we will continue to see increase even as the economy gradually improves and over years to come.

I know one's personal happiness ultimately can't and shouldn't be attributed to the perceived and predicted future of their nation, regardless of nation. That doesn't mean that I'm not sad and pessimistic about many things in the future of my beloved U.S.
So, your moving question is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues