Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 01:56 PM

24 posts, read 39,899 times

Advertisements

Within the next year, I hope to be moving out of my parents house for the first time. The problem is, I'm a little lost in regard to the best strategy for finding a roommate. Originally, a friend had agreed to allow me to rent one of the rooms in his condo. This would have been an ideal arrangement. However, he is now engaged and his wife will be moving in with him. None of my other acquaintances or friends are interested, so the only place I have left to turn is the internet.

So far, Craigslist and Roomster have been the only places I've looked on the internet. There seem to be plenty of people on there, so I haven't felt the need to look elsewhere (though, I am open to suggestions). Here is my dilemma. Whenever I post an advertisement on Craigslist with a brief description of who I am, what my lifestyle is, the area I want to live in, and which states that I'm looking for somebody to find an apartment with, I get bombarded with low quality responses. I mean one sentence responses, responses that sound "shady," people who sound irresponsible, and land lords trying to get me to rent from them (in almost all cases, this has involved being given prices that are way above my range).

In regard to Roomster, I'm just not sure I can handle the demographic on there. I eventually gave up on it when all I found were "crazy party people." There's a university very near me, and apparently, Roomster is popular there.

I got to thinking, maybe I would get better responses on Craigslist if I entered into a leasing agreement for a 2 bedroom apartment that I could afford to pay on my own, and then advertised it as a room for rent. Would you all say this would be a better strategy? Or am I totally off course here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 02:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
First, be careful with Craigslist. It used to be more straight forward but has more questionalble items now.

And be careful with friends. It may sound like the best possible thing go share a place with your best friend, or even a good friend. But there are many small things which come up and you may end up losing a friend over them. Little things like who was supposed to wash the dishes and who ate what can wear down things fast.

Someone who you can know well enough to have some idea about but isn't a friend is a better option. And make rules and each agrees and follows them. When your roomate is not happy about things nobody has a good time. If your dating, especially, this can get thorney.

I don't know about the online listings, but if you rent a place you can afford and sublease, this has to be in your rental agreement that you have. Otherwise they can make your renter move out, or maybe you too. If I were you I'd find a small place for yourself first, and then later if you decide you need a roomate, find a larger one where both names go on the lease/rental agreement. Find the person you think you can see every day first.

Good luck and take care so you'll enjoy making your own life.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:44 AM

660 posts, read 1,007,155 times
Default Sound advice

Yeah - this is really excellent advice.

Craigslist is a great resource for roommates, but you'd really need to screen someone carefully, and make sure it's OK with your landlord/property management company.

Remember that once someone is on a lease with you -- you are both pretty much stuck with one another for a while -- and if "things go south" life can become VERY awkward (and costly); I have been there once, so I know.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Yeah - this is really excellent advice.

Craigslist is a great resource for roommates, but you'd really need to screen someone carefully, and make sure it's OK with your landlord/property management company.

Remember that once someone is on a lease with you -- you are both pretty much stuck with one another for a while -- and if "things go south" life can become VERY awkward (and costly); I have been there once, so I know.
My friend from college had rented at my dad's first, then we moved out and got an apartment. We were really good friends. Then she met someone I actually introduced to her. He and I didn't get along, someone from work. We had five months left on the lease when she decided to move out and in with him. She did this three weeks into the month. She at least gave me part of her half for the next month but it was the end of a friendship.

My landlord had been told of a water leak she didn't want to fix, so when I ask a guy friend I met if he wanted to move in and he accepted, I told her she'd moved and I had someone moving in. Oh, and when are you going to get someone out on the water leak? She decided they needed his name but if he would sign something that was all they needed. And of course the rent.

But it taught me that relations between you and your roommate are a real minefield, and you don't make rules which both agree with you can be in a real hurt. And if your both dating, then you come up with a plan and keep to it before or you may find you have one less roomate one day.

You should treat it like each of you was renting a room to the other and think of all the things you might want to talk about first.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:10 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
The best strategy would be to increase your income so you never have to have a roommate. Why don't you stay with your parents until then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues