Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 AM

279 posts, read 702,709 times

Advertisements

Its not that I have anything personal against NC, its just that all my family is up north. After four years I am still homesick.

We will need to sell our house, so my question is do I try to sell it and then if I get an offer start looking for work/housing up there? I know the market is kind of slow right now. Our home is in the "starter home" category.
I just don't know how to go about it. When we moved here, we had jobs lined up and we were renting up north, so we had nothing to sell.

Any input from anyone? Realtors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
When we made the move to NC first thing we did was get a job for my husband. We worked with a recruiter that was here locally to help. We were able to do one trip that covered job interviews and checking out the area together. That long weekend included meeting w/a local realtor.
I worked with my boss to setup a transfer so no job hunt for me but the extra paperwork of moving to a different office & setting up those details.

Once he had the job in hand I stayed behind & sold that house while he moved here to start looking for homes here. For those 3 months he stayed in a tiny efficiency appt. We did a 3 month agreement w/the ability to extend month to month if needed. A little more expensive but beat being locked into rent for a year and gave us the flexibility to move once we found/closed on a house.

Talk to a selling realtor here & a purchasing realtor there. I know when we did our sale/purchase, they will often sign contracts and agreements based on the sale of a property. So even if you aren't ready to purchase right away, you may be able to tender an offer & start the process with some clause saying your house will sell. Talk to a realtor for the exact details.

Also, start now getting estimates on moving. I'd suggest at least three. And ask for price with & without them doing the packing for you. It might be less than you think to add on having them do the packing & it will save you a lot of work & hassel. Also, find out about storage options so if you do have a period between house sale here & purchase there you have somewhere to store your stuff.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
If your decision is made, you have two major tasks.
  • Find work at "home" up north.
  • Sell your NC home.
Both take prep work.
Build your resume and sales pitch for a new job while you prep your house for sale.
Get an agent or agents in to assess your home, what tweaks it needs to sell quickly at a good price in the market, and a likely sales price.

Your resources have a lot of impact on your courses of action.
Do you have family support at home, a place where you can crash for a while, or for trips to the area, while job hunting?
Can you afford to rent while selling your home, so you can be up north actively in the job market?

And, I am sorry it didn't work out for you. The absence of old friends and family can be difficult, for sure.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times
Good advice above.

Jobs first. Get those resumes out there. Crank up the network of family and friends. Tell them you're aching to come home and to be on the look out. 70% of jobs are found via contacts. Someone who knows someone who knows...

House next. Now is the best time of the year to get your home on the market, particularly a starter home. Physician residents just went through their matching process and are looking for homes. Families wanting to move over the summer are starting their search.

Clear out the clutter. Garage sale, Goodwill, etc. Get one of those moving pods to load up that which you must keep but don't need for showing the house. Finish up those projects. Paint neutral colors. Get the yard in shape. Pots of flowers are on sale. Interview realtors. Go through other homes for sale to get a realistic idea of what yours is worth. If you bought it four years ago, you may be looking at a loss. That's life.

We sold our home about this time last year. Our realtor included a professional photographer and stager in her services. They did wonders. Highly recommend both.

Get your checklists going and by this time next year, you'll be back home.

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBound2012 View Post
Its not that I have anything personal against NC, its just that all my family is up north. After four years I am still homesick.

We will need to sell our house, so my question is do I try to sell it and then if I get an offer start looking for work/housing up there? I know the market is kind of slow right now. Our home is in the "starter home" category.
I just don't know how to go about it. When we moved here, we had jobs lined up and we were renting up north, so we had nothing to sell.
Any input from anyone? Realtors?
I'm doing the same thing. I've been in NC for 14 years away from family and moving back up north in June.

I have my house rented out right now. I thought that was best thing to do given the slow market now. It's went well renting it out and it gives me time to recover from the cost of moving, get settled in to my new place and focus on other things. But it does depend on how your house value is to sell it, the rent you can get for it, whether you just want to take it off your hands etc.

I would have a job lined it. That the smart thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues