Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 AM

312 posts, read 797,761 times

Advertisements

"Forgive me if I get too one sided but I have seen more good hardworking people crawl through hell on broken glass Vs. those who had great luck despite doing the bare minimum or below."

Same here. I have met some of the best people, and worst, in homeless shelters, and some of the people in these shelters would knock the socks off many people in the conventional "workplace" as far as integrity and strength of character.

Many of our military veterans are in shelters as we speak. I have seen veterans arrive in shelters still in their uniforms. That is truly a tragedy and dishonor, but most ARE getting the assistance they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I have done some "car camping" when I was younger...it can be done...you can usually park safely in the back of the Wal Mart parking lot. Get a gym membership so you can shower...work every day, work out at night, have a storage locker for stuff, and live in the car...been there, done it. Until you get your bearings, and decide where to live. Of course, this is not a plan with kids, pets...

Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Sorry PacificFlights and Minerva, I cannot disagree with both of you more.

Sounds like you and I have 180 degree opposite political views. I stand 100% by my comments. Sorry if you disagree.

If you have a problem with the concept of food stamps and Medicare and see our critically needed social safety net as "leeching", I can't convince you to change your mind about my position on relocation.
SAFETY NET! Yes, that is what it is! You on the other hand isn't using it as a safety net, it is a way of life, a use it because its available instead of the Safety Net you claim. That means you're nothing but a mooching welfare bum! I;m sorry, no matter how you cut it, no matter how you twist it, no matter how you distort it, and No Matter How Much You Attempt To Take The Focus Off Your Actions And Try To Focus It On Those Who Call It As They See It, you are not using the system as intended; you are using it as a part of your lifestyle choice. That once again adds up to nothing but a bum who is mooching and abusing the welfare system. I would have more respect had you said you were a falilure in life and needed a fresh start and this was your only avanue, but to make it sound like some well meaning and respectable system of relocating, no way am I going to buy that line of rubbish. Welfare moocher bum, plain and simple....

Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
I like this thread a lot. Gives me hope!

I am planning a big move early 2013. So many people are saying "you must hae a job or dont even think about it" or "you cant move across the country alone!" or "you will never make it, you'll be back."

To all of them I say "WATCH ME!"

I have a basic plan, I know what I WANT to do, I just haven't worked out all the "hows" yet. It's just something I need to do, and I will.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 AM

51 posts, read 94,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Forgive me if I get too one sided but I have seen more good hardworking people crawl through hell on broken glass Vs. those who had great luck despite doing the bare minimum or below.
I too have seen the same thing. I myself personally, had only 2 jobs in the last 24 yrs. The first one, I was in my 14th year and the company "closed the doors" without any notice and left over 250 people with out a job. The second was with a non-profit and staff went from 20 to 5. They got rid of everyone that was making the higher salary's, including the Executive Director. So it happens..
I'm thinking very seriously about making a move across country because in 5 months and numerous interviews I still haven't landed a job. Altho I do have a bit of cash saved and I will have a place to stay, I don't wanna make a move without a solid job lined up. I prefer to live on my own and not feel like I'm mooching off of anyone else, but that's just me.

Great thread with lots of insight!!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
This is a great thread here. While I commend the OP, I would never move homeless or anything like that. I think are standards some of us have, and what is the smart thing to do. Of course, if you are unable to save up money, then that's your only option.

I'm moving across the country without a job, but with savings. And some people think I'm crazy for doing that!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
It isn't unrealistic at all. It's the smart thing to do. Maybe you can't get all three of those lined up, but you should have at least 2 of 3. I moved without a job, but I had money saved to cover my expenses while I got a job in my new city. To just up and move with no clue what you're going to do when you arrive may be brave for some, but I just see it as foolish. If you want to be successful at life then you need to plan for success. And I agree with a previous poster. Homeless shelters are for people down on their luck. They shouldn't be used for people who moved to a new city without a place to live. That is not what they are intended for!
Don't get me wrong, I agree that you should always plan for success, but there are so many scenarios where this just isn't able to pan out.

For example, my friend has lived his whole live in a trailer with his mother, alcoholic father, half brother, and his half brother's two children. The second he graduated high school, he had to take whatever job was given to him because his grades really weren't high enough to get into any college worth going through. He worked 50 hours a week at a distribution company making minimum wage. Everyone in his family except for his mother was unemployed and had drug/alcohol issues.

My friend couldn't stand to see his half brother's two children grow up in a terrible situation so he made his half brother give them to his ex girlfriend's parents along with paying as much as he could to her parents in order to give the children a better life. His mother came down with cancer a short time after and she was unable to work. My friend couldn't find a second job. The father was useless; always drinking away whatever savings they had.

So the point of the story is that you can't always save and you sometimes are forced to think in the moment instead of for the future. Not everyone is handed great opportunities with financial, emotional, and family stability/support.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Some have no choice for various reasons. It can be done. I have done it. A few times. Scary at first, but once you learn the system it gets a little easier. For some people this is the ONLY way they can relocate. Not everyone has $5000 saved up or a job that pays relocation expenses.
How many times in the last 10 years have you relocated? And why have you been "homeless" almost every time? This is a ridiculous thing to "make a career" of doing!

The first time, it's an accident. The second time, it's a choice.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry PacificFlights and Minerva, I cannot disagree with both of you more.

Sounds like you and I have 180 degree opposite political views. I stand 100% by my comments. Sorry if you disagree.

If you have a problem with the concept of food stamps and Medicare and see our critically needed social safety net as "leeching", I can't convince you to change your mind about my position on relocation.

Oh and by the way, I do NOT advocate "welfare" as a permanent lifestyle. I want people to work, but I also want the Fortune 500 companies to stop making excuses and start hiring people - AND paying some taxes for a change.

Also, in my experience, people like you never want talented, productive people to move to YOUR city, even IF they have money saved up. Those horrible, unfriendly attitudes really bug ME.

This was not intended to become a political rant, but some people really know how to push my "liberal" buttons!!!
You're a "liberal." Go figure.

What you've described here, and elsewhere, is to be a parasite to society. You're bored with life in one place, so you demand that people provide for your needs as you meander around, looking for something that tickles your fancy.

Do you have ANY conscience? Does it NOT bother you that YOU are sponging resources that SHOULD be used for people who are legitimately in need? Does it NOT bother you that a baby somewhere may very well be going hungry because YOU used what he/she COULD have had?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I stand 100% by my comments and statements, and deeply believe that as taken and considered with all the other comments on this site, will absolutely be of help to someone making major life decisions. People on this thread have already said as much and I thank them for it.
I'm going to assume that, being a TRUE liberal, you have donated thousands of dollars in money and food to various "shelters" and food pantries, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues